Question Which card to get? 3080 or 3080 Ti

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Hi!

So I have two option for the same price and I don't know which one to choose. I can buy an RTX 3080 Ti FE and an RTX 3080 Strix v2 for the same price. I will use it for at least one year and currently i'm on 1440p and I don't plan to change it anytime soon.
I have a 11700K and 32 GB ram with it.

So what you guys think which one is better for "long" time?

I have a big enough case (Phanteks Enthoo 719) with a 360 AiO in it and 5 more fan.

I have to choose today, please help me with useful informations! :)

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Hi!

So I have two option for the same price and I don't know which one to choose. I can buy an RTX 3080 Ti FE and an RTX 3080 Strix v2 for the same price. I will use it for at least one year and currently i'm on 1440p and I don't plan to change it anytime soon.

I have a big enough case (Phanteks Enthoo 719) with a 360 AiO in it and 5 more fan.

Isnt it logical to just buy the 3080 ti

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
If they cost the same, just go with the 3080 Ti. You sound like you have your airflow sorted so the FE cooler won't be struggling.
Isnt it logical to just buy the 3080 ti

They cost the same.
My airflow is kinda sorted yes. But I want the card vertical.:D

But isn't the FE much more hotter and louder then the Strix? Or just I should just get use to it because it's the more powerful (with all that 10% xd) card?

What is the proper temp for the FE? I mean under big load 60-70 °C for the card and 80-90 °C for the memory junc isn't much?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
My airflow is kinda sorted yes. But I want the card vertical.:D

But isn't the FE much more hotter and louder then the Strix? Or just I should just get use to it because it's the more powerful (with all that 10% xd) card?
Hotter or louder it doesnt matter, what matter is the performance. If you want to make it less loud and less hot just limit your frames to the refresh rate of your monitor. For example if your monitor is 60hz, limit your games at 60 fps
Not only that but i dont think that the founders edition is that hot, the body of it is a whole heatsink and it has 2 gigantic fans.

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Hotter or louder it doesnt matter, what matter is the performance. If you want to make it less loud and less hot just limit your frames to the refresh rate of your monitor. For example if your monitor is 60hz, limit your games at 60 fps
Not only that but i dont think that the founders edition is that hot, the body of it is a whole heatsink and it has 2 gigantic fans.
It has the 3080 design not the 3090 sadly that's why I am affraid from it. I have 165 Hz monitor, so it needs the horsepower.:D But you guys think I should grab the 3080 Ti FE instead of AIB "simple" 3080?

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
I don't know yet. I want to play the new Far Cry for sure and I just got the new AC: Valhalla which I also want to try.
My so called daily games like CS:GO, LoL, Valorant run on a single toaster so those are not big deals for neither of these cards.

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
I’d take the 3080Ti, more performance and more VRAM. You can undervolt the gpu, the 3000 series seem to respond well to an undervolt for reducing temperatures and maintaining the same level of performance.
I read a lot about UV but never did it. Can you maybe show me how to do it exectly and a good value for an FE Ti maybe? :D

Hi!

Ok, I didn't see anyone else here mention this. You buy the best GPU you can afford AFTER you have a high quality power supply from a well known brand to support the new GPU. Power supply consideration comes first even if it means you have to buy a less expensive GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But isn't the FE much more hotter and louder then the Strix?
That's not quite how it works. Power consumption - that's where the heat comes from. Whether air cooling or liquid, that's something neither can get around.
It does not matter if 3080Ti #1 runs hotter than 3080Ti #2 - as long as cooling them is still within spec, of course - but that they can draw up to 400w of power or more at times.
Pulling numbers out of my butt - if the Strix runs at 60C and the FE runs at 82C, it doesn't matter, because you're still dumping a crap ton of heat in your room, and that's what ultimately warms it up.
Due to the Gpu Boost algorithm and the higher power limit, the Strix is actually going to pull more power overall than the FE, thus will warm everything up faster.
3080Ti FE has a board power limit of 400w. 3080 Strix is 450w...
You can undervolt either, and knock off maybe 40w..?

"I have a big enough case (Phanteks Enthoo 719) with a 360 AiO in it and 5 more fan."
Bigger is not necessarily better here, but instead it's harder.
[I have that chassis - it was an impulse buy - now it's collecting dust, sadly.]
The designated intakes are further from your components than they would be in smaller models. Air pressure also decreases the further it has to travel, so to make up for that, the fans should be run faster, but that means more noise...
This chassis was at least intended for liquid cooling both cpu and gpu. It's going to be rather barren inside with just a 360mm AIO and 5 more fans.

"Which lasts the longest?"
I dare say, neither. The gpu is the part of a build that tends to show its age the quickest.
When you're tired of it, try to sell it and then buy another.

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
S
That's not quite how it works. Power consumption - that's where the heat comes from. Whether air cooling or liquid, that's something neither can get around.
It does not matter if 3080Ti #1 runs hotter than 3080Ti #2 - as long as cooling them is still within spec, of course - but that they can draw up to 400w of power or more at times.
Pulling numbers out of my butt - if the Strix runs at 60C and the FE runs at 82C, it doesn't matter, because you're still dumping a crap ton of heat in your room, and that's what ultimately warms it up.
Due to the Gpu Boost algorithm and the higher power limit, the Strix is actually going to pull more power overall than the FE, thus will warm everything up faster.
3080Ti FE has a board power limit of 400w. 3080 Strix is 450w...
You can undervolt either, and knock off maybe 40w..?

"I have a big enough case (Phanteks Enthoo 719) with a 360 AiO in it and 5 more fan."
Bigger is not necessarily better here, but instead it's harder.
[I have that chassis - it was an impulse buy - now it's collecting dust, sadly.]
The designated intakes are further from your components than they would be in smaller models. Air pressure also decreases the further it has to travel, so to make up for that, the fans should be run faster, but that means more noise...
This chassis was at least intended for liquid cooling both cpu and gpu. It's going to be rather barren inside with just a 360mm AIO and 5 more fans.

"Which lasts the longest?"
I dare say, neither. The gpu is the part of a build that tends to show its age the quickest.
When you're tired of it, try to sell it and then buy another.
Hmmmm thanks for the long answear. What's your ultimate advice then? Which one to get?

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Ok, I didn't see anyone else here mention this. You buy the best GPU you can afford AFTER you have a high quality power supply from a well known brand to support the new GPU. Power supply consideration comes first even if it means you have to buy a less expensive GPU.
I have a pretty good PSU; Seasonic Prime 850W Platinum. I think it will handel any of them.

Seasonic Prime 850W Platinum. I think it will handel any of them.
I don't think so. Prime has issues with 3080, 3080 Ti and 3090. The PSU measures to much noise on the sense wire and shut down. Cutting the sense wire solves the issue.
[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
S

Hmmmm thanks for the long answear. What's your ultimate advice then? Which one to get?
Sorry - bad habit of mine.
A)3080Ti FE and either:
-Alphacool Eiswolf 2 on it.
-custom liquid cool it.

B)Strix 3080. That's it.

I have a pretty good PSU; Seasonic Prime 850W Platinum. I think it will handel any of them.
I got bad news in that it probably won't.
Seasonic Prime, and Prime based units have trouble with the high transient power spikes on these higher tier cards.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I'd certainly try your existing PSU first. I haven't read of any damage occurring, the PSU just restarts.

Also somewhere I saw reference to Seasonic PSUs built 2018 and later not having issues.

I have a Seasonic 850 Focus GX850 purchased in 2020 running a Ryzen 5950X (all core OC) and a Gigabyte 3080 TI Gaming and I've never had an issue running games or benchmarks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@wyliec2
The Focus refreshes are fine. The Focus produced before 2018 are not.
BOTH the older and newer Prime platforms have issues.

This sucks knowing I spent almost 300 bucks on a Corsair AX850 Titanium, before the transient power problem became more widely known.
Well, at least a RX 6800XT is still a viable option...