kevintandel

Prominent
May 24, 2018
I bought a New Dell G5 Series Desktop - Inspiron 5090 and I'm just confused whether I can upgrade to 32GB of RAM? Or what type RAM I need to upgrade to 32GB.

The desktop has 2 x Dual Channels - where one of the Dual Channels has 2x8GB Ram = 16GB

The 8GB Ram:
  • Dual-channel DDR4
  • 2666 MHz

Min Ram Required is 8GB and Max is 64GB

Now, in Dell's Manual, it says:
Configurations Supported
8 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (1 x 8 GB)
16 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2 x 8 GB)
32 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2 x 16 GB)
64 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (4 x 16 GB)

So I was wondering, whether I can buy 1x16GB RAM and insert it in the Empty Dual Channel (Since the other Dual Channel already has 2x8GB RAM) Or do I have to get 2x8GB and fill up all the slots?

I'm making sure to have all the specifications the same as the existing RAM in the system (E.g. 2666MHZ, DDR4, 288pin) but can I add 1x16GB RAM Stick on top of the 2x8GB RAM Sticks? Also, can the specifications be the same, but with a different brand?

So the 2x8GB are Dell Brands - could I get 1x16GB RAM from Kingston or Patriot or Crucial? (Depending on what type of RAM I actually can get)

Thank you for your help! Also, if there's any more information or things I should know about, please let me know! The more I know the better. Thanks, once again!

Solution
If this is a every day use or gaming computer 16GB is more then enough. The time hasn't come quite yet for the necessity of 32GB of RAM for gaming.

Now to your original question, if the computer has two DIMM (RAM) slots on the actual motherboard the only way to get 32GB of RAM is buying a set of 16GB.

If you motherboard has 4 DIMM slots, and only two slots have RAM then you can use four 8GB sticks. If that is the case you can try and add another set of RAM HOWEVER there is no guarnettee it will work. RAM is sold in matching pairs or sets for this exact reason. Not to say 100% that it wont work but you can have issues like RAM instability, RAM running at slower speeds the advertised, one, two or three sticks wont work...
If this is a every day use or gaming computer 16GB is more then enough. The time hasn't come quite yet for the necessity of 32GB of RAM for gaming.

Now to your original question, if the computer has two DIMM (RAM) slots on the actual motherboard the only way to get 32GB of RAM is buying a set of 16GB.

If you motherboard has 4 DIMM slots, and only two slots have RAM then you can use four 8GB sticks. If that is the case you can try and add another set of RAM HOWEVER there is no guarnettee it will work. RAM is sold in matching pairs or sets for this exact reason. Not to say 100% that it wont work but you can have issues like RAM instability, RAM running at slower speeds the advertised, one, two or three sticks wont work together etc.

If you want 32GB of RAM I would strongly suggest buying new matching pairs of RAM such as this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xh...gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-2666-memory-bl2k16g26c16u4b

Solution