[SOLVED] What should I upgrade to get better fps in fortnite and for streaming?

Jun 23, 2020
I purchased a prebuilt cyberpower pc from best buy a while ago and want to upgrade it pretty soon.
The specs are:
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Amd ryzen 5 3600
amd radeon rx580
8gb ddr4 ram

I would like to upgrade my pc slowly, but which upgrade would yield more fps in fortnite and on streaming?
I tried streaming the other day and got around 40-50 fps on fortnite.
Thanks.

Solution
I'm just getting into streaming so any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I have the OBS software and will try to stream on twitch.
I'm not too sure how many gb my graphics card has but this is what the best buy website says:
  • Graphics
    Info
    AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Graphics Type
    Info
    Discrete
  • GPU Brand
    AMD Radeon
  • Video Memory
    Info
    8192 megabytes
you have 8gb,its the best version of rx 580 which is perfect.
Well i dont know much about OBS streaming,all i know is that you should set it to be on 720p 60fps.I think you pc is more than capable of handling it.
I purchased a prebuilt cyberpower pc from best buy a while ago and want to upgrade it pretty soon.
The specs are:
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Amd ryzen 5 3600
amd radeon rx580
8gb ddr4 ram

I would like to upgrade my pc slowly, but which upgrade would yield more fps in fortnite and on streaming?
I tried streaming the other day and got around 40-50 fps on fortnite.
Thanks.
Ram deffinitely.
Get up to atleast 16gb total.
How much GB does your rx 580 have?
What will you be using to stream?

Jun 23, 2020
Ram deffinitely.
Get up to atleast 16gb total.
How much GB does your rx 580 have?
What will you be using to stream?
I'm just getting into streaming so any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I have the OBS software and will try to stream on twitch.
I'm not too sure how many gb my graphics card has but this is what the best buy website says:
  • Graphics
    Info
    AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Graphics Type
    Info
    Discrete
  • GPU Brand
    AMD Radeon
  • Video Memory
    Info
    8192 megabytes

• Graphics
    Info
    AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Graphics Type
    Info
    Discrete
  • GPU Brand
    AMD Radeon
  • Video Memory
    Info
    8192 megabytes
Well i dont know much about OBS streaming,all i know is that you should set it to be on 720p 60fps.I think you pc is more than capable of handling it.

Solution
Jun 23, 2020
Ok thank you! One last question, when installing ram do I simply just take out the old ram and install the new one? Or is there a memory transfer that I have to do?

Ok thank you! One last question, when installing ram do I simply just take out the old ram and install the new one? Or is there a memory transfer that I have to do?
There is nothing that needs to be done,software wise.Simply follow this steps:
-if you are buying a whole NEW 2x8gb KIT than just remove that ram that is in your build,and put the new one in.
-If you are just adding ram,simply push those 'levers' on the DIMM slot and insert the new RAM by pressing the both sides of the ram until it either slides in or you hear a click.(use this method for both situations.Its the same if you are adding more ram,or replacing it with the new kit)
This video might help you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqj1vjBkgeA&list=PLqb4fdDIN1jh5ghPiv2v3yxrsPl5BMoPH&index=4&t=0s

Jun 23, 2020
There is nothing that needs to be done,software wise.Simply follow this steps:
-if you are buying a whole NEW 2x8gb KIT than just remove that ram that is in your build,and put the new one in.
-If you are just adding ram,simply push those 'levers' on the DIMM slot and insert the new RAM by pressing the both sides of the ram until it either slides in or you hear a click.(use this method for both situations.Its the same if you are adding more ram,or replacing it with the new kit)
This video might help you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqj1vjBkgeA&list=PLqb4fdDIN1jh5ghPiv2v3yxrsPl5BMoPH&index=4&t=0s
Thank you for all of your help!

Reactions: Dj0gany
Upgrading ram will certainly help. If you aim to simply add another 8gb stick, it is imperative that you get an identical stick as the old one. If you don't get an identical stick, all sorts of instability and wonky stuff may happen. Even getting an identical stick isn't guaranteed to work.
If you plan on getting a 2x8gb kit, get at least a 3200Mhz cl16 kit.

In regards to your gpu, amd doesn't really have a viable gu encoding like nvidia does. You'll have to use x264 hardware encoding through your cpu. OBS will gladly use a bunch of threads of your cpu, so start low, 720p60, x264 fast and the game low as well.

(Nvidia gpu's can use the Nvenc encoder, which makes obs use the gpu instead of the cpu, often times its better in quality and performance impact is minimal)

Jun 23, 2020
Upgrading ram will certainly help. If you aim to simply add another 8gb stick, it is imperative that you get an identical stick as the old one. If you don't get an identical stick, all sorts of instability and wonky stuff may happen. Even getting an identical stick isn't guaranteed to work.
If you plan on getting a 2x8gb kit, get at least a 3200Mhz cl16 kit.

In regards to your gpu, amd doesn't really have a viable gu encoding like nvidia does. You'll have to use x264 hardware encoding through your cpu. OBS will gladly use a bunch of threads of your cpu, so start low, 720p60, x264 fast and the game low as well.

(Nvidia gpu's can use the Nvenc encoder, which makes obs use the gpu instead of the cpu, often times its better in quality and performance impact is minimal)
Which nvidia gpu would you recommend? I was looking to upgrade my gpu but I have no idea what I should upgrade it to.