Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?

D

Deleted member 217926

I stick to single player games myself. I have been absolutely addicted to State of Decay recently. It's a zombie survival game I got at the beginning of the Steam summer sale and have already logged over 100 hours.

Also playing the games I just got in the recent 2K Humble Bundle. So far I have played Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock Infinite and Mafia II and liked them all.

Just finished playing all 3 Mass Effect games all the way through again with all the DLC. Still my favorite games ever. Elder Scroll series and Fallout series tied for second. Can't wait for the new Dragon Age.

Reactions: njlong
D

Deleted member 217926

Oh and lest we forget what a tease Gabe is. I want this. This and a new Fallout. This and a new Fallout and Mass Effect 4. And the new Dragon Age........damnit just take my money and entertain me! :lol:

zvpoa1.jpg

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm going to get banned for spamming the thread! :D

Have you played the Mass Effect games? Well worth checking out if you like sci fi at all. Bioshock? Start with the first one of course. Half Life franchise? All are excellent in their own way even the original from 1998. If you can stand slightly dated graphics and like the idea of surviving the zombie apocalypse in your own way then I fully recommend State of Decay. Tried the Crysis games? The Deadspace series? Far Cry 3 and the Tomb Raider reboot were both very good. That's just off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions then ask away.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I played the first Mass Effect - I didn't ever get around to finishing it. It just felt like a lot of stuffing around.

I wasn't too good with the mechanics of it all. Hmm.

I don't know I didn't feel a connection with it even after 24 hours into the game.

I played through Transistor and loved it as well. I have the OST on my phone, the vocal tracks are amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGMWL8cOeAU
I'm looking forward to more from Supergiant Games, they really surprised me with Bastion, I was sure I wouldn't like it judging it on paper.

Fallout 4
I got suckered in hard by that hoax, I want so much... :(

One game I am looking forward to playing is Dark Souls II, its already released but I haven't bought it just yet as its a tad too expensive right now. Though my itch for punishingly hard "true" RPG's with in-depth environmental storytelling is not being scratched by the original Dark Souls anymore since GFWL killed the PC release :mad:.
The Season 2 Finale of Telltale's The Walking Dead is also something that cant come soon enough, and we know Season 3 is coming.

Bioshock 1 and Infinite in that order, Bioshock 2 isnt that great.
Spec Ops: The Line, its good just in a way that makes itself apparent later on.
Far Cry 3
Dead Space 1 if you want some horror, as the series progresses it gets too much into action and EA-ish (Microtransaction everything!)

I like single player also. Unfortunately I'm behind the times due to my work load. Lately I have got to play some Far Cry 3. It's got relatively easy controls, beautiful scenery, and it's fairly open world. It does have some glitches/bugs that have never been fixed, but they are more amusing than annoying.

I played Assassin's Creed Black Flag earlier this year. What's to say... who doesn't love pirating? I thought it was an excellent game although it did seem to break the mold of it's previous versions.

mlga91

Admirable
Im waiting for Dark Souls 2 to lower it's price, despite being a bad port, i really enjoyed the first one, also looking forward for the witcher 3, the two first parts are real masterpieces.

D

Deleted member 217926

I got The Witcher and The Witcher 2 as part of some sale a few months back and haven't played them yet. Is Dark Souls playable without a controller? It looks great but if I wanted to use a controller I would have bought a console :D

AFG I can't believe you didn't like Mass Effect. Did you like Dragon Age Origins?

Hawkeye, I thought AC4 was a blast myself. I also loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Both came with my video card. I also got some Batman game with the card but it took me less than an hour to decide that game was terrible and uninstall it.

mlga91

Admirable

There are people that can play dark souls with k/m, there is a mod that allows you do it, but, in my opinion, its better with a controller.

Technically yes, but its a lot easier with one. I took one look at the KB/M controls and plugged in my Dualshock.

The first one? Yes, it's playable once you install DSFix and DSM fix for it. I finished it a while back. Really an amazing game. Also, which batman game was it that you didn't like?

Right now, not playing anything, though I have like eight backlogs left that I have to fire up and finish.

I played 'The Wolf Among Us' a few weeks back. I waited till all the episodes were released so that I could get more continuity for the story. It was so spectacular story-wise. The background score was superb and the decision making really interesting.

I played Black Flag a few months back. It was the next best AC game for me after AC II and Brotherhood. Really looking forward to Unity.

D

Deleted member 217926

Batman: Arkham Origins. It was just so repetitious and boring. Maybe if I was more of a fan of the comics or the franchise I would have liked it. It was the first and only Batman game I have ever played.

Origins was a bit dissapointing, it was basically Arkham City with just an extra area tacked on. The franchise is starting to succumb to Spectrum and Power Creep I feel.
I recommend trying Asylum, City will just feel like more of the same if you played Origins first (and this way you keep the chronology correct).

One game I recommend is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. You need (as in literally need) a controller to play it given its unique control scheme. The feels at the end, there have been very few media products that legitimately had me choking up.

Arkham Origins is developed by WB whereas Arkham City and Asylum were developed by RockSteady and the new Arkham Knight coming is also made by RockSteady

But no one gave an opinion for Bioshock Infinite?

Couldn't agree more on that. I played it on a keyboard however and didn't find it hard to control or anything. It's an amazing game with a very interesting way of putting in gameplay mechanics and story.

I played it earlier back in the year, and it was great! I liked the floating city better than the underwater theme by the previous two installments. Great plot and characters in the game make it a must own.
The gameplay however, I did not like, I will admit. Just go here or there and you reach a shooting gallery and then continue etc etc... The story was mainly the only thing that made me want to go further and finish the game.

Reactions: PEnns
Infinite is a game that would have benefited from not being a Bioshock game IMO. The mechanics and tropes of Bioshock were a bit at odds with the world, Vigors just felt like something they had to include to replace Raptures Plasmids. The original Bioshock was all about how the Plasmids (combined with the ideology) destroyed Rapture, while Columbia seems unaffected by plasmid/vigors.
The ending is also a really good mind-bender, though in retrospect I would have preferred if "Bioshock" was just a theme of ideological cities than the techno-magic that places Columbia and Rapture in the same universe(ish).

Reactions: PEnns

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I was thinking of finishing Bioshock Infinite.

Wondering about the DLCs though.

Play as Elizabeth. Kill.

Ooooh.