Question When I turn on Power Saver on My Windows 10 Power plan my CPU temperatures decrease dramatically. Is it a bad thing to keep my pc on power saver mode

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Hi, I turned on "Power saver mode" on my windows 10 Power plan. And it dramatically decreased my CPU temperature and power consumption. Where I am from the Ambient temperatures are really high around 42c. So my I7 13700K runs hot even with a 280 MM Aio. I didn't undervolted my cpu. I just want to know if I keep running my pc on Power saver mode will it affect anything? is it good to run it on Power saver mode If i want to lower my temps and power consumption? I dont really care about Performance as I dont really game that much.
MY SPECS

I7 13700K
ASUS z690 TUF DDR5 MOBO
32GB DDR5 RAM
GIGABYE Aorus 4070TI
NZXT kraken x63 AIO

Hi, I turned on "Power saver mode" on my windows 10 Power plan. And it dramatically decreased my CPU temperature and power consumption. Where I am from the Ambient temperatures are really high around 42c. So my I7 13700K runs hot even with a 280 MM Aio. I didn't undervolted my cpu. I just want to know if I keep running my pc on Power saver mode will it affect anything? is it good to run it on Power saver mode If i want to lower my temps and power consumption? I dont really care about Performance as I dont really game that much.
MY SPECS

I7 13700K
ASUS z690 TUF DDR5 MOBO
32GB DDR5 RAM
GIGABYE Aorus 4070TI
NZXT kraken x63 AIO
With ambient temperatures running that high you should definitely keep a close eye on temperature during heavy use. Just changing the power plan will only affect temps when it's basically idle, but when using it in a manner you buy that much computer for it will still get just as hot. Otherwise, it's definitely not going to harm your system by changing power plans.

If CPU temperatures are running high the best approach is to both under-clock and under-volt, something that should be possible with a K series CPU on a Z series motherboard. I believe there are usually eco-mode or reduced TDP settings in most BIOS's that essentially do that for you in a way that's less intrusive performance wise and also makes it easier. Engaging these features will definitely not be harmful but actually be much better for it than letting it bounce off of designed-in thermal safety limits.

I'm not really sure what these "eco-mode" features might be called on Intel platforms. You'll have to check your motherboard manual to find out.

Also, most gaming isn't that stressful on modern multi-core CPU's as it's really the GPU that gets far more stressed. So watch temperature closely on that too and take similar actions if needed.

Last edited: