Status
Not open for further replies.

SUDEEP SARKER goku

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
My PC Config is:
Mother board: Asus H81M-E (Sadly one Ram slot is not working but still works)
Intel i5 4590 3.30Ghz
MSI GTX 970
8GB RAM DDR3
HDD: Disk 1 : 1 TB Western Digital
Disk 2 : 3 TB Western Digital
I want to buy a SATA III SSD for PC.
Which Brand SSD (Samsung/ Transend/Kingston/Western Digital ) & Which Storage option (Future Proof) will be better for me?
I want to use it as a BOOT Drive and for Gaming.
I saw many YouTube videos where they advised more storage in SSD meaning more speed. But I already have 4TB of storage so I do not know should I buy 128GB with Cash Memory or should I try to buy 256GB with Cash Memory or save for 500GB storage?

Solution
So if I go For Transcend 256GB with DRAM cashes Will it kind of future proof? It is my last SATA drive port so I am being extra Careful choosing my last drive.
It seems like a good option. It's nice to see it has a DRAM cache and SLC cache. You'd ideally want those for a boot drive.

In terms of future proofing, it really depends on what you do with your PC in the future. However if you want a big boost to your PC now without spending lots of money it seems like an appropriate choice to me.

If you were to upgrade your PC in future you can have multiple SSD's so I don't tend to see storage as wasted money. The only query I would have would be the size, you won't be able to install many games on a 256GB drive but it will...
The size of SSD will depend on how much space your games will take up as well as the OS. Windows 10 is occupying about 70GB on my pc, so if you have large game files to install too, space will get used up easily.
Go for the biggest SSD you can. I happen to like Crucial MX500 but the BX500 is a little cheaper and not much slower in real world use.

I would choose from Crucial, Western Digital, or Samsung. If they don't fail, you aren't likely to notice the difference.

You personally have to determine the capacity you need. No one else would know better than you.

Not sure what you mean by future proof.

I would choose from Crucial, Western Digital, or Samsung. If they don't fail, you aren't likely to notice the difference.

You personally have to determine the capacity you need. No one else would know better than you.

Any will be a night and day improvement over what you have, however my pick would be the Crucial MX500, I would not choose a BX500 as a boot drive if I could avoid it.

SUDEEP SARKER goku

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014

I meant by Future Proof that if i change my motherboard in the future i can still use my new SSD in my future Motherboard. I am Thinking about Capacity because I saw some videos on YouTube where they mentioned more capacity means more speed. Like 256gb has close to double write speed than 128GB; for that i do not know what to choose. I already have 4TB of storage for games, so i am confused.

Crucial is not available in our Area. Transcend has 5 years warranty & and also has DRAM variant . Samsung has 3 years warranty not cheap but I can not find 256gb with DRAM variant & Green Colored WD available. Can you give me some specific items of Samsung which can I choose from?

Transcend SSD link- UCC Transcend
Samsung SSD link - Samsung SSD Spartech
Walton (Local Brand) link - Walton SSD

Last edited:
Any traditional 2.5 inch SATA SSD will be usable on any motherboard.....for the foreseeable future. I assume that is what you will buy.

There are speed variations based on capacity.....whether you would actually notice the difference is another question.

Are you indifferent to cost?

Are you a slave to benchmarks or specification sheets or claims on Youtube?

You can certainly put everything you have on SSD if you can afford it. I don't know your budget. Windows itself takes up 20 or 30 GB. I have no idea what you need beyond that.

Some folks do fine with a small SSD for Windows, maybe 256 GB; and then a larger spinning HDD for everything else. Several possibilities.

Reactions: SUDEEP SARKER goku
I meant by Future Proof that if i change my motherboard in the future i can still use my new SSD in my future Motherboard. I am Thinking about Capacity because I saw some videos on YouTube where they mentioned more capacity means more speed. Like 256gb has close to double write speed than 128GB; for that i do not know what to choose. I already have 4TB of storage for games, so i am confused.
You can use any of these SSD's with a new motherboard. Larger SSD's are usually faster because they are made up of more flash chips that can be accessed simultaneously. There are multiple factors that affect an SSD's read and write speed, I wouldn't get too hung up on this. You would want a minimum of 256GB for a boot drive.

SUDEEP SARKER goku

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
You can use any of these SSD's with a new motherboard. Larger SSD's are usually faster because they are made up of more flash chips that can be accessed simultaneously. There are multiple factors that affect an SSD's read and write speed, I wouldn't get too hung up on this. You would want a minimum of 256GB for a boot drive.
So if I go For Transcend 256GB with DRAM cashes Will it kind of future proof? It is my last SATA drive port so I am being extra Careful choosing my last drive.

It won't future proof anything if it is the wrong capacity.

Or if it fails.

Or if it causes you installation problems for whatever reason.

Or if the manufacturer or seller give you customer service or warranty problems.

Tell us more about this "kind of future proof" that you have in mind.

It seems like a good option. It's nice to see it has a DRAM cache and SLC cache. You'd ideally want those for a boot drive.

In terms of future proofing, it really depends on what you do with your PC in the future. However if you want a big boost to your PC now without spending lots of money it seems like an appropriate choice to me.

If you were to upgrade your PC in future you can have multiple SSD's so I don't tend to see storage as wasted money. The only query I would have would be the size, you won't be able to install many games on a 256GB drive but it will make Windows feel a lot faster.

Solution

SUDEEP SARKER goku

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014

If you were to upgrade your PC in future you can have multiple SSD's so I don't tend to see storage as wasted money. The only query I would have would be the size, you won't be able to install many games on a 256GB drive but it will make Windows feel a lot faster.
Thank you Sir then I will Take this one as you suggested for my last drive (Till I change my motherboard) and i will again take your suggestion and will not try to install to many games on 256GB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.