Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Greetings,

Apologies if some of you might not understand the thread question since it's sounds a little bit gobbledygook, but recently a question popped out of my head. Here's an example so you people who are very well versed in computers can understand it to a greater degree. For example, if I copy let's say a video file coming from an SSD and I'm transferring/pasting it to an HDD, the copy and paste speed will be based off what? The copy and paste speed of the SSD or the HDD? I'm not really sure what formal term you use for copying and pasting files (all I know is I think it's also called "data transfer") so I just used those exact plain words to help others just like me who are not really well versed into PC terminology understand. And vice versa, if I copy a file coming from an HDD and pasting it to an SSD, where is the transfer speed based off, the HDD or the SSD? Same question also applies for external storage devices. Hopefully you can all give simple to understand questions, I don't really mind going in depth as long as I can still understand some of the thoughts you guys have.

Thanks.

Solution
Greetings,

Apologies if some of you might not understand the thread question since it's sounds a little bit gobbledygook, but recently a question popped out of my head. Here's an example so you people who are very well versed in computers can understand it to a greater degree. For example, if I copy let's say a video file coming from an SSD and I'm transferring/pasting it to an HDD, the copy and paste speed will be based off what? The copy and paste speed of the SSD or the HDD? I'm not really sure what formal term you use for copying and pasting files (all I know is I think it's also called "data transfer") so I just used those exact plain words to help others just like me who are not really well versed into PC terminology...

kanewolf

Titan
Greetings,

Apologies if some of you might not understand the thread question since it's sounds a little bit gobbledygook, but recently a question popped out of my head. Here's an example so you people who are very well versed in computers can understand it to a greater degree. For example, if I copy let's say a video file coming from an SSD and I'm transferring/pasting it to an HDD, the copy and paste speed will be based off what? The copy and paste speed of the SSD or the HDD? I'm not really sure what formal term you use for copying and pasting files (all I know is I think it's also called "data transfer") so I just used those exact plain words to help others just like me who are not really well versed into PC terminology understand. And vice versa, if I copy a file coming from an HDD and pasting it to an SSD, where is the transfer speed based off, the HDD or the SSD? Same question also applies for external storage devices. Hopefully you can all give simple to understand questions, I don't really mind going in depth as long as I can still understand some of the thoughts you guys have.

Thanks.
The slowest device. In your example, the write speed of the HDD.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Ohhh..so in layman's terms, the transfer speed will always be based off the slower drive? Sorry for being so repetitive I would just like to make sure that's all.
Yes. WHATEVER is slowest. If you are copying from an M2 NVMe to a SATA SSD, the SATA SSD will be the limiting speed. If you are copying from a SATA SSD to an M2 NVMe, the SATA SSD will still be the limiting speed.
Having a Ferrari that can do 180 MPH doesn't matter if the road is jammed with cars doing 20MPH. The fastest that Ferrari can go is 20MPH.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Yes. WHATEVER is slowest. If you are copying from an M2 NVMe to a SATA SSD, the SATA SSD will be the limiting speed. If you are copying from a SATA SSD to an M2 NVMe, the SATA SSD will still be the limiting speed.
Having a Ferrari that can do 180 MPH doesn't matter if the road is jammed with cars doing 20MPH. The fastest that Ferrari can go is 20MPH.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an elaborated answer.

USAFRet

Titan
Even more, the overall speed can be further limited by how you're transferring.

2 fast NVMe drives, but with one of them in an external enclosure, connected to a USB 1.0 hub....that USB speed is now the limiting factor.

The slowest device in the chain.