Question VGA Light on MB, Pc Posts sometimes

Feb 13, 2023
Full Build Specs
B550 A Pro MB
Power Color 6700xt
Ryzen 5700x
G Skill TridentZ 32 GB 3600MHZ
EVGA Supernova 750 G5 PSU
I've done everything, Uninstalled MULTIPLE gpu drivers with DDU, reinstalled them. No fix, I've taken out the CMOS battery no fix, I've tried my old 6600xt, SAME RESULT. I'm getting ready to sell my entire streaming setup. GPU will turn on when it feels like it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA Supernova 750 G5 PSU

Poor PSU to use. Loads of issues and overall, a flop regarding EVGA G-series. Not a worthy successor for G2 ans G3 models, which are using Super Flower Leadex platform. Instead EVGA seemed to cheap out and went with FSP instead.

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

So, try with 2nd, good quality and known to work PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Feb 13, 2023
Poor PSU to use. Loads of issues and overall, a flop regarding EVGA G-series. Not a worthy successor for G2 ans G3 models, which are using Super Flower Leadex platform. Instead EVGA seemed to cheap out and went with FSP instead.

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

So, try with 2nd, good quality and known to work PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)
Another statement, My PC has never randomly turned off or anything like that. GPU just won't boot half the time.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My PC has never randomly turned off or anything like that. GPU just won't boot half the time.

Since you've tested with 2nd GPU, likelihood that the issue is with GPU, is low. That is only, IF both of your GPUs are faulty. Are they?

Testing with 2nd, good quality PSU, would tell if the issue is with your PSU or not. Since your current PSU is poor PSU, it is quite likely that the issue is with PSU.
Now, if you would have Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TD] PSU in there (which is my PSU btw) and which is one of the best (if not the best) 650W PSU money can buy, then there wouldn't be almost no suspicion on PSU. But since you don't, suspicion is on your PSU.

Issue could be with MoBo as well, but for powering on instances, PSU is far more likely suspect, especially when poor PSU is used.

750W is a good wattage if I wanted to upgrade to a 6800xt in the near future?

6800XT is 300W GPU and i'd be comfortable with 850W PSU, especially when considering GPU transient power spikes, which spike the GPU to ~425W.

The charts above show total power consumption of the RX 6800XT at stock settings, overclocked, and with Rage Mode enabled. In terms of transient power spikes, we don’t see any issues at all with Metro Exodus, but we see brief peaks during Furmark of 425W with the manually overclocked config, 373W with Rage Mode, and 366W with the stock setup. Again, these peaks were measured within one 100ms polling cycle, which means they could certainly trip a PSU's over power protection if you're running at close to max power delivery.
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review

So, when 6800XT spikes to ~425W + 200-300W for the rest of the system, total would be ~725W, making 850W PSU better suited than 750W PSU.

Reactions: TreyTheShooter
Feb 13, 2023
Since you've tested with 2nd GPU, likelihood that the issue is with GPU, is low. That is only, IF both of your GPUs are faulty. Are they?

Testing with 2nd, good quality PSU, would tell if the issue is with your PSU or not. Since your current PSU is poor PSU, it is quite likely that the issue is with PSU.
Now, if you would have Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TD] PSU in there (which is my PSU btw) and which is one of the best (if not the best) 650W PSU money can buy, then there wouldn't be almost no suspicion on PSU. But since you don't, suspicion is on your PSU.

Issue could be with MoBo as well, but for powering on instances, PSU is far more likely suspect, especially when poor PSU is used.

6800XT is 300W GPU and i'd be comfortable with 850W PSU, especially when considering GPU transient power spikes, which spike the GPU to ~425W.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review

So, when 6800XT spikes to ~425W + 200-300W for the rest of the system, total would be ~725W, making 850W PSU better suited than 750W PSU.
Thank you so much man!!!

Reactions: Aeacus