Tim

OS is XP Professional

When I plug a USB removable storage device in to the pc, I
can not see it on explorer or such. Device and driver
troubleshooting all say that everything is ok ?

shirley

You might need to go into disk management to format and/or assign a letter to the device.

with the removable storage device plugged into the USB

right click my computer/manage/
click the "+" next to storage/click disk management/

locate the removable drive bottom left of window
right click on the "Misc Drive"/format...
and/or
right click/change drive and paths...

Just a guess, but assuming that this is a new drive, did you ever format the
external drive? Some come pre-formatted as FAT32, which XP can handle.
But, others come "raw", since they could be used by MACs as well as by PCs.

Use the XP disk managment tool to see the disk's status, format, etc. If
"raw" or "unformatted", use the same tool to "initialize" the disk, then
format it. Initalizing is similar to what te old DOS fdsik utility used to
do, creating partitions, but XP has a much friendlier interface.