Question Which GPU's are best for 3D rendering? (AMD or nVidia)

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I currently have a 9600 GT 1GB which obviously is terrible for rendering. It took more than 15 minutes to render a single-colour donut-shaped thing with nothing in the background. I ordered new parts to build a low budget PC and decided on a GTX 650 1GB, unfortunately as I later found out it was barely an upgrade from my current GPU so in the near future I'll probably buy another one, it's too late now since the 650 has already been shipped. for said near future, which manufacturer is better to use for working in 3D? if you also have any suggestions for specific cards other than just which manufacturer is better, please don't mention anything fancy, I'm always on a very tight budget and I live in a place where everything is way more expensive than in 1st world countries, I'm looking for GTX 750 Ti / GTX 660 - level of GPU's and I currently have my sight set on an R7 260X.

so anyway, once again, AMD or nVidia for rendering?

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
  1. We need to know what country you're shopping in?
  2. What's your (local currency) budget?
  3. What websites are you shopping on?
1 USD = 2.88 GEL.
I never shop in local parts stores because there's very few, and they never have older GPU's, whatever they have costs around 30% higher than their MSRP because people here just don't know real value of things.

I use amazon (if i can find anything that ships here) ebay and aliexpress. i know aliexpress isn't very safe but sometimes it's the only choice i have.

but seriously I can take care of parts one way or another, nvidia/amd answer is enough if you can't help otherwise.

I asked about your location and budget because local pricing and availability can affect the amount of performance you can buy from AMD and/or Nvidia.

For example, the AMD RX570 is approximately 40% better in gaming than the Nvidia GTX1050Ti. In the USA, the RX570 is very affordable ($110-$120), while the GTX1050Ti is priced so high it doesn't make any sense to buy it at all (regardless of the fact that it performs worse than the RX570 to begin with), even in comparison to other higher performing Nvidia GPUs. However, in some other countries, the RX570 is priced higher than the GTX1050Ti. You get the idea.

What program are you using for your renderings?

At some point here, we're going to need to know what power supply you have (make,model,wattage) so we might as well that that inquiry started.

Last edited:

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I asked about your location and budget because local pricing and availability can affect the amount of performance you can buy from AMD and/or Nvidia.

For example, the AMD RX570 is approximately 40% better in gaming than the Nvidia GTX1050Ti. In the USA, the RX570 is very affordable ($110-$120), while the GTX1050Ti is priced so high it doesn't make any sense to buy it at all (regardless of the fact that it performs worse than the RX570 to begin with), even in comparison to other higher performing Nvidia GPUs. However, in some other countries, the RX570 is priced higher than the GTX1050Ti. You get the idea.

What program are you using for your renderings?

At some point here, we're going to need to know what power supply you have (make,model,wattage) so we might as well that that inquiry started.
alright I'll just give you specs of my entire system.

1st: I use Blender

2nd: when my ordered parts do arrive I plan to use a 350gb HDD from my 2007 PC (that I must change at some point) and a 450W PSU from another 2009 PC which is sketchy as hell, only says "Safe Power" and doesn't seem to have a model name. I'm sure I'll find something actually good until I use the new parts.

3rd: everything I ordered or already have:

-Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3
-i5 4460
-GTX 650 1G (point of this thread is to later upgrade this as it's a huge bottleneck on an already low-spec rig)
-Ankowall DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz.
-180mm CPU fan on an unknown cooler that needs to be changed (currently used on an e6600)
-450W unknown PSU
-350GB 7200RPM Samsung HDD

4th: my budget is around $60-70 and I live in Georgia (Europe).