Question What part of windows controls CPU throttling?

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
I dont wanna get too detailed about my tests but to summarize i have hard proof of windows throttling CPU and linux doesnt do that and at the moment i am trying to find out what part of windows, or switches or whatever controls this throttling, with no limitations on maximal stress temperature gets 80Cs max.
In windows if i reach 75Cs or more it will auto throttle down and because its windows and i play games i hit this value quite a lot so i would love to move this switch to 85 or 90Cs.
My computer is Thinkpad E580 with following specs:
CPU I5 8250U - can run up to 3.4ghz constantly under max load with GPU safely
GPU RX550
iGPU intel UHD 610
running windows 10 pro
rest is irrelevant

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Laptop with cpu @90C ?! Are you trying to kill it?
Improve cooling of your laptop. Get a cooling pad for your laptop.
Maybei badly explained it, i mean raising the cap on 90Cs, on itself it is impossible to get it past 80, but just in case something happens

EDIT: i was also doing some research and it seems that it is quite rare and it affects mostly lenovo users, but i think thats just coincidence

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Most likely controlled by BIOS, except for settings in Power Plan > Cooling>Active or passive, nothing is controled by Windows.
Bios doesnt seem to have upper hand, as i mentioned i can run it on full speed however i want willy nilly on linux and NOTHING is stopping me, i pretty much confirmed this is something on windows.

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Windows don't have anything like that but there may be a program or setting that came with your laptop from manufacturer.
Not sure if that can be a case because i installed it from clean iso and all drives wiped before

EDIT: I spent a LOOOONG time trying to figure out issue but nothing is changing stuff

CPU Throttling is controlled by the CPU itself when the workload causes the CPU temperatures to get too high, it throttles back to drop the temperature to protect itself.

Doesn't matter if it is Windows or Linux operating system or any other application for that matter the CPU takes care of controlling it's own temperature monitoring.

You want to stop thermal throttling get better cooling for the CPU.

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
CPU Throttling is controlled by the CPU itself when the workload causes the CPU temperatures to get too high, it throttles back to drop the temperature to protect itself.

Doesn't matter if it is Windows or Linux operating system or any other application for that matter the CPU takes care of controlling it's own temperature monitoring.

You want to stop thermal throttling get better cooling for the CPU.
Not sure how many times i have to repeat it that the cap is more strict on windows, as clearly stated this throttling does NOT happen on linux, this obviously shows something is controlling it on windows and throttling it quicker. On linux ill run 3.4GHZ how long i want and no matter the temp but windows quickly freaks out and throttles it

The difference is due to windows and linux using different CPU throttling profiles.

You do have some control over this on linux. For example, the following command will show you which profile is currently being used:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

There are ways to choose which profiles to use. The Arch Linux wiki has good information on this, it may be worth a read:

CPU Frequency Scaling - Arch Wiki

There is an additional issue of fan control -- you need to make sure you have the proper drivers for controlling your fans and that they are set to a high enough speed when gaming.

Linux on Laptops can be a helpful resource.

Being that you have a Thinkpad E580 they have locked the bios so you cant change the thermal throttle. This protects them as a company from people damaging the computer and then trying to get it replaced under warranty.

+100*c damage cpu
+90*C degradation
anything bellow 80*c is a happy place.

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
The difference is due to windows and linux using different CPU throttling profiles.

You do have some control over this on linux. For example, the following command will show you which profile is currently being used:

There are ways to choose which profiles to use. The Arch Linux wiki has good information on this, it may be worth a read:

There is an additional issue of fan control -- you need to make sure you have the proper drivers for controlling your fans and that they are set to a high enough speed when gaming.

Being that you have a Thinkpad E580 they have locked the bios so you cant change the thermal throttle. This protects them as a company from people damaging the computer and then trying to get it replaced under warranty.

+100*c damage cpu
+90*C degradation

i kinda realized the difference and my goal is simply to do the same on windows as i can on linux, i understand it is very different and stuff, but i just want to use PCs full potention when i have to use windows thats all i dont want anything more

+100*c damage cpu
+90*C degradation
Additionally to this, Intel and Windows stick to UEFI for CPU control. Specially in laptops.

In Linux you can override UEFI settings easily via the Kernel power daemons.

I have no idea if there's any tools out there that can help you remove or modify (in Windows) the CPU power behaviours as you can do in Linux, but I wouldn't count on that, as Intel is very keen on keeping overclocking in closed platforms to a premium.

Cheers!

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
No! (Sorry, I meant extremely unlikely and certainly not worth the risk of destroying your laptop for the sake of removing thermal throttle which is there to protect the laptop).
well i will certainly look into it more because this really doesnt protect laptop and its just extremely annoying
one detail i will mention is that for first month from laptop purchase this wasnt happening, and it just keeps confusing me to this very day

well i will certainly look into it more because this really doesnt protect laptop and its just extremely annoying
one detail i will mention is that for first month from laptop purchase this wasnt happening, and it just keeps confusing me to this very day
If its a thermal throttle there may be more to it, have to voided your warranty, taken it apart and blown the fans out etc with compressed air? Loving your confidence that you are more aware of the product than the people, you know, that built the product!! ;)

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
If its a thermal throttle there may be more to it, have to voided your warranty, taken it apart and blown the fans out etc with compressed air? Loving your confidence that you are more aware of the product than the people, you know, that built the product!! ;)
I opened it yesterday just to see its construction properly and i just casually looked into fan and it was pristine clean, and this thermal throttling is arbitrary so it at least gives me some chance to investigate

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
That's a bit cynical. Because people in the old days were putting CPUs off-spec to get the most out of them that "overclocking" became mainstream. Instead of "overclocking", we're now just given a sandbox to toy with a few parameters (not that it is not welcome).

If the OP wants to burn his CPU in the name of performance, I welcome the sacrifice as long as he shares his experience.

Cheers!
i can assure you that this thing will not burn no matter what kind of insanity i throw at it

EDIT: i deliberately tried for keks to see if i can get over 81Cs on temperature on maximum possible load i can throw at it, no succes which is good

i can assure you that this thing will not burn no matter what kind of insanity i throw at it

EDIT: i deliberately tried for keks to see if i can get over 81Cs on temperature on maximum possible load i can throw at it, no succes which is good
Just keep in mind that, if you go over a certain temperature, you're at the mercy of whatever toothpaste Intel and the OEM/Manufacturer of your laptop decided to use and if it can cope with the energy transfer. My comment is absolutely intended as written.

So, I applaud your curiosity, but just make no mistake on the warnings everyone is giving you here are not trivial.

Cheers!

Reactions: CountMike