salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hello Everyone,
I want to upgrade my CPU for 1440p gaming and want to buy ryzen 7 7800x3d or the upcoming ryzen 5 9600x. I have heard some issues like over heating, cpu blowing up, after looking through so many videos on youtube still can't decide what to do. Which CPU will be good ? what motherboard should i get ? what RAM should i pair with it. So much confusion, Ryzen AM5 has a better future upgradability so I would like to stick with it. Please Suggest me which CPU should I buy and good B650 Motherboard ,RAM sticks & AIO Cooler for both the CPU without blowing out my budget so that it can run for at least 4 to 5 year without any issues.

Hello Everyone,
I want to upgrade my CPU for 1440p gaming and want to buy ryzen 7 7800x3d or the upcoming ryzen 5 9600x. I have heard some issues like over heating, cpu blowing up, after looking through so many videos on youtube still can't decide what to do. Which CPU will be good ? what motherboard should i get ? what RAM should i pair with it. So much confusion, Ryzen AM5 has a better future upgradability so I would like to stick with it. Please Suggest me which CPU should I buy and good B650 Motherboard ,RAM sticks & AIO Cooler for both the CPU without blowing out my budget so that it can run for at least 4 to 5 year without any issues.
Until x3d 9000 shows up 7800x3d is gaming king. 9600x will not get even close but will work on any b650/x670 MB. just will need new BIOS. which is already released. Upgrade is assured another 3 years.
RAM, 6000MHz with low latency is best fit for 7000 Ryzen which should be higher with 9000 Ryzen.
I think I found ideal B650 MB, this Asrock b650 RS pro, very richly equipped and although BIOS doesn't look fancy it has slew of options.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650 Pro RS/index.asp
7800x3D is not a hot and power hungry processor, about the level of 7700x so a good air cooler or 240 AIO should be fine and future 9000 series will be even more efficient.
Both, processors and MBs/BIOS are mature enough to avoid any problems.

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
the X870 mobo might interest you with its USB 4.0 support.

the 7800X3D definitely for gaming.

6400 CL32 kits are common now. Team group expert or Patriot Viper kits for budget options.
X870 will probably a bit costly for me right now . I see you are using Ryzen 7800X3D and Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX and air cooler.
How is your gaming performance at this point at 1440p ? Benchmarks on demanding games ? Temp. issues ? Do I have to undervolt or tweak CPU or run it as it is ?
I will upgrade my GPU later to a 5070 ti or Higher later so need a bit of headroom for future upgrades too. Right now I have 3060 ti. I will change that when nvidia 5000 series comes.

X870 will probably a bit costly for me right now . I see you are using Ryzen 7800X3D and Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX and air cooler.
How is your gaming performance at this point at 1440p ? Benchmarks on demanding games ? Temp. issues ? Do I have to undervolt or tweak CPU or run it as it is ?

I will upgrade my GPU later to a 5070 ti or Higher later so need a bit of headroom for future upgrades too. Right now I have 3060 ti. I will change that when nvidia 5000 series comes.
X870 MBs are not even for sale right now. PCIe v4 and at least one v5.0 is now on all 600 chipset MBs ,
As with all brand new systems you will have to do some tweaking and adjusting for best performance, at least to set XMP for RAM. Most BIOS versions have some automatic tweaking, settings for "Best performance" and such. Because of x3D special settings, make sure BIOS is updated to last version that supports it. Depending on how long that MB was sitting on the shelf they usually come with outdated BIOS versions.
Those things should be done on any new system, only pre-built PCs may come already optimized.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

I use PBO and XMP. My CPU boosts to 5.05ghz which is the max after amd patched the overvoltage problem for X3D chips.

Regarding benchmarks, Unfortunately the most demanding games I play are Nolvus skyrim and Baldur's gate 3 at 4k.

In both cases I am limited by the gpu. But with dlss, I am getting more than 100fps. Temps are rock solid and below 70 c.