Question Where do i connect all my 8 rgb fans?

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Okay, so i got 2 hubs each having 5 ports. (came with a kit of fans)

This one:

hub1.jpg.e3c518f33238f0685e799f0951b2c3ab.jpg

I want to be able to control the rgb, i don't really mind the fans blasting at full speed all the time
So i was told to connect to the motherboard, but i heard that too much rgb fans can overload and kill the board
I don't wanna risk that at all. I don't mind the fans blasting at full speed all the time so connecting to PSU i thought was an option
But then i won't be able to control the RGB to customize the look of my system.

So, what do i do? Again, all i want is to safely power 8 rgb fans and be able to at least control their rgb lighting.

Edit: Link containing info on the hub and rgb fans Link

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
RGB fans are interesting beasts that combine two SEPARATE devices into one unit - a fan with a motor whose speed you want to control, and RGB lights in the frame whose pretty patterns you also want to control. In each case the power supply for that device provides power AND control, so the max power drawn by that device must match the power available from the supply. And that means if you connect many devices of the same type to a single supply, the total load cannot exceed the supply. With many RGB fans you need to do some calculations and maybe use additional Hubs or some ways to manage all this.

The Thermaltake system you have does all that management for you and you will NOT overload things if you do what it says. Each of the Riing Plus fans has both a motor and some RGB lights, and a single cable from it ending in a non-standard connector that gets power AND control for BOTH devices from a single output port of the Hub you got. Well, you have two Hubs. EACH Hub gets its power from a cable that plugs into a 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU, so this does NOT pose any overload problem for the mobo headers. The Molex can provide a lot of power, but there is a minor limit - the Thermaltake website says you should not plug in more than THREE of those Hubs to a single Molex output connector. You only have two, so no problem. The the Hubs come with cables so you can connect from one of its sockets to a mobo USB2 header. The Hubs also come with a "bridging" cable, and it appears you use this between sockets on two hubs to connect the USB lines from one to the other. In effect, this puts BOTH of your hubs on ONE mobo USB2 header to save you a header. NOTE that each Hub has a set of DIP switches that you must use to set different device addresses for each so that the USB2 system can deal with them, AND so that the Thermaltake software utility can identify the two Hubs. Final piece of this system is that software utility called TT RGB Plus. It uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Hubs and thereby control ALL of the fan motor speeds AND all of the RGB lighting displays. And of course, with that set up, you then connect your fans to the Hubs only. Thus the Hubs provide all power to motors and lights, drawn from the Molex power connector and with no strain on your mobo headers at all.

Reactions: OGSnow

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Each controller seems to control 5 fans at the same time. You will only need to connect the controller to an available USB2.0 header on your board.

Might want to pass on the make and model of your motherboard.

Rampage V Edition 10

RGB fans are interesting beasts that combine two SEPARATE devices into one unit - a fan with a motor whose speed you want to control, and RGB lights in the frame whose pretty patterns you also want to control. In each case the power supply for that device provides power AND control, so the max power drawn by that device must match the power available from the supply. And that means if you connect many devices of the same type to a single supply, the total load cannot exceed the supply. With many RGB fans you need to do some calculations and maybe use additional Hubs or some ways to manage all this.

The Thermaltake system you have does all that management for you and you will NOT overload things if you do what it says. Each of the Riing Plus fans has both a motor and some RGB lights, and a single cable from it ending in a non-standard connector that gets power AND control for BOTH devices from a single output port of the Hub you got. Well, you have two Hubs. EACH Hub gets its power from a cable that plugs into a 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU, so this does NOT pose any overload problem for the mobo headers. The Molex can provide a lot of power, but there is a minor limit - the Thermaltake website says you should not plug in more than THREE of those Hubs to a single Molex output connector. You only have two, so no problem. The the Hubs come with cables so you can connect from one of its sockets to a mobo USB2 header. The Hubs also come with a "bridging" cable, and it appears you use this between sockets on two hubs to connect the USB lines from one to the other. In effect, this puts BOTH of your hubs on ONE mobo USB2 header to save you a header. NOTE that each Hub has a set of DIP switches that you must use to set different device addresses for each so that the USB2 system can deal with them, AND so that the Thermaltake software utility can identify the two Hubs. Final piece of this system is that software utility called TT RGB Plus. It uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Hubs and thereby control ALL of the fan motor speeds AND all of the RGB lighting displays. And of course, with that set up, you then connect your fans to the Hubs only. Thus the Hubs provide all power to motors and lights, drawn from the Molex power connector and with no strain on your mobo headers at all.

Wow! Super helpful post man! Many thanks!

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Update: Lost a $1000 motherboard. Pretty sure the fans killed it. What a disappointment. Don't know what to do now.
What i don't understand is, there's people out there running more than 8 rgb fans. Some knowledge must be missing.
Idk if or when i'll be able to cash out for another board, and even then, what am i gonna do? re-plug things so the fans
kill another board again? Should i give up on rgb? Like maybe just plug the fans on molex for cooling? And forget the rgb?
Waste of money cuz i bought them primarily for the aesthetics.

Should've trusted my instincts. Had a feeling this was trouble. You guys have no idea how disappoint i am with this.

TRENDING THREADS