Question Video - What Do You Think This Noise Is?

Oct 21, 2023
Hi! I’ve had an issue for a few months where I would hear an intermittent clicking/rattling sound from my PC. It would usually be a few quick half second bursts of this sound.

I first thought HDD until I was able to get close when the sound happened and realized it was emanating from the top of my case by my radiator/fan.

I bought new fans and replaced all my old ones since I was looking to upgrade anyway. The noise stopped for a month until today when this happened. It’s the longest and loudest it’s ever been.

My theories were a wire or something hanging and the fan is clipping it. I opened up the case and didn’t see anything, and that wouldn’t be likely to be intermittent IMO.

I thought someone here might have their 10,000 hours of computer repair on to be able to diagnose by ear. Any guesses or feedback is really appreciated!

(Didn’t know how to upload video so just did it via YouTube: Rattle Noise )

Also if you’re good with RAM and mobos I could use some guesses for another issue I’m having. Again really appreciate the advice: RAM Issue

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sure sounds like a fan, and it stopping when you hit top of case could mean its running out of lubricant inside the fan hub, or its clipping another wire.
Nothing else moves inside pc and you have guessed what it probably is, you just need to look inside case to figure out which one it is.

is that the PSU in roof?
I see an AIO so where is its radiator?

take glass off and you can use a rolled piece of paper as a funnel to listen down to isolate it.

what are specs of PC?
ASUS ROG Strix Z-390F
-i5 9600k
-Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3600mhz
-Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600mhz

Last edited:
Hi! I’ve had an issue for a few months where I would hear an intermittent clicking/rattling sound from my PC. It would usually be a few quick half second bursts of this sound.
What model AIO is that?
Does it have pump located in radiator?
If yes, then you can not place radiator in highest point of the loop.
Air bubbles accumulate in pump. This kills liquid flow and eventually will kill the pump.

The sound is AIO pump rattling.

Oct 21, 2023
What model AIO is that?
Does it have pump located in radiator?
If yes, then you can not place radiator in highest point of the loop.
Air bubbles accumulate in pump. This kills liquid flow and eventually will kill the pump.

The sound is AIO pump rattling.
Thanks Colif & Skynet, appreciate your responses. Sorry for not mentioning, the AIO is an NZXT Kraken M22. That’s the radiator top mounted, PSU is on bottom under the cover. Just searched and apparently the pump is in the radiator.

I followed general rules for mounting on the top of fan, but watching the NZXT official video they say to read or front mount. I remember attempting to mount in rear but it wa s a bit awkward .

I just replaced the fans about a month ago when this started happening with some LianLi fans. I looked for any hanging wires then and didn’t see anything. I’m leaving my glass panel off of PC for a bit, if the noise happens again I can to stop the fan briefly by putting pressure on middle part to see if this causes the noise to slow down or stop as the fan slows. Unless you think that’s a bad idea to stop the fans when they are pushed by the motor.

It does sound like it’s coming from the radiator directly I think.

Thanks!

-Lian-Li Fan UF-SLIN120-3B UNI FAN SL120​

-ASUS ROG Strix Z-390F
-i5 9600k
-Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600mhz
-Fractal Design Meshify C Case
-NZXT Kraken M22 120mm

I followed general rules for mounting on the top of fan, but watching the NZXT official video they say to read or front mount. I remember attempting to mount in rear but it wa s a bit awkward .
-NZXT Kraken M22 120mm
You have to relocate it to front mount position (or rear position), hoses connected at bottom.
Radiator (with pump in it) can not be in highest point of liquid loop.