[SOLVED] Upgrading my system and would like to know your opinion.

Oct 6, 2020
Hello everyone,
I hope that you and your families are staying safe and healthy.

So, I want to "upgrade" my old PC to be able to sustain or carry out some processes I happen to suffer from my current build. I am currently an engineering undergraduate, so I need a lot of computational power when it comes to AI, machine learning, 3D modeling and simulation, photo rendering, and some video editing. Also, I would like to play some games in my free time. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I try some new demanding games from time to time and play some online games as well.

My current build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFPLrr

So I had this build as you can see since generation 3 in intel came out so it is pretty old. I had no VGA card at first, and then I updated my build with a GTX 1060 MSI Gaming X like 2 years ago with the extra 2TB hard drive.

So, I have always been dealing with intel as my processor. However, when I got into engineering I figured that it would be way more efficient to have Ryzen as my processor for its higher multi-threading qualities. So, I would like to know which is better regarding what I need and if the new intel technologies got better in terms of multi-threading.

My new build:
First one with AMD Processor: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LpBYcT
The second one with Intel Processor: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9xHLrr
The only differences are just the motherboard and the processor.

I would also want to know how big of loss when I get RAM memory of CAS Latency 16 compared to CAS latency 14 because in my country I only have the Trident Z and Ripjaws in CAS Latency 16 and Flare X in CAS Latency 14. The Trident Z has a cool RGB look which I would like to have, but the RGB wouldn't really matter that much if it will affect the performance by a considerate/visible amount.

Finally, is there a considerable benefit from getting the Ryzen 3800XT instead of Ryzen 3800X? And, should I wait for the release of Ryzen 5800X which should be out in the coming week? I know that the X570 supports the Zen 3 of Ryzen, but I am worried about the cost of the processor since the benchmarks show that it will beat the intel core i9 10900K and also the time it would be available in my country because I would like to get the new upgrade before November by max.

I am open to any suggestions/improvements you may have as well without increasing the budget considerably.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your patience and time for reading.

Solution
I live in Egypt. The local currency is around 17,000 EGP which is around $1100.

Okay, so according to the cooler, I can just stay with the stock cooler for now and change later if the noise is too loud.

For the PSU I understood your concerns from the hyperlink. Do you have any other recommendation that is a bit cheaper?

I wanted more calibration about the effect of CAS latency and that really helped a lot. I will get the 3600 MHz.

Thanks again so much for your support
For a PSU I would look at what Jonnyguru says on this forum post.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/#post-21736677
Jonnyguru used to run one of the best PSU review sites, now he is the R&D Head at Corsair. Basically...
Hello everyone,
I hope that you and your families are staying safe and healthy.

So, I want to "upgrade" my old PC to be able to sustain or carry out some processes I happen to suffer from my current build. I am currently an engineering undergraduate, so I need a lot of computational power when it comes to AI, machine learning, 3D modeling and simulation, photo rendering, and some video editing. Also, I would like to play some games in my free time. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I try some new demanding games from time to time and play some online games as well.

My current build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFPLrr

So I had this build as you can see since generation 3 in intel came out so it is pretty old. I had no VGA card at first, and then I updated my build with a GTX 1060 MSI Gaming X like 2 years ago with the extra 2TB hard drive.

So, I have always been dealing with intel as my processor. However, when I got into engineering I figured that it would be way more efficient to have Ryzen as my processor for its higher multi-threading qualities. So, I would like to know which is better regarding what I need and if the new intel technologies got better in terms of multi-threading.

My new build:
First one with AMD Processor: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LpBYcT
The second one with Intel Processor: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9xHLrr
The only differences are just the motherboard and the processor.

I would also want to know how big of loss when I get RAM memory of CAS Latency 16 compared to CAS latency 14 because in my country I only have the Trident Z and Ripjaws in CAS Latency 16 and Flare X in CAS Latency 14. The Trident Z has a cool RGB look which I would like to have, but the RGB wouldn't really matter that much if it will affect the performance by a considerate/visible amount.

Finally, is there a considerable benefit from getting the Ryzen 3800XT instead of Ryzen 3800X? And, should I wait for the release of Ryzen 5800X which should be out in the coming week? I know that the X570 supports the Zen 3 of Ryzen, but I am worried about the cost of the processor since the benchmarks show that it will beat the intel core i9 10900K and also the time it would be available in my country because I would like to get the new upgrade before November by max.

I am open to any suggestions/improvements you may have as well without increasing the budget considerably.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your patience and time for reading.
First you want to get a new PSU. That Seasonic was good years ago but not anymore. Secondly I would just go with the 3700X instead. The difference in performance between it and the 3800X isn't worth the difference in price. Third not worth the money for they RAM. You won't gain much performance but spend a lot more.

The added cooler isn't needed but will keep the 3700X cool and quiet.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($466.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1669.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-06 19:03 EDT-0400

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Oct 6, 2020
The added cooler isn't needed but will keep the 3700X cool and quiet.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($466.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1669.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-06 19:03 EDT-0400

Hello Jeremy,
Thank you for the fast reply and your time

I would like to note that my local stores do not have some of the components in the market and other components are at a higher price when compared to amazon. Also, shipping from amazon is not always a preferred approach here due to shipment and import fees which puts the value of the product at almost double its price.

For example, the Arctic cooler and the HP 1 TB are not available in my country, while the power supply costs around $209.85 which is almost double the price and above my budget. I know that my power supply is not modular and is lacking a 4-pin ATX 12V power rail, but from my understanding is that this power rail is only needed for extreme overclocking which I will not be doing, and the modularity will help in cable management but it is not the main reason for me to opt for a modern power supply right concerning my budget as long as it can supply the power the system needs.

Regarding the other components, I am agreeing with the motherboard option for the better VRMs and I think if I want to go with X570 a version of TOMAHAWK would be a better version with X570 on the compromise of budget. I don't think I would agree with the Ram choice here since they are close in price in my country but the ones I am intending to use have lower latency which is supposed to be better. Also, the processor works around 3200 MHz so I would not need 3600 Mhz.

Correct me if I am wrong in any of these debates.

Again thank you for your response.

Hello Jeremy,
Thank you for the fast reply and your time

I would like to note that my local stores do not have some of the components in the market and other components are at a higher price when compared to amazon. Also, shipping from amazon is not always a preferred approach here due to shipment and import fees which puts the value of the product at almost double its price.

For example, the Arctic cooler and the HP 1 TB are not available in my country, while the power supply costs around $209.85 which is almost double the price and above my budget. I know that my power supply is not modular and is lacking a 4-pin ATX 12V power rail, but from my understanding is that this power rail is only needed for extreme overclocking which I will not be doing, and the modularity will help in cable management but it is not the main reason for me to opt for a modern power supply right concerning my budget as long as it can supply the power the system needs.

Regarding the other components, I am agreeing with the motherboard option for the better VRMs and I think if I want to go with X570 a version of TOMAHAWK would be a better version with X570 on the compromise of budget. I don't think I would agree with the Ram choice here since they are close in price in my country but the ones I am intending to use have lower latency which is supposed to be better. Also, the processor works around 3200 MHz so I would not need 3600 Mhz.

Correct me if I am wrong in any of these debates.

Again thank you for your response.
First what country are you in and what is your budget in local currency?

The Ryzen comes with a decent ~125W TDP cooler. The 3700X will only pull about 88W Max so the only real reason to get a different cooler would be if the included one is too loud.

The PSU you have is old and group regulated. You do not want to use an old group regulated PSU on a modern system.

Right now you can get some very good B550 motherboards and the B550 Tomahawk is one of those. For the RAM 3200MHz is the minimum that you should get right now for a Ryzen. The Ryzen CPUs love faster RAM and assuming the difference in price isn't huge, like less than $15 for 32GB RAM, going with 3600MHz RAM will add a bit more performance. When it comes to RAM latency, it doesn't make much difference anymore. For example DDR4-3200MHz CS14 will only be 1-2% (at best) faster than DDR4-3200MHz CS16. The reason for this is that the percentage difference between 14 & 16 is much smaller than it was between 3 & 6 way back in the DDR1 era.

Oct 6, 2020
First what country are you in and what is your budget in local currency?

The Ryzen comes with a decent ~125W TDP cooler. The 3700X will only pull about 88W Max so the only real reason to get a different cooler would be if the included one is too loud.

The PSU you have is old and group regulated. You do not want to use an old group regulated PSU on a modern system.

Right now you can get some very good B550 motherboards and the B550 Tomahawk is one of those. For the RAM 3200MHz is the minimum that you should get right now for a Ryzen. The Ryzen CPUs love faster RAM and assuming the difference in price isn't huge, like less than $15 for 32GB RAM, going with 3600MHz RAM will add a bit more performance. When it comes to RAM latency, it doesn't make much difference anymore. For example DDR4-3200MHz CS14 will only be 1-2% (at best) faster than DDR4-3200MHz CS16. The reason for this is that the percentage difference between 14 & 16 is much smaller than it was between 3 & 6 way back in the DDR1 era.

Okay, so according to the cooler, I can just stay with the stock cooler for now and change later if the noise is too loud.

For the PSU I understood your concerns from the hyperlink. Do you have any other recommendation that is a bit cheaper?

I wanted more calibration about the effect of CAS latency and that really helped a lot. I will get the 3600 MHz.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/#post-21736677
Jonnyguru used to run one of the best PSU review sites, now he is the R&D Head at Corsair. Basically he has forgotten more about PSUs than most people will ever know.

Correct for the cooler you can keep the stock and if it too loud get a different one.

Solution
Oct 6, 2020
Jonnyguru used to run one of the best PSU review sites, now he is the R&D Head at Corsair. Basically, he has forgotten more about PSUs than most people will ever know.

Correct for the cooler you can keep the stock and if it too loud get a different one.

I checked the post and found 3 PSUs that would be convenient with my budget.
  1. Cooler Master MWE - V2 650w White 80 PLUS with DC-TO-DC + LLC - 1,150 EGP
  2. Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 700W Gold - 1,750 EGP
  3. Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze - 1,850 EGP
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Continuous-PS-TPD-0700Nnfagu-1/dp/B07LGMZV1H
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA

I wouldn't mind adding the extra money to get one of the second or third PSU if it is worth compared with the cheaper cooler master. If you were to choose one of them, what would be your choice, and why?

Thank you again for your support

I checked the post and found 3 PSUs that would be convenient with my budget.
  1. Cooler Master MWE - V2 650w White 80 PLUS with DC-TO-DC + LLC - 1,150 EGP
  2. Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 700W Gold - 1,750 EGP
  3. Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze - 1,850 EGP
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Continuous-PS-TPD-0700Nnfagu-1/dp/B07LGMZV1H
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA

I wouldn't mind adding the extra money to get one of the second or third PSU if it is worth compared with the cheaper cooler master. If you were to choose one of them, what would be your choice, and why?

Thank you again for your support
I would say that of the 3 the Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 is the best of those. It is a budget 80+ Gold PSU based on a modern platform. The fans might be a bit noisy, however, the added efficiency might help a lot in the Egyptian climate. The Cooler Master MWE V2 & Corsair CX are about equal. A little bit of information can be found on the GX1 here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16831-Thermaltake-Toughpower-GX1

Are you able to get this PSU instead for around the same price? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCHN1F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 Compared to the MWE V2, GX1, & CX it is vastly superior. It is based on the Seasonic Focus Gold platform which is highly regarded, comes with a 7 year warranty, runs pretty quiet, and has all high quality internal components. You would just have to make sure it is the one with all black wires. With your setup a 550W would be enough, going with a 650W would allow for an RTX 3070 GPU to be added later.

Last edited:

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hello and welcome, I took a look at your current rig and off the bat couple things concern me besides what jeremy said about the SeaSonic PSU is the 8GB of RAM and no SSD. You can really rejuvinate your box if you get a cheap SSD and 16GB RAM Kit at bare minimum as I assume you use WIndows 10 and it likes to put things in cache a lot for faster opening or doing thing since its in the RAM cache. This uses up your 8GB and you suffer with stutters in games and slowness in Windows 10 and what not. You said Machine Learning and off the bat I told myself he needs a Intel CPU. I am not to keen on AMD technology to tell you which way to go, however from what you described I would get a Intel system just for the Machine Learning but I think AMD has their own technology and calls it something else. That processor actually is not that bad for general desktop usage and some AAA titles at low resolution with medium settings. What is your budget? TLDR 🙈

You can do CPU MOBO and RAM upgrade and toss in a SSD for 70 bucks. You can go Ryzen but as I said I am not to keen on their technology regarding machine learning however I know Intel has this technology. You can sway either way but IMHO if your really into machine learning perhaps a Intel CPU could be better for you. You already have a great video card that can dish out 60fps easily in most AAA titles. I, also as Jeremy said would look into the 3700x as that is the best bang for your buck. I along with Jeremy can help you get the best bang for your buck system. Also Jeremy did say 3070 however if your not a hard core gamer I would stick with what you have IMHO.. As for PSU listen to Jeremy on that one, as I have no place to talk about that as Jeremy already did. I personally would be weary of a Thermaltake PSU. I would personally choose the Corsair CX series 650w as your choice for budget mid tier PSU, but that is just me. If it is to expensive grab the Cooler Master as Jeremy said.🤷‍♀️🎗💯👽👶

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020
I would say that of the 3 the Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 is the best of those. It is a budget 80+ Gold PSU based on a modern platform. The fans might be a bit noisy, however, the added efficiency might help a lot in the Egyptian climate. The Cooler Master MWE V2 & Corsair CX are about equal. A little bit of information can be found on the GX1 here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16831-Thermaltake-Toughpower-GX1

Are you able to get this PSU instead for around the same price? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCHN1F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 Compared to the MWE V2, GX1, & CX it is vastly superior. It is based on the Seasonic Focus Gold platform which is highly regarded, comes with a 7 year warranty, runs pretty quiet, and has all high quality internal components. You would just have to make sure it is the one with all black wires. With your setup a 550W would be enough, going with a 650W would allow for an RTX 3070 GPU to be added later.

Unfortunately, the only Antec version in my local stores is bronze Antec HCG M Series 620W PSU and the 850W version.
I am actually trying to get in touch with a local store and check if they can handle the shipment and importing of PC components through amazon since they have their own suppliers. If everything works out, I would be able to get components easier.
I don't really like Thermaltake that much either, so I think for now I would stick with corsair or cooler master depending on budget.

Thanks a lot man.

Oct 6, 2020
Hello and welcome, I took a look at your current rig and off the bat couple things concern me besides what jeremy said about the SeaSonic PSU is the 8GB of RAM and no SSD. You can really rejuvinate your box if you get a cheap SSD and 16GB RAM Kit at bare minimum as I assume you use WIndows 10 and it likes to put things in cache a lot for faster opening or doing thing since its in the RAM cache. This uses up your 8GB and you suffer with stutters in games and slowness in Windows 10 and what not. You said Machine Learning and off the bat I told myself he needs a Intel CPU. I am not to keen on AMD technology to tell you which way to go, however from what you described I would get a Intel system just for the Machine Learning but I think AMD has their own technology and calls it something else. That processor actually is not that bad for general desktop usage and some AAA titles at low resolution with medium settings. What is your budget? TLDR 🙈

You can do CPU MOBO and RAM upgrade and toss in a SSD for 70 bucks. You can go Ryzen but as I said I am not to keen on their technology regarding machine learning however I know Intel has this technology. You can sway either way but IMHO if your really into machine learning perhaps a Intel CPU could be better for you. You already have a great video card that can dish out 60fps easily in most AAA titles. I, also as Jeremy said would look into the 3700x as that is the best bang for your buck. I along with Jeremy can help you get the best bang for your buck system. Also Jeremy did say 3070 however if your not a hard core gamer I would stick with what you have IMHO.. As for PSU listen to Jeremy on that one, as I have no place to talk about that as Jeremy already did. I personally would be weary of a Thermaltake PSU. I would personally choose the Corsair CX series 650w as your choice for budget mid tier PSU, but that is just me. If it is to expensive grab the Cooler Master as Jeremy said.🤷‍♀️🎗💯👽👶

Hello Turtle Pig,

I think "The only differences are just the motherboard and the processor." mislead you a bit xD. I am updating RAMS and SSD in both my new builds. I meant by saying that the difference between the AMD and Intel build is just the motherboard and processor.
My budget in my local country is around 17,000 EGP, which corresponds to $1,100.

When I searched around topics regarding machine learning, 3D modeling and rendering, and video editing, the suggestions were more subjected to Ryzen nowadays for their high performance in utilizing CPU cores and multi-threading with high MB Cache. I am an intel user, and I love intel a lot, but when I searched around it turned out that Ryzen is almost beating Intel in the low and mid-tiers. And after their recent live revealing the new generation for Ryzen, they are beating the high-end tier as well. Not to mention, that Ryzen's motherboards are supporting the PCI-E version 4 which is not supported in the intel motherboards. So, if I wanted to upgrade my GPU later, I won't benefit from the new PCI-E 4.

I made a build with Intel and Ryzen, but I think I will be going with Ryzen more.

Last edited: