[SOLVED] What is causing black screen + buzzing crash and frame lag?

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
I have a system with the components listed underneath my username. I occasionally get black screen crashes+ a buzzing sound where I have to full reset the pc. I also fail userbench's sphere GPU benchmark when I try to run it. I also get occasional frame-lag where the screen pauses for a micro second or so when I'm playing LoL. How do I test for the proper failed component?

Solution
Black screens and buzzing is usually one of 2 things. Overheated vram on the gpu (vram is not the graphics processor, so has no temp sensor) or driver conflicts.

Use DDU from guru3d.com to clean out any and all driver related files. It'll take you through safe mode to do so. Then install a fresh copy from scratch.

If you still get crashes, I'd pull the shroud off the gpu (couple of really tiny screws is all) and make sure that the heatsink/fans are clean.

Worst case scenario would be repaste on the processor (no big deal really) and a check on the condition of the thermal pads. They should have decent indentations from being squashed against the vrms/vram on the card.
black screen crashes are usually the GPU or power supply...if the GPU fan / heatsink is clean and working then I would look at the power supply being the issue. the only way to prove one or the other is to swap components with know good ones or buy a power supply tester.

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
SO download cpuid Hwmonitor. Monitor your temps while gaming see if things are heating up right before it crashes.

One of the problems is that it is very rare that it crashes like this. Not an everyday occurence. I have a really aggressive fan curve in precision X which would run the fans extremely loud if the GPU was getting anywhere close to 80 degrees C, so I can tell the GPU was not overheating.

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
black screen crashes are usually the GPU or power supply...if the GPU fan / heatsink is clean and working then I would look at the power supply being the issue. the only way to prove one or the other is to swap components with know good ones or buy a power supply tester.

By GPU fan/heatsink working do you mean running under normal conditions or running after the crash?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Black screens and buzzing is usually one of 2 things. Overheated vram on the gpu (vram is not the graphics processor, so has no temp sensor) or driver conflicts.

Use DDU from guru3d.com to clean out any and all driver related files. It'll take you through safe mode to do so. Then install a fresh copy from scratch.

If you still get crashes, I'd pull the shroud off the gpu (couple of really tiny screws is all) and make sure that the heatsink/fans are clean.

Worst case scenario would be repaste on the processor (no big deal really) and a check on the condition of the thermal pads. They should have decent indentations from being squashed against the vrms/vram on the card.

Solution