What AMD Thinks of Nvidia's GeForce GTX 480

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I am not sure why everyone is unimpressed with the GTX480 card. It is a clear performance winner over 5870 in most games, and the ones where it is not, I am sure it is a driver issue since the card just got released.
If you want pure performance, like me, this card is the winner. I currently have GTX285 in my machine, and the 480 is a very viable upgrade.
The two main problems with the card are: heat output and fan noise; however if you are in the market for the top end card, you probably can afford a single bracket GPU water cooler system that will neutralize both of those problems.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]wait the reviews that I have read are very impressed with fermi... what is everyone else reading? Fermi tops the charts in 99% of the benchmarks that I saw for a single GPU card. Maybe I am not seeing the full picture, lol[/citation]Maybe you're skipping the part where you get a 5-15% increase for a 20% increase in price, the power consumption, and heat issues. I'd have to agree that the ATI fanboy's are out in force, cheering, but nVidia didn't knock the ball out of the park, or even close. It's more like a base hit, they're in the game with a DX11 part, but not really that close to scoring. Or even better, nVidia finally got a point on the board, but ATI is up by 3 or something. Meh, analogies.

I'm actually getting pretty annoyed with the ATI flag waving at this point, and I own a 5850! Just a comment for those of you bashing at this point, Further improvements in drivers will likely produce a more competitive part. nVidia has sunk a lot of effort into it's driver software and it has paid them back. The backbone of most ATI bashing I encounter revolves around their drivers. ATI drivers are much improved, and if you deal with drivers the way you should, you've likely have had no problem in the past anyway, but nVidia does do a better job here. They're easier for people who just uninstall and put forward no further effort to deal with it, than people who treat their drivers with the sobriety they deserve. The point is that nVidia may get that 20% performance difference with later drivers.

The heat and noise and power consumption are other issues. Honestly, my 5850 is on track to pay me back with my power bills compared to my GTX260 already, and is nowhere near as hot. But for those for whom the performance crown is all that matters, then, provided decent support by nVidia (which I'm sure they'll get) They have what they came for.

That's the problem. The card is expensive to buy, and expensive to own; too much so for the performance edge that no one denies that it has. The operative word there seems to be "edge," however; and the difference doesn't justify the cost. It was a big letdown for a lot of people. I don't think the story is quite over yet; drivers are immature as you say, but I don't expect any big changes.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Why stop at SLI? The true benchmarking enthusiast will drop a grand a half, fifteen hundred dollars for tri-SLI.

G

If only they could figure out how to make a driver, they would actually be a good graphics card company.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
What i don't understand is how do the GTX 200 series have a memory interface of 448-bit (bigger) than the f*cking GF100's 384-bit memory interface? Just doesn't make sense...

[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]wait the reviews that I have read are very impressed with fermi... what is everyone else reading? Fermi tops the charts in 99% of the benchmarks that I saw for a single GPU card. Maybe I am not seeing the full picture, lol[/citation]

Yeah, I think you need to take off your rose colored glasses and go re-read the article again. While they do decent in some perspectives, overall they are quite a disappointment after all the hype. I am afraid I have to give nVidia a big "Fail", and I was looking forward to so much more. And the price? HA! That ain't going to last long if they expect to sell any of these. Only die hard nVidia fans are going to shell out what they want for these things.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
At this point it doesn't really matter very much how GTX 480 stands up against high-end ATI cards, nVidias reputation has taken a huge hit out of this whole circus with chunks of wood and whatnot.

They have a lot of catching up to do if they want to regain the trust of their previous customers.

I think a good start would be to open source their Linux drivers, users will move to Nouveau and quickly unless they do something very soon.

seanlansing

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Someone on here mentioned anandtech's review so i was going to check it out and it looks like they have been hit with malware. Google blocked the page and listed this as the reason:

Of the 234 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 17 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-03-27, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-03-27.

Malicious software includes 19 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including googleanalyticsz.com/, mjgjo.com/, googleanalyticz.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including whoiz.shit.la/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS36643 (EICOMM).

nirdinur

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
1. 5XXX is for overclocking. Fermi is for overhyping...
2. I am an ATI supporter but I was impressed by the 475+-5 cards. Good performance and noticeable lead over 5860+-10 on enough benchmarks. I think the power/heat/noise problem is a drawback but this was no surprise for a long time.
3. I don't care who has a 10% lead over the other on what resolution. I think that ATI won this round by a knock out because Nvidia has nothing competitive to offer to anyone with a budget of less then 300$ and will not have anything for a long time. How many Fermis can Nvidia sell? 100K-200K top? in the meantime ATI will sell millions of cards to the majority of the market. So the most important thing for Nvidia is not to top 5870 in performance but to launch cheap Fermis ASAP. until then they are out of the big boys game.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
well what would you expect them to say "yeah, nvidia is smoking us in performance - go out and buy our competitor's product". I'm not sure I understand the point of the article.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Martie[/nom]If only they could figure out how to make a driver, they would actually be a good graphics card company.[/citation]

dont forget to the new power supply, wich will need AT LEAST 60 AMPS.
and a FERMI certified Case to keep these grills to an aceptable temp levels.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]hundredislandsboy[/nom]AMD's statement is not a statement but a question:That's it? Is that all you've got? You made us wait 6 months for a soft release?[/citation]

paperlaunch you mean, nothing being sold until 12th of next month.

PaTrond

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
AMD forgets one thing: Nvidia is way closer making a CPU replacer with their Fermi. The Fermi has most of the same technology and the abilities that were previously missing. I agree that the card gets way too warm and has a way too loud noice under both idle and load. Waiting for Asus to do their job on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.