[SOLVED] Which of these SSDs is right for me?

Apr 7, 2021
I am debating between 3 SSDs, and wondering how the specs would matter.

These are the WD Black SN750 SE, the Corsair MP600, and the Samsung 980. They are all 1 tb.

Specs:

WD: 3,600 s. read, 2,830 s. write | 525k r. read, 640k r. write.

Corsair: 4,960 s. read, 4.250 s. write | 680k r. read, 600k r. write.

Samsung: 3,500 s. read, 3,000 s. write | 500k r. read, 480k r. write.

The Samsung and WD are both 20$ cheaper than the corsair. I do a lot of gaming too, so which one do you think would be right?

Solution
My motherboard is the Gigabyte B450m DS3h. But also, to me the WD looked superior to the Samsung because it had faster speeds in everything but sequential write. It is the same price as the Samsung, 129 dollars.
"faster".

Compare 2 cars:
Car A has a top speed of 170mph
Car B has a top speed of 155mph.

0-60mph times are within 0.1 sec, with dedicated test drivers in ideal conditions.

The roads you drive on have a speed limit of 55mph, ranging to 70mph on the interstate.
And you never ever take it to the track.

Now...which is"faster"?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the real world difference is pretty much nil between them. the game will require it to read a lot of data and any of them is plenty fast enough to keep the game happy.

with that said i recently went for the samsung myself mainly sue to the fact that they seem to be the only brand that has not swapped out parts to cheaper lower performance pieces due to shortages.

the specs we see in reviews are pretty meaningless since the drives are not the same anymore despite having the same name and price.

so yah the samsung is my choice simply due to being what you think it is

edit: i went with the 970 evo plus due to the cache which the 980 does not have. was worth the few extra bucks to me even though i know it makes little real world difference :)

Apr 7, 2021
My motherboard is the Gigabyte B450m DS3h. But also, to me the WD looked superior to the Samsung because it had faster speeds in everything but sequential write. It is the same price as the Samsung, 129 dollars.

Apr 7, 2021
Oh okay, sounds good. Would the Corsair have a noticeable difference over each of them though? Right now I have an HDD that's read and write speed are usually in the kilobytes somehow, and it does to 100% use randomly, and my computer starts very slow. Hoping an SSD will fix this issue.

USAFRet

Titan
"faster".

Compare 2 cars:
Car A has a top speed of 170mph
Car B has a top speed of 155mph.

0-60mph times are within 0.1 sec, with dedicated test drivers in ideal conditions.

The roads you drive on have a speed limit of 55mph, ranging to 70mph on the interstate.
And you never ever take it to the track.

Now...which is"faster"?

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i saw an obvious jump when i went to a sata ssd from the old spinning disk.

but did not notice much difference when i went to the fast m.2 drive. it's quicker but only by a small bit. you should see a noticable difference in boot times and such going from spinning disk to the m.2 drive but it won't be 1/10th the time or any other such silliness people like to claim.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh okay, sounds good. Would the Corsair have a noticeable difference over each of them though? Right now I have an HDD that's read and write speed are usually in the kilobytes somehow, and it does to 100% use randomly, and my computer starts very slow. Hoping an SSD will fix this issue.
The difference between HDD and SSD is huge.
The difference between different flavors of SSD, not so much.

TRENDING THREADS