[SOLVED] Upgrading ML120 Pro RGB worth it?

edwin989

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
I am on a custom watercooling loop with 13900k and two Corsair 360mm radiators, XR5 and XR7.
I made the mistake of buying the older ML120 PRO RGB fans. I just found out they have mediocre performance and performs worse than the non-RGB ML 120 fans.
I don't think the current fans have enough static pressure/airflow to dissipate the heat from the radiators as I can reach up to 46c coolant temp and 70-80c CPU temp in Battlefield V.

Will I see a temp decrease if I change to the ML120 Elite RGB fans? Since it has higher CFM, static pressure with the air vanes and all?

Or maybe I should go for Lian Li SL120 Infinity? Thanks

Solution
You should recognize that the CFM rating of any fan is the MAX - that is, that is what it can do only when running at its max speed. The automatic fan speed control system for the fans on your rad actually is driven by TEMPERATURE measured inside the CPU chip by a sensor. That system decides to speed up or slow down the fans according to that temperature, and it does NOT care what the fan speed is. It only will tell the fans to do more or less cooling to get to the temperature target it has set.

So IF your current system yields temps you think too high AND the fans already are running at max speed, then yes, changing to other fans with a higher max CFM rating and / or Pressure rating can give your system more ability to cool the CPU...

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
There is absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading to an ML120. Its a decent water cooler and thats about it.

The question here should be, whats your current cooling solution? If you have lets say a CoolerMaster Hyper212. Then it wouldnt be worth it as they bring about the same amount of performance.

2nd, what processor are you using? A 120mm radiator can only support up to so much, from personal experience itll only go up to a 105w comfortably. Anything higher like a 150w processor might give it a challenge.

And lastly, your expectation and its price.

It is common knowledge that air coolers are just about as good or even better than 120mm Radiators. Depending on model. If you're wanting a cooling solution that will improve your thermals from lets say, a stock ryzen or intel cooler. This will definitely do that. But lets say you just want to migrate to a water cooled setup from an Air cooled one, I.e. coming from a hyper 212. In that case it really isnt worth it, the only benefit there is aesthetics not really function or performance.

Not to mention you WILL have to replace a water cooler after around 6 years of use. While Aftermarket air coolers will only need their fans replaced which is easier and cheaper.

And of course price, you will see that the ML120 will cost similarly or slightly more expensive than some air coolers out there. Just know the price premium here is just for looks and the water-cooled theme.

But like they say, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you want to look great. Water cooling always does that. If youd rather want function and performance. Id suggest an air cooler. Hyper 212 for example.

Disclaimer: The ML120 is not BAD. Its actually quite decent. But it all depends where you're coming from.

edwin989

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
There is absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading to an ML120. Its a decent water cooler and thats about it.

The question here should be, whats your current cooling solution? If you have lets say a CoolerMaster Hyper212. Then it wouldnt be worth it as they bring about the same amount of performance.

2nd, what processor are you using? A 120mm radiator can only support up to so much, from personal experience itll only go up to a 105w comfortably. Anything higher like a 150w processor might give it a challenge.

And lastly, your expectation and its price.

It is common knowledge that air coolers are just about as good or even better than 120mm Radiators. Depending on model. If you're wanting a cooling solution that will improve your thermals from lets say, a stock ryzen or intel cooler. This will definitely do that. But lets say you just want to migrate to a water cooled setup from an Air cooled one, I.e. coming from a hyper 212. In that case it really isnt worth it, the only benefit there is aesthetics not really function or performance.

Not to mention you WILL have to replace a water cooler after around 6 years of use. While Aftermarket air coolers will only need their fans replaced which is easier and cheaper.

And of course price, you will see that the ML120 will cost similarly or slightly more expensive than some air coolers out there. Just know the price premium here is just for looks and the water-cooled theme.

But like they say, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you want to look great. Water cooling always does that. If youd rather want function and performance. Id suggest an air cooler. Hyper 212 for example.

Disclaimer: The ML120 is not BAD. Its actually quite decent. But it all depends where you're coming from.

Hi, I meant that I am upgrading from the ML 120 PRO RGBs to a better fan like the more recently released ML 120 Elite RGB.

I am using an Intel 13900k and my current cooling setup is a custom loop with a distro plate. Do you think simply changing the fans will decrease my temps in this case?

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
Hi, I meant that I am upgrading from the ML 120 PRO RGBs to a better fan like the more recently released ML 120 Elite RGB.

I am using an Intel 13900k and my current cooling setup is a custom loop with a distro plate. Do you think simply changing the fans will decrease my temps in this case?
Oh i see, I did some digging, and yes. im pretty sure it will, but just limit your expectation. When you’ve reached a stage and a build such as yours, well theres only so much youll reach. But safe to say it will. Also forgive me for my previous reply, I had it confused.

Best of luck!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should recognize that the CFM rating of any fan is the MAX - that is, that is what it can do only when running at its max speed. The automatic fan speed control system for the fans on your rad actually is driven by TEMPERATURE measured inside the CPU chip by a sensor. That system decides to speed up or slow down the fans according to that temperature, and it does NOT care what the fan speed is. It only will tell the fans to do more or less cooling to get to the temperature target it has set.

So IF your current system yields temps you think too high AND the fans already are running at max speed, then yes, changing to other fans with a higher max CFM rating and / or Pressure rating can give your system more ability to cool the CPU. BUT if they are NOT running full speed, changing to new fans likely will only allow your system to achieve the SAME CPU temps (within a degree or two) by using slower speeds on the more powerful fans. Not what you are looking for.

If you WANT to reduce your CPU temps, you may well be able to do that with your existing fans IF they never are running at max speed. You do not tell us where those rad fans are plugged in or what tool is used for control their speeds. I will assume (risky?) they are plugged into the CPU_FAN header and it is using its default automatic control system. Look closely at the configuration options for the CPU_FAN header. Most such systems have an option to change the "fan curve" that chooses how fast to run the fans according to the temperature reading. Sometimes this is just altering the existing fan curve; sometimes you must change from Standard (default) curve to a Custom curve you set. Either way, YOU can choose to tell it to run your existing fans faster at most temperatures, and that will force the temps down.

Solution