Question Why Does My Ethernet Randomly Disconnect/Limited?

Mar 6, 2019
I recently built a gaming computer with the following specs:

Windows 10
Asus Z270-I with wifi Adapter
I7-7700k
GTX 1070 strix
16gb ddr4-3000
2x 256 ssd
etc.

I have google fiber with a main router that connects to to the router in my room, where my PC is.

My issue is that at any time, my ethernet can randomly go "limited" or completely disconnect for 5-60 seconds. I have run the Windows trouble shooter during the time that the internet disconnects, and it says that the ethernet cable isn't plugged in, when it is.

I have tried shutting down my pc fully and restarting it, restarting all routers, disabling the power saver mode for ethernet, messing with ethernet advanced settings, disabling the wifi adapter, uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet drivers, resetting winsock and all the other netsh commands.

I am running out of options to try. I used to have a ps4 hooked up to the same router but the issue wasn't there at the time, at least as much as I can tell. I hope it is not my hardware

Mar 6, 2019
Make and model of your router? Can you see if the router has any firmware updates pending? On your system's side, do you experience the issue while connected wirelessly? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?
The model is GFRG210. It does not have any pending updates that I can find. I have never used wireless for more than 10 minutes, but during that time I didn't have any issues. My BIOS is on the latest update. However, I don't recall always having the issue i'm having. The issue only started once the winter hit hard with cold temperatures, and has been doing it ever since. I haven't changed anything hardware or software related to make the issue come up.

Latest posts