Question Urgent question Replacing HDD with SSD

Sep 11, 2019
Please I am about to buy a new corsair one i60 PC, and it has this storage : 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD && 2TB 5400RPM 2.5” HDD all packed in a Z370 Mini-ITX motherboard, I am wondering if I can replace its HDD with a Samsung evo 970 SSD???

Sep 11, 2019
Almost certainly not. It already has 1x NVMe drive. Unlikely there is space for a second.
And the SATA port for the HDD won't work with a 970.

You can, of course, change the HDD for a 2.5" SATA III SSD.
Thank you so much for your reply! now I understand there's a big difference between M.2 NVMe ssds and the SATA III ones!
so what do you think if I replace the original NVMe with samsung's evo 970?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depending on how large the 970 you have is, it will just give you more storage space, that's it.

However I will also note the Corsair i60 doesn't make it easy to replace the M.2 as you'll also have to go to the back of the motherboard and remove other components.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you so much for your reply! now I understand there's a big difference between M.2 NVMe ssds and the SATA III ones!
so what do you think if I replace the original NVMe with samsung's evo 970?
Swapping one NVMe drive for another will yield probably zero change.
Of course, we don't know what the original one is, so no way to tell.

Changing the 5400RPM HDD for a SATA III SSD will give you a big benefit.

Sep 11, 2019
Depending on how large the 970 you have is, it will just give you more storage space, that's it.

However I will also note the Corsair i60 doesn't make it easy to replace the M.2 as you'll also have to go to the back of the motherboard and remove other components.
Oh well, so I will just stick with original one then but replace the HDD to a brand new Samsung 860 evo!
thank you so much again!!

Last edited:
You can replace the HDD with a sata based 860 evo drive if you wish.

The performance difference will be great compared to a 5400 rpm HDD.
But you will see very little difference in performance vs. a nvme drive.

You could also consider changing out the 480gb nvme m.2 device to a 970 evo of up to 2tb, accomplishing most of what you originally proposed.
To do that easily, you would use the Samsung ssd migration app to move your windows C drive to the larger drive.
You can do this by attaching the larger drive to a usb tp pcie adapter cable for the copy.