[SOLVED] USB plug In and plug out sound repeating

Miltoid19

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello there,
I have started getting some USB disconnect and reconnect sounds out of nowhere and I don't seem to be able to find the source. I have downloaded USBLogView and it shows me well this
A3DzwrF.png

The amount of times this is happening to me seems random and it tends to happen more often whenever I am gaming.
More details about those errors look like this
Ensz7nV.png

I have tried updating everydriver on my PC re plyging all my periferals and so far nothing changed.
Please anyone that may have any idea what is causing this suggest it. It's driving me kind of mad.

Solution
go to windows control panel, device manager
go to the menu item and select show hidden devices.
look at the list for greyed out devices and removed them.

generally, you will see this happen on a PC when an apple device is trying to charge off of a PC usb port. Apple devices use a usb connector but draw 4 times the max power from a PC usb port. This makes the USB port think there is a short circuit so the port shuts down until the power draw goes down. (now you get the sound of the disconnect) the power draw goes down, plug and play runs and finds the port and turns it back on a second later, it reconnects to the device and makes the reconnect sound. then the device takes too much power and the cycle repeats. this can also...

generally, you will see this happen on a PC when an apple device is trying to charge off of a PC usb port. Apple devices use a usb connector but draw 4 times the max power from a PC usb port. This makes the USB port think there is a short circuit so the port shuts down until the power draw goes down. (now you get the sound of the disconnect) the power draw goes down, plug and play runs and finds the port and turns it back on a second later, it reconnects to the device and makes the reconnect sound. then the device takes too much power and the cycle repeats. this can also happen if a usb port is shorted out against a case.

generally for apple devices you have to run a special apple charger usb driver to override the shutdown of the port. some pc vendors make certain color coded USB connections specifically for apple devices. if you have one, and charge a apple device you should use it. I think my version has red plastic rather than blue plastic in the port.

if you don't have an apple device or something else charging you have to look for a bad connection on a port. short against a case or i have seen people plug in a USB header cable into the motherboard and force the cable onto the wrong pins and get this problem. older versions of windows did not detect the problem and give you a sound warning. your port would connect and disconnect over and over and your system would run slow. people rarely figured it out.

check for the charging device first. let me know if you do not have one.
second show the hidden usb devices and remove them. USB hides the device driver when a device is unplugged. The hidden driver still functions and can mess up stuff on the ports.

next thing to look at would be a miss matched bios version and usb drivers.
but start with the charging device first.

also, on some motherboards usb port 9 might be a special port that plugs in another hub so you get more usb ports. I had one motherboard that did this and that port always had a error. but do check the motherboard usb header connections for correct connection. make sure pin one is on pin 1 on the header.
I have see people plug in the header and miss the first set. IE they used 2 pins from the second usb header on cable header 1

guess you could also get this if collectively the connections on the entire hub connected to port 9 drew too much power. Then the hub would cycle in shutdowns and startups.

i generally use this tool to look at these issues if I don't have a debugger.
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)

bad usb connections can thermally expand and contract with use and cause intermittent connections. (I have seen this with drive connections)

Last edited:

Miltoid19

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015

generally, you will see this happen on a PC when an apple device is trying to charge off of a PC usb port. Apple devices use a usb connector but draw 4 times the max power from a PC usb port. This makes the USB port think there is a short circuit so the port shuts down until the power draw goes down. (now you get the sound of the disconnect) the power draw goes down, plug and play runs and finds the port and turns it back on a second later, it reconnects to the device and makes the reconnect sound. then the device takes too much power and the cycle repeats. this can also happen if a usb port is shorted out against a case.

generally for apple devices you have to run a special apple charger usb driver to override the shutdown of the port. some pc vendors make certain color coded USB connections specifically for apple devices. if you have one, and charge a apple device you should use it. I think my version has red plastic rather than blue plastic in the port.

if you don't have an apple device or something else charging you have to look for a bad connection on a port. short against a case or i have seen people plug in a USB header cable into the motherboard and force the cable onto the wrong pins and get this problem. older versions of windows did not detect the problem and give you a sound warning. your port would connect and disconnect over and over and your system would run slow. people rarely figured it out.

check for the charging device first. let me know if you do not have one.
second show the hidden usb devices and remove them. USB hides the device driver when a device is unplugged. The hidden driver still functions and can mess up stuff on the ports.

next thing to look at would be a miss matched bios version and usb drivers.
but start with the charging device first.

also, on some motherboards usb port 9 might be a special port that plugs in another hub so you get more usb ports. I had one motherboard that did this and that port always had a error. but do check the motherboard usb header connections for correct connection. make sure pin one is on pin 1 on the header.
I have see people plug in the header and miss the first set. IE they used 2 pins from the second usb header on cable header 1

guess you could also get this if collectively the connections on the entire hub connected to port 9 drew too much power. Then the hub would cycle in shutdowns and startups.

i generally use this tool to look at these issues if I don't have a debugger.
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)

bad usb connections can thermally expand and contract with use and cause intermittent connections. (I have seen this with drive connections)

Okay so thank you for the detailed replay and the interesting tool.
For your first theory unfortunately I don't have any Apple device but thank you for the info never the less.
I managed to find the problem and it was my wifi card. Initially, my computer would not recognize the Bluetooth module and this is the reason I was getting the unknown device error. Installing the Latest intel Bluetooth driver fixed it but only for 1 disconnect cycle and after that it would go back to being an unknown device. The problem was that the Bluetooth module required USB power and I had it connected with a USB pin header connector witch for some reason got disconnected and the power from the PCI connector was not enough to keep the module active at all times causing it to just be detected momentarily and then shut down again.
Thank you for your suggestions though kind of funny that I managed to fix it 5 minutes before I saw your response.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS