When will i be able to buy Ivy bridge boxed processors

serion442

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
basically what the title says i see all this announcements but when i Google an actual day i can buy the boxed processor i get nothing and i was just wondering what people might know

serion442

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
hmmm i have been debating this. and honestly i have flip floped soo many times haha. but what do you mean there is no difference arent all these benchmarks and reports saying there is !!

sandy bridge launch should be this weekend, today was the nda lift.

the drop will not be much, it never is, look to the prices of the old i5's. there may be spot sales, there are occassionally 2500k's on sale in the uk at 145 vs 165 normally, but only from one shop and for a day or two at a time. I think the superior overclocking from the 2500k will maintain the prices.

Undermoose

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I'm thinking if your buying new, or even have a Ivy ready Mobo now, Ivy is the way to go.

I want PCIe-3.0 for my 7990 and Battlefield 3, Thank You.

And future gen gaming will certainly look towards the bandwidth of PCIe-3.0.

PCIe-3.0 seems to be the unsung major benefit of Ivy Bridge.

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Well if you do get a sandy get a 2011 model. My theory says that there better than the ivys coming out. Well they will release better 2011 ivys next year sometime.
The sandy 2011 are 6 cores at the moment but they do cost a lot.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Friday to Monday. NCIX up here told me the 27th (Friday) but it has been semi-reported Monday... I emailed the guy I deal with and he said they weren't sure but it will be later this week or Monday/Tuesday at latest.

Also performance is actually 5-12% better depending on what you use it for. I do agree with some posters who say any IB will be the same as last gen for gaming. It's the increases in performance for processes like video encoding that are useful.

Also if you plan to overclock you may want to stick with SB as they can run cooler with air than IB.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Ivy's are priced slightly lower than sandy's, barring price drops to SB.

There's no point in upgrading from a SB to an IB but if you aren't overclocking I don't see why you wouldn't go IB.

ekcell

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
OP

I don't know why everyone is telling you not to get the Ivy Bridge, they will be cheaper and better than sandy and as one poster commented, intel has the new pci 3.0 slot, which will surely be the video card slot of preference.

The 2500K sandy bridge, is worse in every way to the ivy bridge analog the 3570K. They are probably telling you not to get something better so they can tell themselves that they still have the best.

It was smart to wait to buy Ivy Bridge, as many have commented, prices in processors just don't go down. There are still core 2 duos kicking around for $125. Just wait until they've settled down in price from initial release (a month or so). Read some reviews, and get the new ivy bridge processor you want.

There are some forums and whatnot around that talk about how the 2500k is an amazing overclocker (and it is), but I think if you wait, you'll see people do amazing things with the 3570K as well. If nothing else, you get the full benefit of USB 3.0 native, PCI Express 3.0, price, and all the other benefits of the new z77 chipset.

Don't have your bubble burst just yet.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Other than IntelEnthusiast, i dont think any one else answered what you were asking.
So yeah...it says when you compare CPU's that the 3770k will be shipped out 29th April 2012. So, in couple of days, probably.

And by the way, if the price of Ivy Bridge is going to be like £15-£30 in difference, why not get the Ivy Bridge anyway. Its only £15-£30. You're already spending atleast £160-£260 on a SB

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

How is IB going to be cheaper?

At the press announcement earlier this week we stated that the price for the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors in lots of 1000 were going to less than the price on the 2nd generation Intel Core processors in the same product space.

So it might start off a little higher as reseller work to meet demand the prices on the 3rd generation Intel Core processor should drop below their current price of the 2nd generation Intel Core processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Ah, I see. Anyway, all this agonizing over "should I get 2500K or 3570K?" stuff, when the differences are like splitting hairs. All other things being mostly equivalent, and if you are not concerned with extreme overclocking where there may be a temperature differential between IB and SB, just get the newer one unless it is going to be hard to come by in the first month and you want to build NOW.

It sounded like OP was banking his decision on the hope that Ivy Bridge was going to be significantly better than Sandy; hence the reason for some to point out that it seems like the performance gains will be minimal.

the thing is, it was never going to be significantly better, it'd have been nice to have been as good an overclocker with a bit better perf per clock, and it seems to be about there, just a little toasty, so for 'normal' overclockers on air its not as good, for those with big water loops, or sub ambient they may get better results.

The question no-one has been able to answer yet is what is the safe voltage for tri-gate transistors?, the tjamx is known and is the same as for SB, 99C I think, which I find a little odd for new process having exactly the same max temp as the previous process.

dcointin

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I think the biggest factor in your decision should be the price point. If the Ivy Bridge is priced similarly to the i5 2500k, then I would go with it since it's more efficient and slightly more powerful. If it's significantly more expensive though and price is an issue then go with the Sandy Bridge.

Personally I'm quite impressed with Ivy Bridge. It's smaller and more efficient, while still providing a slight increase in performance. That's the definition of progress in the computer world.