[SOLVED] Very worried about cpu and taking off cpu wraith cooler rgb!

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Hello I'm wonding if anyone knows any good way to take this cooler off i heard alot of people have broken or bent there pins well taking this cooler off and im very quite worried of doing soo. I want to get a cooler for my cpu because its runs really hot at about 80c+ and somtimes getting close to that 100 zone seeing it hit sometimes above 90c.

I have heard people to say run benchmarks to heat up the thermal paste and leave it on for like an hour or a half then quicky take it out before thermal paste gets back to its cool temp then unlatch the cooler and give it abit of a twist to take it off.. But i heard people say twisting it could also can bend more the pins if the cpu gets out of the socket.

I had alot of trouble getting the cpu cooler on was soo scared that i broke the cpu becasue how much force i hat to put into i was very worried but thankfully everything was working well. But then i found out i put the cpu cooler on upside down pretty sure soo makes me even more worried that soon as i unlatch it the cpu cooler will come flying off with the cpu i could be wrong with that but im really new to building pcs since this is my second pc build in my life.

I'm only 18 and it would take me months to save up for a new cpu that is that as good as the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor so you would see how worried ill would be. haha

Also the cpu cooler im thinking of getting is "Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler"
And I'm not 100% is this is gonna actually fit in my system if so please let me know if you think it can but the issue i think i might have is theres 2 fans with it soo i dont know where imma plug them in im guessing cpu fan header let me know if im wrong since theres 2 fans and also the "be quiet cpu cooler" might touch my ram modules and that might not be good soo if anyone knows if it will or not please let me know and tell me what cpu coolers would work best please!

Also whats the best way to clean off thermal paste?

MY CPU COOLER PHOTO: View: https://imgur.com/2dkUfK8

My Specs: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/BeBlaze/saved/hCRY99
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor - using stock cooler
MB: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
CASE: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Thankyou everyone that has commented and trying to help me! Sorry I'm quite new to building pcs and pc parts soo expensive so i want help from people that have had alot more experience then me!

Solution
I recently swapped out a wraith prism for a be quiet dark rock slim. The wraith can be a little fiddly. Like you said,run a bench on the cpu to get it warmed up a little to loosen the thermal paste.(oh,forgot to ask,are you doing it in the case or taking everything out? I find it easier taking everything out.) Flip the black latch over on the prism to give some slack to the 2 clips. Slowly work on unclipping one side,you can press down on the clip which helps unclip it.You can use something like a flathead screwdriver,CAREFULLY,to press the clip down to unhook it. Then try to do the otherside.Just go slow.....Once it's unhooked, slowly twist the wraith prism,it will take a little force and hopefully, POP! It should come off. Good luck!
I recently swapped out a wraith prism for a be quiet dark rock slim. The wraith can be a little fiddly. Like you said,run a bench on the cpu to get it warmed up a little to loosen the thermal paste.(oh,forgot to ask,are you doing it in the case or taking everything out? I find it easier taking everything out.) Flip the black latch over on the prism to give some slack to the 2 clips. Slowly work on unclipping one side,you can press down on the clip which helps unclip it.You can use something like a flathead screwdriver,CAREFULLY,to press the clip down to unhook it. Then try to do the otherside.Just go slow.....Once it's unhooked, slowly twist the wraith prism,it will take a little force and hopefully, POP! It should come off. Good luck!

Reactions: BeBlaze
Solution
The advice to heat up the cpu first is sound.
But, no need to go crazy.
CPU-Z stress test for a minute should be sufficient.
That softens and liquifies the paste so it is easy to remove a cooler.
Once you get the cooler off, clean up the old paste with alcohol. the more pure the better.
91% if you can find it.
Use lint free paper to do the job.
I use paper coffee filters.

Love your case, it has 200mm available for a good air cooler.
The DRP4 is 163mm; so ok there.

Of more concern is the ram clearance. 42mm is the max, and I think the trident ram is taller.
The best cooler with no clearance issues would be the noctua NH-D15s.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification
Another good option would be the NH-U12A
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12a/specification

Reactions: dchen2105

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Once you get the cooler off, clean up the old paste with alcohol. the more pure the better.
91% if you can find it.

Of more concern is the ram clearance. 42mm is the max, and I think the trident ram is taller.
Unfortunately, that also means you won't be able to see the RGB on your RAM :(

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
91% if you can find it.

I would of gone with Noctua cpu coolers but there coolers look very ugly with the colours.

Hello I'm wonding if anyone knows any good way to take this cooler off i heard alot of people have broken or bent there pins ....
A sure-fire way to remove coolers from the CPU is to pull a length of dental floss between them. It just slices straight through the compound and it lifts right off. You don't even have to warm it up with a benchmark/stress test run first, although it doesn't hurt.

Reactions: dchen2105

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
If you're going to take it off, yes, be very careful.

I did the same when I upgraded from my 2700X to 3950X. I was exceedingly careful and I STILL pulled the CPU out of the socket! This was after letting it run for a few hours with Folding At Home and the paste still stuck.

My ultimate solution to avoid pulling the CPU out is this:

1. Unlock the cooler with the black lever
  2. Get a tool that has a bendable head (screwdriver with multiple angled heads, etc, so that the screw head will get in enough on those post screws at an angle...the Prism doesn't allow a lot of room that way)
  3. Unscrew the post screws/hook mounts that the Prism attaches itself to from the motherboard backplate so that the foundation of the hooks is removed from the MB itself; in this manner, you can twist the cooler off of the CPU so that the bond between cooler, CPU and thermal paste is much easier to handle and the danger of pulling the CPU out of the socket is eliminated.
  4. Clean off paste as normal and install the new cooler of choice.
Use 90% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol to clean the paste off. Some will say to use a microfiber cloth but I've used paper towels will good effect to actually take the paste off...I use the cloth after the paper towel with a bit of alcohol to eliminate any other particles that might be left behind on both the cooler and the CPU.

Your case should have just enough headroom to fit the Dark Rock in. So height shouldn't be a problem. With a regular X570 board, it should fit as a whole as well. Just be advised that, depending on the RAM clearance, if you mount the fan for a push/pull (like, one fan is closer to the front of the case on the cooler itself), you may have to mount that fan a touch higher as the RAM may be tall enough for that to have to happen. I have a B450 Tomahawk and a Noctua DH15 on mine and I had to do that. It's really no big deal at all. Just don't be worried if it doesn't go flush all the way down with your cooler...it'll still do the job well.

I can't find any information (with a cursory search) on what power connectors the fans for the Dark Rock has, but if it's actually two separate 4-pins, you can get a splitter that will take two headers and connect them into a single slot (like your CPU_Fan header). Those aren't very expensive at all and I've used a couple for case fans. They'll run just fine.

Hope it all works out!

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Thanks everyone for the advice ill update this again when i get my cpu cooler! If anyone knows any good coolers please let me know! also i found out that the CPU-Z Stress test got my cpu to 95c soo thats not good and that was like only a miniute of stress test but weird thing whne i stop the stress test the temp went down like instantly i don't know whats with that going down soo fast. If anyone knows if thats normal please let me know!

The temperature you read for a cpu is not the actual temperature; it is a calculation based on voltage and whatever.

The real mechanical temperature will go down much slower.
I would guess you have 2-5 minutes before the paste hardens again.

Coolers with two fans will come with a splitter so they can be plugged into a single cpu fan header.
Coolers will also come with adequate paste.

The noctua coolers also come with low noise adapters.
And, if the noctua beige offends you, noctua is now making chromax black versions.
I found this interesting black cover for the NH-U14s:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NA-HC6-chromax-Black-Heatsink-NH-U14S/dp/B07SVLBSD3

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
The temperature you read for a cpu is not the actual temperature; it is a calculation based on voltage and whatever.

The real mechanical temperature will go down much slower.
I would guess you have 2-5 minutes before the paste hardens again.

Coolers with two fans will come with a splitter so they can be plugged into a single cpu fan header.
Coolers will also come with adequate paste.

The noctua coolers also come with low noise adapters.
And, if the noctua beige offends you, noctua is now making chromax black versions.
I found this interesting black cover for the NH-U14s:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NA-HC6-chromax-Black-Heatsink-NH-U14S/dp/B07SVLBSD3
I don't really mind the Silver metal that much but its the fans i dont like but im looking into this cooler
Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler
and using the fans of
Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap

Please let me know if this would cool the temps of the computer very well.
If you think this would work all together let me know since im pretty dumb with the cpu coolers and plugs.
Thanks soo much for the help!

Last edited:
I don't really mind the Silver metal that much but its the fans i dont like but im looking into this cooler
Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler
and using the fans of
be quiet! Pure Wings 2 33.15 CFM 80 mm Fan

Please let me know if this would cool the temps of the computer very well.
If you think this would work all together let me know since im pretty dumb with the cpu coolers and plugs.
Thanks soo much for the help!
I believe Noctua make a black version of most of their coolers now.

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
I would go with something beefy for the 3900X
I was thinking if i sold my rgb ram since most big coolers are gonna cover the rgb anyway and get new ram that is smaller and can probably get 64gbs of ram since theres no rgb and its cheaper without rgb and then can get a beefer cooler? Would that be a good idea or just stay with the ram i have now? plus getting 64gb of ram will help with mutlitasking probably in the furture since ill be getting 3 monitors and it will be abit more future proof. also can fit bigger coolers in it if i go for smaller ram

Because i want to make sure it keeps my cpu very cool since sometimes it can get hot in australia when summer hits.
I'm not sure whats your guys thoughts?

-also will be using my pc for multitasking well playing games, streaming or recording and rending and editing.

Last edited:
I was thinking if i sold my rgb ram since most big coolers are gonna cover the rgb anyway and get new ram that is smaller and can probably get 64gbs of ram since theres no rgb and its cheaper without rgb and then can get a beefer cooler? Would that be a good idea or just stay with the ram i have now? plus getting 64gb of ram will help with mutlitasking probably in the furture since ill be getting 3 monitors and it will be abit more future proof. also can fit bigger coolers in it if i go for smaller ram

Because i want to make sure it keeps my cpu very cool since sometimes it can get hot in australia when summer hits.
I'm not sure whats your guys thoughts?
Unless you have a need for 64GB of ram such as video editing, large project software development or similar then it would likely go to waste.

I would look for a cooler that will fit with your ram such as Noctua D15S. Noctua U12A or you could go for an AIO I hear the Arctic Liquid freezer II are very good

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Unless you have a need for 64GB of ram such as video editing, large project software development or similar then it would likely go to waste.

I would look for a cooler that will fit with your ram such as Noctua D15S. Noctua U12A or you could go for an AIO I hear the Arctic Liquid freezer II are very good
Wait is Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler different to the Noctua U12A? soo theres no NH-U12A?

Wait is Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler different to the Noctua U12A? soo theres no NH-U12A?
No I was being lazy typing. Just realized you are in Oz I think I would go for an AIO seeing as it gets so hot there. No Arctic cooling available so I would go for this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($277.56 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $277.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-14 20:02 AEST+1000

Won't with the watercool loups make the ram not fit? well the one ram on the left?
If you want lots of RGB the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB got good reviews and actually cools better than the X73

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($184.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $184.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-14 21:24 AEST+1000

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
If you want lots of RGB the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB got good reviews and actually cools better than the X73

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($184.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $184.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-14 21:24 AEST+1000
Is'nt the Liquid coolers run loud? also Cooler master master liquid dont have much good reviews.

The two im looking at right now is the
Air cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
2 Fans replacement: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap
------------- or -------------
Water cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

TRENDING THREADS