Sahir Dizdarevic

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Last edited:
Solution
I definitely didn't know that. I already bought SSD, it will arrive tomorrow most likely.
What you're telling me is great, I will do it like that then. So only I Need to plug SSD in and download software for cloning and clone. That's it!?
How long does it take to transfer ~400GB?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the...
Yes, that's OK.

Crucial MX500 would be another good choice.

I'm not sure about your motherboard. There might be some limitation on how much SSD capacity your board will support. Probably not, but I'd confirm that. Look at your motherboard manual.

I have and old 1TB HDD and Gigabyte H81M-S motherboard so I decided to buy an SSD.

But I wonder what kind of SSD my mobo supports?

I'm not sure if my mobo supports nvme SSD's, is it even that much faster than standard SSD?
What connectors also do I need for and SSD? I've never possesed any of SSD's.

For example I am looking for something like this!?
View: https://imgur.com/xF9KtjX

or:
View: https://imgur.com/ZJSkHm0
??

Thanks!
Your mobo does not support a m.2.
Shop for a 2.5.....straight swap for your hdd.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Sahir Dizdarevic

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Okay. Now when I bought SSD, I have one more question.

Can I somehow install w10 system on SSD and use it, delete old system on HDD but hold all my data, I have very important stuff on my HDD and some files are huge ~25GB.
Uploading it on onedrive or something similar will take forever since my internet here is horrible.

What I was thinking was to plugin SSD, select boot priority to it and install fresh w10 system on it.. whole time HDD will be plugged in aswell and then I want somehow if possible to delete system from HDD but hold all other data on it. Can I do this? Is it even possible to do!?

EDIT: Btw I bought SSD Samsung 500GB EVO 870

USAFRet

Titan
Okay. Now when I bought SSD, I have one more question.

Can I somehow install w10 system on SSD and use it, delete old system on HDD but hold all my data, I have very important stuff on my HDD and some files are huge ~25GB.
Uploading it on onedrive or something similar will take forever since my internet here is horrible.

What I was thinking was to plugin SSD, select boot priority to it and install fresh w10 system on it.. whole time HDD will be plugged in aswell and then I want somehow if possible to delete system from HDD but hold all other data on it. Can I do this? Is it even possible to do!?
A better concept would be to clone everything from the HDD to the new SSD.

How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
What size SSD are you considering buying?

Your theoretical procedure above is filled with mistakes.
We'll get to that later.

Sahir Dizdarevic

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
A better concept would be to clone everything from the HDD to the new SSD.

How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
What size SSD are you considering buying?

Your theoretical procedure above is filled with mistakes.
We'll get to that later.

Yeah, cloning, I heard something about it. Maybe that would be better option after I Install fresh system on SSD (500GB)
My HDD is 1TB and currently ~550GB consumed, but I don't need all 550GB's. Maybe around 100-150GB's I would need to transfer.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, cloning, I heard something about it. Maybe that would be better option after I Install fresh system on SSD (500GB)
My HDD is 1TB and currently ~550GB consumed, but I don't need all 550GB's. Maybe around 100-150GB's I would need to transfer.
Get that actual used space to below 400B, get the new SSD, and then we can go into the clone thing.

And to be clear...you don't install the OS on the new drive then clone.
Instead, you clone everything, including the current OS, to the new drive.

Sahir Dizdarevic

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
I definitely didn't know that. I already bought SSD, it will arrive tomorrow most likely.
What you're telling me is great, I will do it like that then. So only I Need to plug SSD in and download software for cloning and clone. That's it!?

USAFRet

Titan

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution