super_asgeir

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
Hi there!
I have a decent gaming pc that I've had for about 9 years now. I run most games fine (medium to ultra) at 1440p 144hz but I'm struggling with PUBG, which is a problem as I've gotten into playing it competitively lately. I suffer from extreme freeze spikes, which I'm fairly sure is due to my old CPU, as I've seen reports of others with the same line have similar problems.
Unfortunately, I pretty much have the best CPU my motherboard can handle. Which means I need a new motherboard, and likely RAM as well. Most USB ports on my motherboard are doling out insufficient power or broken anyways.
Does anyone have good recommendations for a decent upgrade without breaking the bank? (I'll probable be buying a full new prebuilt in 2-5 years when my GPU gives out. Probably just gonna buy the most expensive <Mod Edit> I find at that point)
I might as well upgrade to 32gb ram if I need new ram sticks.

Tldr; need new CPU (probably motherboard, ram). Suggestions?

Current specs are:
PSU: Corsair RM850, 850W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H55
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI PLUS, Socket-2011-3
RAM 16 gb: 4x Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 4gb
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti (Palit Jetstream)
Storage: 2tb HDD, 240gb SSD for system, 960gb M2 SSD.
Case: CM Storm Stryker Gaming Big Tower

OR if anyone knows how to fix PUBG stutter, that would solve the same issue, as that's the only reason for the upgrade.
Reddit-post I made on the pubg stutter issue:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/11l02a0/stutttering_issues/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there!
I have a decent gaming pc that I've had for about 9 years now. I run most games fine (medium to ultra) at 1440p 144hz but I'm struggling with PUBG, which is a problem as I've gotten into playing it competitively lately. I suffer from extreme freeze spikes, which I'm fairly sure is due to my old CPU, as I've seen reports of others with the same line have similar problems.
Unfortunately, I pretty much have the best CPU my motherboard can handle. Which means I need a new motherboard, and likely RAM as well. Most USB ports on my motherboard are doling out insufficient power or broken anyways.
Does anyone have good recommendations for a decent upgrade without breaking the bank? (I'll probable be buying a full new prebuilt in 2-5 years when my GPU gives out. Probably just gonna buy the most expensive <Mod Edit> I find at that point)

Current specs are:

OR if anyone knows how to fix PUBG stutter, that would solve the same issue, as that's the only reason for the upgrade.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/11l02a0/stutttering_issues/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Budget and location?

PUBG runs quite easily and is not a demanding title.

What is cheaper in Norway, AMD or Intel? The 5600x and the 12400 are both more than capable of running PUBG at very high framerates. I would suggest new ram, new psu and new cpu cooler as well. AIO coolers typically last 5-7 years on avaerage.

Hi there!

Current specs are:

Just to take a look do you have the ram in the proper slots?
How much ram is being used when you play this game?

Reactions: Vic 40
Could you have a monitoring software installed and see the temps and clock speed while you are gaming?

monitoring software like HWinfo would be great.

I also feel that the 5820k can handle PUBG and that the problem could be due to the H55 AIO. But we need to know the temps and clock speeds when these micro stutters occur.

Is this a new thing?
Stuttering is usually a temporary lack of a critical resource.
Typically CPU.
Most games depend on the performance of the single master thread.
Your I7-5820K was a top dog for multithreaded processing some years ago.
But, today, for gaming, the single thread performance is not so good.
A modern processor like even an I3-13100 would do better.
It is about twice as strong as your 5820K
If you buy a lga1700 DDR4 motherboard, you could reuse your DDR4 ram.
DDR4 performs about the same as DDR5.
LGA1700 is not dead, it can handle the very strongest of cpu upgrades.
And, rumor is that 14th gen refresh will be out this year for the 1700 motherboards.

super_asgeir

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
PUBG runs quite easily and is not a demanding title.

What is cheaper in Norway, AMD or Intel? The 5600x and the 12400 are both more than capable of running PUBG at very high framerates. I would suggest new ram, new psu and new cpu cooler as well. AIO coolers typically last 5-7 years on avaerage.
The cooler has been changed out with an identical cooler at some point a couple of years ago, as the old one went bust and I got a new one on warranty. Checking temps it looked ok.
5600x and 12400 are not too far away in price (200$ vs 240$ respectively)
Just to take a look do you have the ram in the proper slots?
How much ram is being used when you play this game?
I assume they're in the proper slots. Never moved them and I got it prebuilt. Taken out and in once.
Looking directly at the motherboard, from left to right its in the 1, 3, 6, 8 position.
According to task manager I was using about 11gb total, with TsiGame(Pubg) using about 4,5gb.
For what it matters CPU load seem to rarely go above 60%, and GPU jumps about from 50-95%+.
dxdiag recognizes 16gb memory.

Could you have a monitoring software installed and see the temps and clock speed while you are gaming?

monitoring software like HWinfo would be great.

I also feel that the 5820k can handle PUBG and that the problem could be due to the H55 AIO. But we need to know the temps and clock speeds when these micro stutters occur.
Downloaded HWinfo. Saved a log and a report if you want them, not quite sure how to share them here. Got a CSV and HTM file. Max CPU temp never went abvove 67C.
Memory timings: Memory clock max hit 1,066.6 MHz.
GPU:
GPU Clock Max: 1,873 MHz. Avg: 1,690 MHz.
GPU Memory Clock: Max: 1,377 MHz. Avg: 1,377 MHz.
GPU Video Clock: Max: 1,582 MHz. Avg: 1,440 MHz.

I dont really know how to use it but here are files from HWinfo:
CSV file - Log from a very short game, with stutters:

HTM file - report:
I found something worth investigating, it seems the GPU is being throttled by power and your PSU. Have a look into columns KE and KG.

Can u run PUGB with reduced graphics settings and try again once more? lower texture and shadow details and lower resolution and try again. The GPU power draw in JE column is well within the limits of 2 x 8 pins and pcie power draw, but thats still surprising...

I can also see these factors affecting the GPU core clock in column JQ, but i could be wrong and this could be within the normal expected clock speed fluctuations...

super_asgeir

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
I found something worth investigating, it seems the GPU is being throttled by power and your PSU. Have a look into columns KE and KG.

Can u run PUGB with reduced graphics settings and try again once more? lower texture and shadow details and lower resolution and try again. The GPU power draw in JE column is well within the limits of 2 x 8 pins and pcie power draw, but thats still surprising...

I can also see these factors affecting the GPU core clock in column JQ, but i could be wrong and this could be within the normal expected clock speed fluctuations...
Here's a short game with all settings on the lowest preset:

I am seeing less clock speed fluctuation this time.

Did you still have stutters in this session with reduced graphics settings?

Whats interesting to note is that, the GPU still reports voltage fluctuations from PSU in column KG...

super_asgeir

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
I am seeing less clock speed fluctuation this time.

Did you still have stutters in this session with reduced graphics settings?

Whats interesting to note is that, the GPU still reports voltage fluctuations from PSU in column KG...
Yes, I still have stutters. I might have had less, but still enough to make it a frustrating experience.
There's literally no other games I experience this with. It might be of note that the stutters are worse the more players are closeby, but they never go fully away.