Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
Hey guys. So first of all, this is my current setup:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz
• GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus XS 6GB OC
• RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz
• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B350 F-Gaming
• PSU: Nox Urano VX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Edition

With the new Battlefield game coming out, which I'm very excited to play, I was thinking about making an upgrade. I think my main problem here might be the CPU as I've noticed some bottleneck in Battlefield V for example. I have a laptop with a 1660 Ti and an i5-10300H and I can't stress you enough how much of a better performance I have on it compared to my desktop.

My budget should be around 200€ + whatever I make from selling my 1700 and I was thinking about something like a Ryzen 7 3800X or a Ryzen 5 5600X so I don't have to change my MoBo.

I've been kinda out of PC building in the last 2 or 3 years so I don't really know what's "hot" right now. What are your guys' thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
The specs for your motherboard say support for the 3xxx processors, Likely you would need to upgrade the bios to support same.
From a processor point of view, that is a nice upgrade.

But, many games are more graphics limited than cpu limited.
To assure yourself that a cpu upgrade will be effective, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

It turns out that the I5-10300H that has only 8 threads still has a stronger single thread performance than the 16 thread 1700.
Many games still...
Last edited:
Reactions: Jh4nTy

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
i was wrong on the naming conventions yes :p

that's why i removed the comment

problem for OP is I found conflicting info on wether his 350 mobo will support it

https://pangoly.com/en/review/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-gaming/compatibility/cpu

VS

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING.html

oh, i see. I had just woken from a nap when i posted, and when i saw your reply i questioned everything i know :D

perhaps the official cpu support list from the asus website would be the most accurate. Let me check…

Edit: Here it is, it seems to support up to the 3950x.

The specs for your motherboard say support for the 3xxx processors, Likely you would need to upgrade the bios to support same.

If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

It turns out that the I5-10300H that has only 8 threads still has a stronger single thread performance than the 16 thread 1700.
Many games still depend primarily on the single thread performance of the master thread.
A 3700x upgrade would would have similar single thread performance as the 10300H. 3800x a tad better.

Solution

Jh4nTy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016

Many games still depend primarily on the single thread performance of the master thread.
A 3700x upgrade would would have similar single thread performance as the 10300H. 3800x a tad better.
What do you mean by eye candy? I gotta make that test once I can

Yeah, I figured the 10300H had better single core performance. In Battlefield V with the same settings on both systems, I'm having a 30-40 fps difference at times (more on the Intel). BF2042 will probably be my main game when it comes out and I suppose I'll have a similar performance to BFV since they run on the same engine. I think my RTX 2060 is still good enough for it so that's why I think my 1700 is my current weaklink on this setup. Do you think I'll have a good increase in performance switiching to a 3700X or 3800X? Is it worth the upgrade?

What do you mean by eye candy? I gotta make that test once I can

Yeah, I figured the 10300H had better single core performance. In Battlefield V with the same settings on both systems, I'm having a 30-40 fps difference at times (more on the Intel). BF2042 will probably be my main game when it comes out and I suppose I'll have a similar performance to BFV since they run on the same engine. I think my RTX 2060 is still good enough for it so that's why I think my 1700 is my current weaklink on this setup. Do you think I'll have a good increase in performance switiching to a 3700X or 3800X? Is it worth the upgrade?
By eye candy, I mean quality settings. The more details or anti aliasing you set, the harder the graphics card has to work.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
OP’s budget is €200, which converted to my local currency is roughly the price of a 3600. 3800x is double that where im at. So i think he should look at that first.

I couldn’t justify spending double when the cheaper 3600 is good enough most of the time…

Jh4nTy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
That suggests to me, that your cpu is your limiter.
Most likely the single thread performance.
Here is a link to the passmark rating of the r7-1700:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+1700&id=2970
compare to other potential upgrades, the single thread rating of 1990 is what you want to improve.
Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for all your help! I’ll try and go for the 3800X but only by the end of the year. Is there anything newer coming out until then? From AMD I mean.

Jh4nTy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
OP’s budget is €200, which converted to my local currency is roughly the price of a 3600. 3800x is double that where im at. So i think he should look at that first.

I couldn’t justify spending double when the cheaper 3600 is good enough most of the time…
3800X costs 299€ where I live. My budget is 200€ but I believe I can resell my 1700 for roughly 100€.

Lol. So about the gpu. So I had a gtx 1660 Super that I bought at msrp of 220-230 dollars. Once people started going wild over graphics cards, I ended up selling that card for almost 500 since I wasn’t using my pc as much etc, and bought a gtx 970, which is what I’m using now.

However, recently , I’ve started getting back into the pc a bit, and actually found a gtx 1070, which is being shipped now. That should be about the same performance as the 1660 Super.

Don’t get me wrong, the 1700 was not a bad cpu. I play at 1080p, but I also have a 144hz monitor. So for me personally, I just felt like when using the 1660 Super especially, that game play was just smoother and did not glitch as much.

For example, I have far cry 5. With the 1700, you’d be pretty high on settings at 1080p, driving along and the screen would sometimes glitch for a microsecond. With the 3600, I didn’t feel like that happened as often if at all. Just things like that. Again the 1700 is a good cpu, but it seemed like on some things that single core performance boost was noticeable sometimes in intangible ways.

What else usually works out for me is I have a tendency to sell my old hardware. I think I sold my 1700 for about 100 dollars after I got the 3600, so that made it nice as well. When I get the 1070 for example I’ll probably sell the 970 for 150-200 to lessen the financial hit of the 1070.

Jh4nTy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
Lol. So about the gpu. So I had a gtx 1660 Super that I bought at msrp of 220-230 dollars. Once people started going wild over graphics cards, I ended up selling that card for almost 500 since I wasn’t using my pc as much etc, and bought a gtx 970, which is what I’m using now.

However, recently , I’ve started getting back into the pc a bit, and actually found a gtx 1070, which is being shipped now. That should be about the same performance as the 1660 Super.

Don’t get me wrong, the 1700 was not a bad cpu. I play at 1080p, but I also have a 144hz monitor. So for me personally, I just felt like when using the 1660 Super especially, that game play was just smoother and did not glitch as much.

For example, I have far cry 5. With the 1700, you’d be pretty high on settings at 1080p, driving along and the screen would sometimes glitch for a microsecond. With the 3600, I didn’t feel like that happened as often if at all. Just things like that. Again the 1700 is a good cpu, but it seemed like on some things that single core performance boost was noticeable sometimes in intangible ways.

What else usually works out for me is I have a tendency to sell my old hardware. I think I sold my 1700 for about 100 dollars after I got the 3600, so that made it nice as well. When I get the 1070 for example I’ll probably sell the 970 for 150-200 to lessen the financial hit of the 1070.
Yeah, I usually resell my old hardware whenever I upgrade it so I can at least recover something. And yeah, 1700 isn’t a bad CPU but it’s like you said… in some heavier games that single core performance hurts a bit.