Question Weird stuttering in various applications on high end pc

Apr 26, 2019
Hi all,
I recently upgraded my pc to a new motherboard, cpu, psu and ssd. I did a fresh install of windows onto the ssd. Specs as follows:

i7 8700k
Rog strix z390-I
samsung 850 evo
evga 650W
16 GB ballistix sport
msi gtx 1080 gaminx
2 extra HDD

The stuttering happens at any time, doesn't matter if I'm just in windows explorer or a browser or whatever other app, the whole system just randomly freezes for a small amount of time ranging from half a second to a good 10 seconds sometimes.
I think the problem lies with my ram. It should be noted that I have 1x8gb of ddr4 2400mhz, and 1x8gb ddr4 2666mhz. Both are crucial ballistix sport. I have them running at 2400mhz. On my previous system I used the same ram sticks without issue, but it was running at 2133.
I would like to switch down to 2133 to see if that sorts out the problem but I am unable to boot into the bios for some reason. On startup the screen displays "press f2 or del for BIOS" but no matter how fast or slow or holding in either key, it never goes into bios.
I never had this problem with the bios a week or two ago.

I have used hwmonitor to make sure my cpu is not running hot and the cores are never even close to 100% load. I have also run ssd tests on my ssd and it seems to be fine, good r/w speeds, so I assume that isn't the culprit.

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a hardware monitoring tool that can save the data in real time. Using such a tool I could leave it running in the background and then when a stutter happens I could go back and look at what the hardware was doing when it happened. Not sure if this would help narrow down the issue.
I have kept task manager up on my second screen but I never notice anything spiking while a stutter happens.

Any suggestions welcome, for the overall problem or for getting into the bios or for the hardware monitoring idea.
Cheers

I'd test with the other hard drives completely disconnected if possible, as any hitch in reading from storage (as during background periodic file indexing, etc) can cause a gaming stutter, even if the game and OS are not using the drive (beyond basic OS- file upkeep/indexing)

Apr 26, 2019
I'd test with the other hard drives completely disconnected if possible, as any hitch in reading from storage (as during background periodic file indexing, etc) can cause a gaming stutter, even if the game and OS are not using the drive (beyond basic OS- file upkeep/indexing)
Hmm ok, funny thing is I don't get the stuttering in game. Pretty only everywhere else.

Apr 26, 2019
get a kit that's supposed to run together. Might be single channel memory that's causing you to stutter.
Yeah normally I would agree with you, but these two sticks ran perfectly together before I did my mobo and cpu upgrade. The only difference was the frequency I was running. So if changing them down to 2133 doesn't replicate the issue-less performance like in my previous build, then I don't know whats up.

Apr 26, 2019
So I'm beginning to think this is the issue. I haven't actually removed the extra drives yet to test, but whenever the system chokes I can hear the hdd disk spin up to speed. If this is the issue is there a way to solve it?