Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
...I too have seen the many reports of privacy issues with Epic Games Launcher. They're only response to it accessing your Steam account has been only if you link Steam games to your account...
i was a little concerned when i saw the reports of it accessing steam files and other user information. they claim they are only collecting data for existing "friend" lists to add to your account. similar to when apps connect to your contacts lists, supposedly to make it easier to connect to your friends. though this is more than likely bs. even if it's not, i don't want to be auto-added to any program's "lists" just because a friend of mine installed their software.

Lately I've been playing The Division 1, and just started World War Z.

The Division 1 can be quite fun at times, but it's also a tedious grind to get good gear and weapons. Most say assembling a gear set (Vest, Backpack, Mask, Kneepads, Gloves, Holster), of which there are at least 14 types, is the way to go. They award certain bonuses when assembled. Nomad is probably one of the most popular gear sets because it aids in healing the player and at max bonus level can actually heal beyond 100% vs dying. This is why it's one of the only sets recommended for solo play.

So far I've been winging it and just trading up best gear pieces and weapons I scavenge, only selecting weapon parts I scavenge. I've not done any crafting, buying or recalibration of bonuses (gear attributes) or talents (weapon attributes). It got me through the full campaign on Normal and every mission replay I've tried so far on Hard and even Challenging no problem.

Part of what helps in playing solo is using your Skills wisely. I have found Gas Seeker Mines, followed by high placement of the Sensor Turret, is quite effective at taking out even tough enemies, whilst I stay back and focus on those trying to destroy the turret. This however means your effectiveness with these tactics also depends on the environment. My Signature skill is Recovery Link, which aids in healing you either automatically in small increments, or massively in cases of emergency, which takes a long cooldown to use again. I plan on building a Nomad gear set in hopes to use the Signature skill that focuses more on firepower.

More preparations are required to play on Legendary or Heroic difficulty modes, which are only available once a week I think. I HAVE seen some playing missions solo on Legendary, but you must avoid exposure as you can die pretty quickly.

World War Z is designed very much like L4D. It has Screamers that attract more zombies, Hazmat guys that give off toxic gas when killed, the Bull, a big riot armor tank zombie, and the Creeper, whom quietly waits and pounces on you. It also has defenses you can set up such as fixed machine guns, auto turrets, barbed wire, electric traps, etc.

It only has 4 maps, Moscow, New York, Tokyo, and Jerusalem. Three of them have 3 locations, and one of them has only 2. Most seem to be saying more locations will be added. The graphics look pretty good though and the game is well optimized. My 1080 SC can play it on 1440p fine with no lag or stutter.

The game is made by Saber Interactive, whom made Time Shift and Quake Champions. It uses their new Swarm Engine, which facilitates lots of NPCs onscreen and is why they can pull off such a game with pretty good detail, realism, and more importantly, steady FPS. IF you can call zombies that scale walls by climbing on top of each other "real" that is.

It's a lot of fun and at first play after tackling a few missions, it also feels like your squad AI are more capable and autonomous than those of L4D, and I only gave a couple "Follow" commands during non action moments. The game has 6 classes to choose from and quite an extensive weapon upgrade system.

It's only $35, but the catch is, it's only available on the Epic Games Store.

@ JBG,

Yeah it just seems interesting 4A did their best work while struggling through horrible conditions in the cold in Ukraine, even having to smuggle content in from abroad. It begs the question if that posh studio on Malta is making them complacent.

Last edited:

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?
Don’t know how much hate I’m going to get, but I play Fortnite 🤦🏼‍♂️ Minecraft atm due to zero skill

Apr 9, 2019
Assassin's creed unity, got the game recently when ubisoft gave it away because of these notre dam news.
I remember being so hyped about this game when it first came out but never got my hands on it. The bugs people complained about are there and it gets really annoying but still the my 12 year old self's hype is still there so I fought through them. I really like the parkour and combat in this, it gives you more control and makes it more challenging then the previous games. I also like the coop modus and wish ubisoft could get back to another assassin's creed coop game this one has very few missions, there is no support for it at all and the netcode is horrible but I still think assassin's creed would be great for more polished coop missions

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
A fully modded Skyrim SE, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and PES 2019. I recently upgraded my rig to a ryzen 2200g with an Nvidia 1060, so yea. Been enjoying these games at high graphics, especially Skyrim. Ooohhh boooy the tons of mods I've installed makes the world alive, I can even say it feels like an entirely different game altogether. Skyrim's modding community is 100/10 in my opinion. 👌🏻

Reactions: Papaija
D

Deleted member 217926

There are some awesome Skyrim mods. It can absolutely be a different game when you're done. Have you seen Enderal?

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
There are some awesome Skyrim mods. It can absolutely be a different game when you're done. Have you seen Enderal?

Yessir, but I will try that one after I finished playing the skyrim that I made with my own choices of mods (400+ so far)

D

Deleted member 217926

I haven't played since the Special Edition was released but I modded the base game a few times. I'm sure it's better now since the SE is 64bit. The main problem the original had was it could only use about 3GB of RAM due to being 32bit. Once you installed an ENB and a few dozen mods it could get problematic. They've probably got a stable script extender now and are done with game patches. I need to take a look.

Also want to do Fallout 4 at some point. They were still doing game patches last I looked and those broke the script extender. I've done Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I haven't played since the Special Edition was released but I modded the base game a few times. I'm sure it's better now since the SE is 64bit. The main problem the original had was it could only use about 3GB of RAM due to being 32bit. Once you installed an ENB and a few dozen mods it could get problematic. They've probably got a stable script extender now and are done with game patches. I need to take a look.

Also want to do Fallout 4 at some point. They were still doing game patches last I looked and those broke the script extender. I've done Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Only played vanilla on the fallout games. Might mod soon.
Me, I've played skyrim since 2012. Been modding, uninstalling, upgrading my rig, then reinstalling the game for better mods. Now I can play in HD and with a lot of immersion and npc mods. I just love playing it now. It's like... A forever game. Hahahahaha

D

Deleted member 217926

I've been an Elder Scrolls fan since Morrowind came as a showcase title with a GeForce Ti 4600 back in 2002. :p I preordered both Oblivion and Skyrim. I'll preorder TES 5. Not a fan of online only games so I haven't played TES Online.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I've been an Elder Scrolls fan since Morrowind came as a showcase title with a GeForce Ti 4600 back in 2002. :p I preordered both Oblivion and Skyrim. I'll preorder TES 5. Not a fan of online only games so I haven't played TES Online.
Same fam. Started with Morrowind also. Damn those were the times

recently started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided again.

this game is definitely not for all. just because it still has never been updated/fixed for the problems with DX12 and general engine problems. in my first 10 hours I probably had 20 CTD or total system freezes. after turning off DX12, through the next 10+ hours I've still had 5-6 crashes. guess that's why the Dawn engine was never widely used. I don't remember it being so bad when it was released, but judging by the forums and complaints all over I'm guessing I had just forgotten.
gameplay is awesome. it's one of the best times I've had with a "shooter" in a while. enough to keep me playing through all the crash problems.

I'm dying to play the new System Shock remaster currently being developed. this has been a good temporary hold-over for now. just need something to help with all the Cyberpunk 2077 anticipation now.

Been playing RAGE 2 lately. IMO it's definitely better than the first one, but is not without bugs. It's a bit grindy, but that has it's rewards. The combat is great, especially once you level up your skills and acquire decent weapons. One nit pick for me though is the lack of consistency and fluidity with controls. It's probably me at times fumbling with the keys during chaotic moments, but it doesn't help that literally every skill power is Ctrl + something to execute.

I also played World War Z a bit. It's not bad but solo can be hard in some maps until you know where the zombies come from and how to prepare for them, even on easiest mode. I got really upset when one of the maps just repeatedly refused to load. Many have complained of bugs that should have been fixed pre release. I have pretty much shelved it until a patch fixes a lot of the problems, especially the one that keeps one of the maps from loading.

I'm also revisiting Sniper Elite 4, this time persevering to 100% each level on Hard difficulty. I had a hoot last night going for the Speed Demon challenge in Lorino Dockyard. It's funny because I purposely did the stealth challenges first, thinking they were mutually exclusive to allowing less than 2 min of resting heart rate, which is what Speed Demon is.

So I went for The Shadow (no red alerts) and No Tagging (no binoc marking) challenges. I then did Fleet of Foot (10 trap kills without red alert status while doing so), and Operation Inferno (10 Panzerfaust kills) the next run. Surprisingly I managed to achieve The Shadow whilst completing the Speed Demon challenge, and I did it in a little over 19:30 level time with only 19 sec resting heart rate accumulated. The key is picking a good route and reloading a prior save if you get spotted.

The funniest one though was Operation Inferno. I was worried whether I'd be able to do it because some say you can only get 5 Panzerfaust rockets from where you pick it up at the armory. I actually could only get 4 rockets after picking it up, reloading it, and trying to pick up more. I managed to get a triple kill my first rocket where an officer is lecturing two of his men in the next room.

Despite my findings that the armory room did in fact add one rocket after the first two times firing and reloading for a total of 6, I decided to try to go for more triples. I found that if once you get 3 enemies in close range hearing your lure rock landing, in which case they'll take cover if they're already at yellow alert, they will group together if you actually throw the rock at one of them. It just seemed odd they were scared enough to take cover for the mere sound of a rock landing, yet come rushing to investigate if one of their buddies get hit by one.

Sniper Elite 4 is a great game, and I am looking forward to the next one.

May 24, 2019
I am playing the 2005 version of
Need For Speed Most Wanted
images

Hey guys. Sorry, I lost track of the thread. I should try and post more often.

Since the last time I posted, I've played through a lot of games.

On the PS4, I finished Marvel's Spiderman - developed by Insomniac. It was a solid Spiderman game and those are hard to come by. I loved the web swinging in this and I did so many things I never would in other games. For once, I actually cared about the collectibles in the game and I finished the game with most of them done. The story was quite nice with the characters being well written. The boss battles are a bit weak though. Late in the game you're introduced with 5 of one the main villains in the Spiderman universe but their presence in the game was very brief. I loved how they presented Doc Ock and he was the only villain who was there throughout the game.
Combat was nice with the whole Batman Arkham vibes. Sometimes they get really tough. There are a lot of Spiderman suits that you can unlock as you progress the game, each with it's own unique abilities.
Now I'm playing through God of War and it's an absolute blast! I'll write about it more once I've finished the game.

On PC, I've finished Yakuza Kiwami, Life is Strange, Freedom Fighters, Hitman 1&2 (reboot). Yeah, that's a lot of games.

Yakuza games continue to impress me although Kiwami is like a 1 to 1 remake of the original, you can sense the content missing compared to Yakuza 0. It's also a lot more dated compared to 0 so there's that. I'm loving them however.

I had never actually heard about Freedom Fighters until recently and how it was an amazing game from it's time. I played through it and sure enough I liked how you could approach missions strategically and how you could recruit people from the areas to fight with you. It was pretty amazing and I don't see games do that anymore...

The Hitman reboot games are so fun! I always had a hard time trying to stealth my way in the older Hitman games. The AI was just too strict and nosey that they'd spot you fairly quickly (at least that was how it was always for me). But in the reboot, the way they've handled the disguises and how enemies can understand who you are, is so much better. Missions were so much fun. I think Hitman 2 took it up a notch and I really loved the Mumbai mission along with the finale.

I only just finished playing Life is Strange a few days ago. I did want to play through the game from like 3 years ago but I only finally decided to give it a go now. I haven't seen many games use the time travel concept much and I think Life is Strange does it pretty well. There were several moments where I was pretty surprised with the time reversal gameplay alone. The story was on a different level, definitely. Always is with these sort of games.

Now I'm going to finish off Resident Evil 2 Remake with a Claire B run. I had put off from the game for around 3 months. It's definitely time to head back. I now play with the 'X gon give it to ya' mod just for the giggles. Makes me less nervous when you know who is around.

currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
this is probably the 3rd time i've started it since purchase quite a while ago. 1st run through was very bugged, crashed constantly, think i only got ~3hours in. 2nd time lots of smaller bugs and clipping problems, also quit under 10 hours in. now i'm ~55 hours in and it has been a good experience minus a couple game freezes. i really love the combat. in the beginning of the game the story is good too, though it seems they had trouble keeping up with good ideas or keeping good writers around as the game progresses. honestly just doing raids on enemy camps, harvesting their loot and getting back to civilization to trade, recover, and upgrade some is keeping me going for the time being. i'm slowly progressing into the very end game now. i would love to see Warhorse Studios do a fantasy themed RPG with this engine and similar gameplay.
not sure what's up next in line. leaning towards finally playing Original Sin 2 or Pillars of Eternity 2. also really want to finally play the 2017 Prey's Mooncrash expansion.

some very awesome news on the game front, though very frustrating at the same time: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 has been re-announced.
targeting 2021 release date. WHAT, announced just to drive fans freaking nuts? guess it has worked for Cyberpunk 2077.
may have to play through the original series again now for the 5th or 6th time. anyone have any recommendations for newer overhaul MODs for Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, or Call of Pripyat?
www.stalker2.com

Last edited:
KCD. What an unoptimized and buggy mess.
getting 75-125 fps with HD addons and Ultra settings @ 1440p. besides 2 game freezes over 50+ hours have had no problems at all. just about all of the problems have been ironed out though it has taken quite some time. almost all of the latest bad comments i've read are just people trying to turn up their settings too high for weak-ass hardware.

I've finished my Claire B run in Resident Evil 2. Even thought it had been 3 months since I last played the game, the level layouts were still familiar. I didn't notice too many differences compared to Leon A except one section (police station underground parking). I kinda now understand why the A run doesn't give you the proper ending. I felt Claire's submachine gun was pretty damn good. I really hoped for an automatic weapon for Leon too but the SMG for Claire really hit the spot during some of the encounters. The weapon differences were good I guess. I did miss the shotgun.
Wondering what I'll play next on the PC...

I've finished my Claire B run in Resident Evil 2. Even thought it had been 3 months since I last played the game, the level layouts were still familiar. I didn't notice too many differences compared to Leon A except one section (police station underground parking). I kinda now understand why the A run doesn't give you the proper ending. I felt Claire's submachine gun was pretty damn good. I really hoped for an automatic weapon for Leon too but the SMG for Claire really hit the spot during some of the encounters. The weapon differences were good I guess. I did miss the shotgun.
Wondering what I'll play next on the PC...
Yeah I liked the SMG too. It's invaluable for dogs and leg shots on regular zombies to knock them down quick for a multiple knife slash kill. The knife too, I really don't know why some guides suggest to just not carry it in your inventory. It can really save resources.

I wasn't expecting too many differences in layout between Leon and Claire since it all takes place in the same general locations, but one segment you didn't mention for Claire's play through is being able to briefly play as Sherry. Playing as Sherry is probably the most unique experience, since it all has to be done with stealth and no combat.

I don't recall why, but I left off somewhere in Leon's run on Hardcore after beating it on the Standard mode, and haven't gone back and finished it yet. I'm pretty sure it was getting sidetracked by a couple games that had just come out that I wanted to try. I do recall that limited saves via typewriter ribbons wasn't at all a problem though.

I find the key things to mastering the game are 1., knowing the layout well, 2., remembering where you left Lickers alive (to avoid them via different routes), 3., knowing how to evade Mr X, 4., knowing where you can safely dash to a save spot, and 5., using tricks like dashing past Mr X when he's in a door entering animation. I also felt it was very useful to use the Spark Shot as Claire against the level 3 G, but I've also seen skilled players use just the SLS 60 with HP rounds, knife slashes when he's stunned, and the acid launcher (takes a LOT of rounds on Hardcore though).

BTW, I thought it was quite strange they gave the Mini Gun to Claire instead of Leon. It was odd playing that way, and I had to wonder if it was an homage to, or sarcasm aimed at all the SJW feminists out there.

Recently I decided to go back and play through Dead Space 3 on Impossible mode again and finally use the Rivet handgun with Electrocution Module. I could never figure out before how to build it, but finally found a guide on it. The thing is pretty damn useful. You can even plant rivets where you know enemies will spawn, or in front of you as a sort of mine. You basically just fire one, then hit Space to activate the electricity whenever you want. If you place just one well, it can take down 2 or 3 enemies. Tougher enemies like Wasters take an extra shot though. So sad the idiots at EA canned that series.

Last edited: