Question Weird noise like static but very low when gaming

Sep 18, 2021
My pc specs:
B450 tomahawk max
750w g+ evga 80plus gold
Rtx 3070 ti Msi gaming trio
2x8 g.skill
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
I recently changed my components from a Gtx 1650 super, 600w 80+ no bronze just normal to my current set up. What I discovered after playing games with my new setup which never happened before is that there is this static noise coming from my headset no matter the volume I have them on. This noise is kind of static but very low that happens in games like resident evil 2, call of duty mw, overwatch, and Roblox. I realized that this noise gets louder but subtle when I uncap my frames compared to 60, or also when I put my graphics on quality rather than performance. I tried changing my audio settings from 16 bits to 24 bits and nothing happens. When I play games like valorant or csgo I don’t hear this noise at all, is mainly in demanding games. What could be the problem and is this something to worry about?

Even though you went from Nvidia to Nvidia, I would recommend that you:

1. Make sure you have the MOST recent STABLE motherboard BIOS release installed.
  2. Perform a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU.
  3. Make sure you have the very latest audio chipset driver installed as offered from your motherboard product page. Do not rely on Windows native drivers or drivers from, for example, Realtek, etc. as manufacturers often tailor drivers specifically for THEIR implementation of the audio chipset and there can be variances from "standard or generic" versions as offered from the chipset provider.
  4. Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset driver installed, again, from the motherboard product page.
  5. Double check you "sounds" configuration to make sure there are no random settings in there that may have been reset when you changed hardware. Microphones, including those that might not even be connected NOR be part of your headset, could have configuration settings that are relevant.
Did you buy this graphics card new, or used?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Lutfij

Titan
Did you remove your prior GPU drivers using DDU, prior to removing the GTX1650 Super? Following that you're advised to reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Sep 18, 2021
Even though you went from Nvidia to Nvidia, I would recommend that you:

1. Make sure you have the MOST recent STABLE motherboard BIOS release installed.
  2. Perform a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU.
  3. Make sure you have the very latest audio chipset driver installed as offered from your motherboard product page. Do not rely on Windows native drivers or drivers from, for example, Realtek, etc. as manufacturers often tailor drivers specifically for THEIR implementation of the audio chipset and there can be variances from "standard or generic" versions as offered from the chipset provider.
  4. Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset driver installed, again, from the motherboard product page.
  5. Double check you "sounds" configuration to make sure there are no random settings in there that may have been reset when you changed hardware. Microphones, including those that might not even be connected NOR be part of your headset, could have configuration settings that are relevant.
Did you buy this graphics card new, or used?
I did all of that except updating my motherboard drivers and bios, the only time I downloaded the chipset drivers was In 2021. The graphics card was brand new.

Sep 18, 2021
Did you remove your prior GPU drivers using DDU, prior to removing the GTX1650 Super? Following that you're advised to reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Yes I did all of that, I removed my old drivers w ddu and installed the new ones. Should I do it again ?

Sep 18, 2021
I also got a new Psu, i dont know if that could be a problem because one of my friends told me it could be.

Well, the PSU you got is better than the one you had before, so while the PSU could ALWAYS be the problem in ANY situation, it seems unlikely unless you had an older board that lacked audio shielding.

Did you run the DDU and install new Nvidia drivers before or after you installed the new card?

I hate to say it, but it might be necessary to do a clean install of Windows if you can't find anything in the advanced Windows sound settings that is causing it and nothing else works. Sometimes there are simply unwanted registry entries left in there that refuse to go away and create conflicts.

Might also try removing and reinstalling the physical graphics card. Sometimes there is just a badly seated component for whatever reason. I'd also double check all the internal connections in the case to make sure something didn't get loose when installing the card originally.

Sep 18, 2021
Well, the PSU you got is better than the one you had before, so while the PSU could ALWAYS be the problem in ANY situation, it seems unlikely unless you had an older board that lacked audio shielding.

Did you run the DDU and install new Nvidia drivers before or after you installed the new card?

I hate to say it, but it might be necessary to do a clean install of Windows if you can't find anything in the advanced Windows sound settings that is causing it and nothing else works. Sometimes there are simply unwanted registry entries left in there that refuse to go away and create conflicts.

Might also try removing and reinstalling the physical graphics card. Sometimes there is just a badly seated component for whatever reason. I'd also double check all the internal connections in the case to make sure something didn't get loose when installing the card originally.
I ran ddu before installing the new drivers. I followed a tutorial from a guy on YouTube. As of right now, I just reinstalled the physical graphics card and the drivers, the noise is still there. I will try to backup some files and try to reset it since I have a hdd for my storage and it might take a while, my main concern is if is something serious. Thanks for the advice.

Sep 18, 2021
No, I asked if you did that before you INSTALLED the new graphics card, or after? Not concerned with when you installed the drivers, so long as it was after you installed the card. Same for running the DDU.
I ran ddu while using the old gpu in safe mode, then I installed the new gpu and installed the new drivers

Nope. Do not "reset" it. Do not "restore" it. Do not do a "refresh" or upgrade. If you are going to back things up first, then do a CLEAN install. There are a lot of reasons I can give you as to why, pages and pages of them in fact, and I mean just from "my" experiences. Not even counting all the threads here and elsewhere from others who've dealt with various issues.

IMO you should NEVER do a reset, restore or refresh. Nothing like that. I don't actually have the links showing WHY you don't want to do that here on this device but give me a few minutes and I'll go in the house and post them for you plus how to do a clean install.

Sep 18, 2021
So, that part you did wrong. Sorry, but it's a fact. You want to install the new graphics card, THEN run the DDU, THEN install the new drivers. I'll get you the other information here in a second.
Oh okay I see, but i also did what you are telling me to do and the sound is still happening. I used ddu with the 3070 and installed the new drivers.

Sep 18, 2021
Nope. Do not "reset" it. Do not "restore" it. Do not do a "refresh" or upgrade. If you are going to back things up first, then do a CLEAN install. There are a lot of reasons I can give you as to why, pages and pages of them in fact, and I mean just from "my" experiences. Not even counting all the threads here and elsewhere from others who've dealt with various issues.

IMO you should NEVER do a reset, restore or refresh. Nothing like that. I don't actually have the links showing WHY you don't want to do that here on this device but give me a few minutes and I'll go in the house and post them for you plus how to do a clean install.
So should I do a clean windows install? I’ll make sure to do that then. Thanks for letting me know

The problem with the "restore" image on laptops and prebuilt OEM systems (Or anything really), is that when you use THAT, you also put all of the preinstalled bloatware back on there as well. We've seen such high numbers of cases where brand new systems could barely hold their own necks up due to the weight of all the bloatware that they ran as though they were terribly infected with malware when they actually only had piles of useless "optimization" and other bundled software installed. Even if you created the image, it's likely it was created based on a previous installation that DID have all that crap installed as well, so it will still be included.

I ALWAYS recommend doing a clean install whenever there's a question of which way to go. That includes every time Microsoft releases a major update. Microsoft does not have a very good track record of making transitions between upgrades or major updates terribly smooth, seamless or trouble free. Usually, more often than not, problems are created that did not exist before the update or upgrade. Not in every case to be sure, but often enough to warrant avoiding the process when it is at all possible or at the very least, every other major update/upgrade.

Continuing to simply upgrade/update or reinstall the factory bloatware often just continues to put the same problems that existed from the start, right back where you left them prior to the process. I would never allow one of my machines, or any machine I work on, to go longer than two major updates without doing a clean install to the newest available Windows ISO release, and usually, unless there are circumstances that make it terribly inconvenient to do so, every major update.

If you wish to DO a clean install, you can do so as follows. This is totally up to each person to determine if that is the best course of action for them or not. In some few cases, there are very good reasons such as having software installed that cannot easily be reinstalled or a really terrible internet connection that makes it difficult to download the installers. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

Please read the ENTIRE thread, because just reading part of it is pointless, plus ignore the fact that the second post always looks like it was the solution. This stupid Xenforo software always moves the solution to the second post no matter where it was in the thread.

Example 1: (Ignore the last post in this thread, it was something else and two years after the fact)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...oes-black-every-two-minutes.3399089/#21479970

Example 2:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-games-poorly-40-60-fps.3495343/post-21131083

and in case you should ever need to do a CLEAN install of Windows, this guide will help to ensure it gets done properly.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way[/CENTER]