Question weird motherboard behavior

majkinson

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
Hi,

I just upgraded my PC - bought a new MoBo (AsRock B460m pro4), CPU (i5 10400f), some M.2 SSD and two new DDR4 ram sticks. I am still using my old Sapphire Nitro R9 380, because GPU prices... I am having some strange issues with it and I think it's probably the MoBo. When it starts booting i see random weird colors on my screen with artefacts all over it (see jpegs below). After that, everything is fine and windows seems to run without any issues. But when I tried calling over discord (or anything else) i realized my old microphone was suddenly extremely quiet, even though it was boosted to +30db. I tried reinstalling Realtek Audio Drivers and after restart, windows failed to boot. I reinstalled it again, windows runs now but the sound is still very quiet, with both my old microphone and headphone headset. So I am thinking there is something wrong with the onboard sound chip? And considering what happens during boot, maybe the whole motherboard is somehow faulty? Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any idea what to do? Should I send the MoBo back?

Thanks for your time

EDIT: Just updated BIOS, didnt help.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157138800512860160/846423513266257940/20210524_1820001.jpg

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Current PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Heavy previous use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Look in Reliability History for errors that correspond with the observed problems.

Use the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to double check that all installed components are supported.

Check that all physical installations (cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers) are fully and firmly in place.

Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner. The right-click will open a menu that, in turn, leads to quite a number of menu choices, windows, tabs, and audio related properties.

Explore the audio menus to determine if all is as expected. Do not make any immediate changes. Just look for things that you know are not correct or that you do not understand.

Narrow down problem.

majkinson

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
The PSU is older but it wasn't heavily used, it worked just fine with my old motherboard/CPU/RAM (and the same R9 380 GPU). It is 650W 80Plus Gold from Seasonic. The GPU was also used just for casual gaming, no video editing, never mining.
All components should be supported as far as I can tell.
I double checked all the PSU connectors, RAM and GPU.
I set the microphone to 100 and +30db in the sound settings. On Discord, my friends have to increase "User Volume" for me to 200 and I am still quieter than everyone else. It's not very usable like this. Everyone would have to lower their in-game volume and everyone else's volume so we could hear each other evenly.

I have some new information though... When I tried using my brother's headset with its tiny USB soundcard (MH752, similar to HyperX Cloud), the mic volume is a lot higher. So it seems like it's a problem with the onboard sound chip?

And when I tried his GPU (some Gigabyte 1070) the weird colors during initial boot were gone and the PC also booted significantly faster. It was almost twice as fast to get to the desktop. But when I tried some GPU benchmarks with the R9 380, the results were as expected - its performance is fine. I tried gaming briefly without any issues. So the card seems to be working except for the strange behavior during boot.

I found only one error in the Reliability Monitor. No idea what it means, but this is what it said:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff80842a96c050
Parameter 2: fffff803946e21c0
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 1880
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1 OS
Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

EDIT: and one more strange thing... When I went to BIOS and turned off the RGB that's on the board, mouse sensitivity in windows went insanely high. When I turned the RGB back on and rebooted, it was back to normal. But this might not mean anything, I didn't even install Razer Synapse for my Razer Naga Trinity yet. Just another weird thing with this board.

Last edited: