Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
In MSI Afterburner there are two settings regarding power, there's the "Power Limit" setting and the "Power Voltage" setting. So what setting manages the undervolting? I wanna try undervolting my GPU, I have been studying and reading about it on the internet and on numerous forums, and from what I have been hearing, it's a good thing to do, it's not gonna do any serious damage on a PC.

Sorry for the simple but dumb question, just have to make sure.

Last edited:
Solution
In MSI Afterburner there are two settings regarding power, there's the "Power Limit" setting and the "Power Voltage" setting. So what setting manages the undervolting? I wanna try undervolting my GPU, I have been studying and reading about it on the internet and on numerous forums, and from what I have been hearing, it's a good thing to do, it's not gonna do any serious damage on a PC.

It's the VF curve. See https://sff.life/how-to-undervolt-gpu/

Ralston18

Titan
"Good" is subjective.

Go back a step:

Why do you want to "undervolt" and what benefits do you expect?

Are those benefits truly measurable and the end results practical or uselful.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How do you use your computer/GPU: Gaming, video editing, mining?

What games and apps to you play?

Read the documentation for your motherboard, CPU, and GPU.

Those are the guiding documents with respect to overclocking, etc..

Even if MSI Afterburner enables "undervolting" that does not mean that doing so will really prove worthwhile and not put your build at some risk.

FYI:

https://techie-show.com/how-to-undervolt-gpu/

Do not undervolt yet.

Use the link to do some tests and collect data with your system as is. Then decide how you wish to proceed.

Post accordingly.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
If you don't have any real issues with temperatures, you should just leave it at that. Unless we're talking about a 5700xt and then it is mandatory you undervolt, because those cards get shipped with an absurd 1.2v stock lol.

It's the VF curve. See https://sff.life/how-to-undervolt-gpu/

Solution

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
If you don't have any real issues with temperatures, you should just leave it at that. Unless we're talking about a 5700xt and then it is mandatory you undervolt, because those cards get shipped with an absurd 1.2v stock lol.
I'm, not happy with the temps I'm getting with my GPU. It reaches 85 degrees and above when gaming, the GPU is 4 years old it's an RX 480 from MSI.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
"Good" is subjective.

Go back a step:

Why do you want to "undervolt" and what benefits do you expect?

Are those benefits truly measurable and the end results practical or uselful.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How do you use your computer/GPU: Gaming, video editing, mining?

What games and apps to you play?

Read the documentation for your motherboard, CPU, and GPU.

Those are the guiding documents with respect to overclocking, etc..

Even if MSI Afterburner enables "undervolting" that does not mean that doing so will really prove worthwhile and not put your build at some risk.

FYI:

https://techie-show.com/how-to-undervolt-gpu/

Do not undervolt yet.

Use the link to do some tests and collect data with your system as is. Then decide how you wish to proceed.

Post accordingly.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
I am not happy with the current temps the GPU is giving me, 85-90 when gaming....I haven't replaced the thermal paste yet, which is 4 years old, haven't done any type of major cleaning also within the system. Just a little use of compressed air, no thorough cleaning, so a bit guilty here if the GPU is running hot, I mean 4 years without any thorough cleaning, it's obvious that this is one cause of the overheating. I just wanna try undervolting first before cleaning and replacing the thermal paste, I just wanna lower temps a bit more for a little bit of headroom for the GPU before I fully clean and replace the thermal paste and the components inside the chassis.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
You're tackling this backwards imo. You pretty much admittedly said that aside some general dusting, you never actually did a proper cleaning in 4 years. I mean... undervolting is not some sort of magic pill im afraid. Im pretty sure if you actually sit down half a day and properly clean your pc, it will go back being in full working order. 85/90 degrees in games suggest a problem that goes beyond simply undervolting. Undervolting can shave 3/4 degrees at best in the best case scenario. The problem would still be there. It's not like once you'll undervolt your gpu will go back to 70 degrees. If that's what you're looking for, you're looking for the wrong answer.

Also, those cards (rx series) are well known to be pretty much heat dispensers.
View: https://youtu.be/w03bINVnXGo
Here. But again, your problem is not voltages.