rishav mitra

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
I have been playing Dota 2 for a long time on my laptop and it works pretty fine.
But for the past couple of months while playing the game starts up fine and runs pretty good and
all of a sudden BOOM my fps goes down to 10-15 then after 10-12 seconds it recovers itself and runs
fine and then again BOOM my fps goes down...this continues for the whole match.
Even happen in cs:go
My laptop specification
Intel i3 6006U- 2.30Ghz
Graphics Card- AMD Radeon R5 M330 -2 GB
RAM - 8 GB

Please help me...these two games keep me going in this covid times😢😢😢😢

I have been playing Dota 2 for a long time on my laptop and it works pretty fine.
But for the past couple of months while playing the game starts up fine and runs pretty good and
all of a sudden BOOM my fps goes down to 10-15 then after 10-12 seconds it recovers itself and runs
fine and then again BOOM my fps goes down...this continues for the whole match.
Even happen in cs:go
My laptop specification
Intel i3 6006U- 2.30Ghz
Graphics Card- AMD Radeon R5 M330 -2 GB
RAM - 8 GB

Please help me...these two games keep me going in this covid times😢😢😢😢

That is almost certainly an overheating problem - I'm guessing the fan will be going full tilt when it happens?

That would explain why it start out ok as well, at the start of the match the cpu and gpu will both be cool so will run at full speed. Once the temp reaches a certain point (usually ~ 80 or 90 degrees) the speed will auto throttle down to prevent damage which is why the FPS drops. After a few seconds the temp drops again and so it goes back to full speed, rinse and repeat.

Whats needed is to give the cooling assemblies a good clean (dust can clog up the fan / heat sink fins), and potentially replace the thermal grease between the cpu, gpu and the heat sink block. The specifics of how to get to the cooling parts depends on the model of laptop but it's usually not too difficult.

rishav mitra

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
That is almost certainly an overheating problem - I'm guessing the fan will be going full tilt when it happens?

That would explain why it start out ok as well, at the start of the match the cpu and gpu will both be cool so will run at full speed. Once the temp reaches a certain point (usually ~ 80 or 90 degrees) the speed will auto throttle down to prevent damage which is why the FPS drops. After a few seconds the temp drops again and so it goes back to full speed, rinse and repeat.

Whats needed is to give the cooling assemblies a good clean (dust can clog up the fan / heat sink fins), and potentially replace the thermal grease between the cpu, gpu and the heat sink block. The specifics of how to get to the cooling parts depends on the model of laptop but it's usually not too difficult.
Now that you have mentioned....the exhaust does go mighty hot when it happens...I tried cleaning the fan but that didn't solve the problem...Might as well try the thermal paste solution...Although thanks a lot man👍👍

Reactions: cdrkf