Question Why is my computer not running at its max potential?

Jun 17, 2022
Hi,

I have bought my computer not too long ago and it seems as though my computer is not running as well as what it should.

This is the specs of my pc: https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali463/p/N82E16883360048
-I now have 24gb of ram. Added 16gb of faster ddr4 Gskill ram

I have 40% ram usage, 40% cpu usage, and 31% gpu usage on hell let loose and am getting around 50-60 fps

I have tried updating my bios but hasnt fixed the issue. Does anyone know what the issue is or am I expecting too much out of my pc?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey man! I actually tried that and it worked. I also figured out that I put the ram in unmatched slots (one in one colour and one in the other colour). Do you think itll make things worse adding back that 8gb of ram in the other coloured slot by itself
Mixing RAM, in any config or in any slots, is always a crapshoot.
Might work, might fail, might sort of work....

Hey man! I actually tried that and it worked. I also figured out that I put the ram in unmatched slots (one in one colour and one in the other colour). Do you think itll make things worse adding back that 8gb of ram in the other coloured slot by itself
16gb is usually adequate for most users, including gamers. If you really need 24gb, give it a shot. I don't think it could do any physical damage to your pc, but it could very well slow it down.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Can't hurt to try now you know the slots they should go in. But if it worked with the 16GB, I'd be tempted just to run with that. Ryzen can be picky with memory, I'm lucky this Corsair LPX runs well with this rig because I've been reading a lot of bad things about Corsair and Ryzen recently.

Plus, 2 sticks is less strain on the memory controller. I think I'd leave it be.

Edit: pretty sure your memory should be in slots A2 and B2, which I think would be different colours so it sounds like you had that right. And only just noticed your 8GB was a single stick. Just run with 2 x the new 8GB for a total of 16GB. It's enough for almost all games.

Check your hard fault page rate in task manager/resource manager/memory tab when running 2 x 8gb.
If it is near zero, you have sufficient ram for what you are doing.
Ryzen performance is tightly tied to ram.
Dual channel operation and 3600 speed is about right.
When you introduced faster ram, it would have defaulted to the lower speed at which all ram can run.
In addition, the odd 8gb would run in single channel mode(at least it would on Intel, call ed flex mode) I don't know if this applies to ryzen.

Your cpu has 16 processing threads.
But, it is likely that you are only using perhaps 4 of them highly.
Check task manager thread option, not total performance.
40% CPU usage might be normal.

Lastly, resource utilization will switch from cpu to gpu. It is not necessarily concurrent.
Actually, you would not want any resource to be 100% used.

Jun 17, 2022
16gb is usually adequate for most users, including gamers. If you really need 24gb, give it a shot. I don't think it could do any physical damage to your pc, but it could very well slow it down.
Seems to be running faster now but my hardware still seem to not be maxing out while playing games still... 30 percent cpu, 30 percent gpu and about 50 percent ram...

Probably would slow it down as it's just a single stick, I initially thought the OP had 2 x 4GB and added 2 x 8GB. But they were running with 3 sticks of memory, which is usually a bad idea.

Jun 17, 2022
Can't hurt to try now you know the slots they should go in. But if it worked with the 16GB, I'd be tempted just to run with that. Ryzen can be picky with memory, I'm lucky this Corsair LPX runs well with this rig because I've been reading a lot of bad things about Corsair and Ryzen recently.

Plus, 2 sticks is less strain on the memory controller. I think I'd leave it be.

Edit: pretty sure your memory should be in slots A2 and B2, which I think would be different colours so it sounds like you had that right. And only just noticed your 8GB was a single stick. Just run with 2 x the new 8GB for a total of 16GB. It's enough for almost all games.
Now that i am running with just the two 8gb g skill ram I put both sticks in both grey slots. Order of the slots on the mobo is black, grey, black, grey. I think that is the correct order? Dont think I will be putting the extra 8gb back in to total 24gb of ram... Thanks!

Jun 17, 2022
Check your hard fault page rate in task manager/resource manager/memory tab when running 2 x 8gb.
If it is near zero, you have sufficient ram for what you are doing.
Ryzen performance is tightly tied to ram.
Dual channel operation and 3600 speed is about right.
When you introduced faster ram, it would have defaulted to the lower speed at which all ram can run.
In addition, the odd 8gb would run in single channel mode(at least it would on Intel, call ed flex mode) I don't know if this applies to ryzen.

Your cpu has 16 processing threads.
But, it is likely that you are only using perhaps 4 of them highly.
Check task manager thread option, not total performance.
40% CPU usage might be normal.

Lastly, resource utilization will switch from cpu to gpu. It is not necessarily concurrent.
Actually, you would not want any resource to be 100% used.

View: https://imgur.com/a/9xLl5aB

Here is an image of what you were talking about I believe...

View: https://imgur.com/a/U3P39Jf

Ive updated my chipset drivers and the game seems to be running much smoother! Also have some heightened percentages for usage of my gpu... this looking better?
Thanks so much!

It's better but I think it could be better still, how old are your graphics drivers? And if that's during Hell Let Loose, what's it like with other games? I have Hell Let Loose, I'll give it a quick whirl and see what my GPU usage is.

Okay sounds good. My graphics drivers are up to date

I just ran Hell Let Loose, my CPU was at 16-20% usage and GPU was anything between 60-80% at 1440p with the system in my signature. So it does seem that the game doesn't utilise a GPU 100%.

What would tell you if your system is running as well as it can is to run another game known to push a GPU, if it's then around 90%, your system is running as it should.

Jun 17, 2022
I just ran Hell Let Loose, my CPU was at 16-20% usage and GPU was anything between 60-80% at 1440p with the system in my signature. So it does seem that the game doesn't utilise a GPU 100%.

What would tell you if your system is running as well as it can is to run another game known to push a GPU, if it's then around 90%, your system is running as it should.
Ok perfect. I will test a gpu intensive game and get back to you with results!

Jun 17, 2022

View: https://imgur.com/a/tnAi3yu

I put rust on at max settings, getting around 70-80 fps. Seems there are spikes in gpu usage as shown in this screenshot