Question Wait for Intel 10th Gen? Or upgrade to Ryzen 3rd Gen now?

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Currently using an i7 7700k, but I'm looking to upgrade soon. Torn between the Ryzen 7 3800X, or waiting for Intel's 10th generation chips. If Intel does nothing revolutionary, or doesn't price competitively with AMD, I think I'd rather go for AMD. But, I've used Intel my whole life, so the switch would be quite the change for me. What do you all think?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You should wait, indefinitely. That way you have no buyer's remorse.;)

Seriously though, your current CPU should be able to handle anything currently available that you throw at it, so you need not be in a hurry. So, you could wait.

Rather than the 3800X, I would suggest the 3700X, if buying now. Performance is excellent and it runs cooler than the 3800X. Just somethings to consider.

Currently using an i7 7700k, but I'm looking to upgrade soon. Torn between the Ryzen 7 3800X, or waiting for Intel's 10th generation chips. If Intel does nothing revolutionary, or doesn't price competitively with AMD, I think I'd rather go for AMD. But, I've used Intel my whole life, so the switch would be quite the change for me. What do you all think?
3rd option: Wait for Ryzen 4000 this year.
Intel has at least a year left to catch up AMD. Ryzen 4000 will be faster than Intel 10th gen. If you are only gaming, there is no point to upgrade to the 3800X or to Intel 10th gen. You won't gain FPS.
Upgrade to Ryzen 4000 when it comes out this year as it will have higher single and multi core performance than Intel 10th gen.

Your 7700k should still be decent. Ryzen 4000 series are probably coming out late 2020- early 2021. You might consider throwing the best gpu you can at the 7700 you have now and save your pennies for the ryzen 4000 series.

If you wanted, you could also do something like pick up a board and maybe a 2700x and hold out. But that would get you on the platform cheap. Personally I've got an older b350 board and a ryzen 7 1700x that I've got overclocked to 3.8ghz. Currently holding out until ryzen 4000 series and either get one of those or a cheap 3000 series.

Based on past releases it's safe to assume a 5-10% per core boost depending on application when Intels newest launches...since they are not making major structural changes anything more is unlikely. Ryzen 4000 is rumored to make another decent jump like the jump from 2000 to 3000.

As far as Ryzen vs Intel being a major change I'm not sure what you're expecting but 99.99% of people can not tell any difference between Intel and AMD when using similar performing machines. It's one of the reasons I have both types of system running right now...after it's all said and done the differences are few and far between for the end user.

From someone using a 4770k and having 0 regrets, overclock it, and rock on, it doesn't bottleneck with anything nor will bottleneck the new 3xxx cards or whatever amd comes up with, you're set for at least good 3 more years, unless you're a FPS psycho and wants crank whatever you can above 60 fps, wich wont even be your min FPS if you have a beefy GPU.

you're set, wait for what the 4000 x 10gen battle unfolds and wait even further because out of that brawl even cooler stuff MUST appear by 2021, 2022 even, when competition is going nuts like it is right now with intel and amd, we profit.

right now the mainstream pick would be the ryzen 3600 to 3700x max, above that is unnecessary and wasteful, wich is frankly not much far away from your 7700, overclock is your right answer, go have fun.

If you're talking about Intel's 10nm products, they aren't expected to be anything special because it's the first year for their 10nm node. Clocks speeds will be low just like the Ryzen gen1 processors. That's why 10nm has only been launched on laptops thus far, yields are low and so are clocks. The chip is still power efficient, so they only launched on laptops.

The other Intel 10thgen core i7 series are a 14nm++++++++ part. They are power hogs, but they do have high clock speeds as they've perfected this node as far as it will go.

With Ryzen3XXX series, you'll get more cores for the money, run cooler than the Intel counterpart, and have an upgrade path on the same motherboard for at least 1 more CPU generation. I'd personally get the Ryzen.

If you are playing at 60fps, you won't see any difference in games.