Question Weird Sudden Loud Sound after installing new PSU

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
I recently encountered a perplexing issue with my PC after installing a new power supply unit (PSU). Initially, the system seemed to run smoothly after some stress tests. However, after about an hour of operation, the fans (possibly the PSU fan) suddenly ramped up to full speed, creating an alarming sound as if the system was about to fail. Concerned, I immediately shut down the PC.

Upon restarting, I noticed a white light at the top of my motherboard and no display output. I then switched the display cable from the GPU to the motherboard, which allowed the PC to start up normally. However, reverting the cable back to the GPU caused the fan to again speed up excessively, forcing me to shut down. After a few more attempts, the PC is now running on the GPU and the issue happened again.

I'm unsure about the root cause of this issue. It could be related to the PSU, GPU, or motherboard, and I'm worried about potential damage to the system. I would really appreciate your insight or suggestions on what might be causing this and how to resolve it.

CPU i5-13600k
Cpu cooler: thermalight pearless assassin SE
Mobo: Asus Prime z2790-A Wifi
RAM: DDR5 2x16gb @ 6000 mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4070 ti
Psu: Cooler Master mwe 850W Gold
SATA Ssd: 2x
Nvme m2: 1x
Chasis: Phanteks p400
Monitors: 3 monitors, primary being 2560x1440

And the Psu is new, bought and installed today

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
CPU i5-13600k
Cpu cooler: thermalight pearless assassin SE
Mobo: asus Prime z2790-A Wifi
RAM: DDR5 2x16gb @ 6000 mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4070 ti
Psu: Cooler Master mwe 850W Gold
SATA Ssd: 2x
Nvme m2: 1x
Chasis: Phanteks p400
Monitors: 3 monitors, primary being 2560x1440

And the Psu is new, bought and installed today.

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Hey there,

As suggested, what bios are you running? it should be 1604. Updating the bios may help.
I am running 1402 if I recall correctly. How would updating my BIOS help in this I wonder though, this issue only came up after getting a new PSU. Then again, no harm in trying it of course and having an updated BIOS is a good idea.