[SOLVED] Why is my cpu running 'hot'

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hello,
I'm really confused by the temps I get with the r5 3600, when I benchmark my CPU it gets 70 degrees. That doesn't sound hot, but if you consider I'm using the noctua NH-d15 I think it's a little warmer than it should be with this cooler. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time!

Solution
Ryzen stock voltage can be a bit high causing this.

You arent going to get more than 200mhz more out of a 3600, so I wouldn't overclock. Instead, turn PBO on in bios and max out all values.

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
70c is fine, but what "benchmark" is this?

What are the stock voltages and clock speeds rising too?

I know 70 degrees is fine, but I heard for ryzen overclocking temps as low as possible ( for better OC) and 70 degrees is not considerd low for a high end cooler.
Cinebench, MSI kombuster
MHZ:3975 (stock)
Voltage: 1,375 (stock)
I didn't overclock yet.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I don't know how low the temp will get on the Ryzen because it appears they all run hot... My 3900X will hit 95-100 degrees under load, so yours is a LOT cooler. The lowest I seen on my rig is about 49-50 degrees. I have a MSI MPG Gamer Pro carbon WiFi with 16GB RAM, Ryzen 3900X and a MSI GTX2070 GPU...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I just updated the MSI BIOS to 1.10... It made some difference in the voltage. It varies around 1.28 volts. But the core temp still hits 95 degrees. I believe that the new BIOS gives a more accurate reading of the voltages, no real changes in behavior but I could be wrong...

Aug 31, 2019
I don't know how low the temp will get on the Ryzen because it appears they all run hot... My 3900X will hit 95-100 degrees under load, so yours is a LOT cooler. The lowest I seen on my rig is about 49-50 degrees. I have a MSI MPG Gamer Pro carbon WiFi with 16GB RAM, Ryzen 3900X and a MSI GTX2070 GPU...
are those 95-100 degrees in celcius? and is that ok for these ryzen processors? Im running the 2700x myself, just curious. I have seen the highest temp on mine with stock cooler at 78

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Yes... That's Celsius... I replaced the stock AMD Wraith Prism air cooler with a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO. That dropped the temps to about 40-45 degrees idle and 85 degrees from 95 under load. Also, the CPU voltage would never drop below 1.375 V. AMD has never released the 3900X's TJMax but many speculate it is 95 degrees. I feel that 95 degrees is to hot and may shorten the CPU's life and reliability. Hopefully, BIOS updates will fix these issues in the near future.

I then went into the power settings in the control panel and changed the plan to AMD Balanced. I also changed the CPU load to a max of 99%. That dropped the temps further to 40-45 degrees and about 70-75 degrees under load. That does limit the CPU to 3.72 GHz and prevents it from going to boost mode (BTW, my CPU has never attained the max 4.6 GHz, the max I have seen was 4.55 GHz). I noted once the CPU goes into boost mode the temps skyrocket. But once I limited the CPU to 99%, the voltage dropped to 1.1 V.
Using the Power Saver plan and dropping the minimum CPU speed to 5% will drop the idle temp to 38-40 degrees, the CPU speed to 2.8 GHz and voltage to 0.9 V. When putting the CPU under load, it will ramp back up to 3.7 GHz..

I use my PC primarily for encoding videos using Handbrake (I don't play any games, that's why I went with the AMD Ryzen 3900X, it handily beat the Intel i9-9900X in productivity applications). On my old Intel i7-6700K PC the program would hit 100% CPU usage all the time when running Handbrake. The 3900X never peaks more than 80% CPU usage with Handbrake, which means the CPU is never stressed by the app. When restricting the CPU speed to 99% made absolutely no difference in the time to encode a video. What took 120-150 minutes on my old i7-6700K PC now takes about 35-45 minutes, on the same encoding quality (HQ or SHQ mode).

On a side note. Handbrake has the ability to use the GPU to encode videos. I now have a NVidia RTX2070 GPU. When using the GPU to encode videos, the speed is notably quicker, dropping the encode time to 10-25 minutes. I imagine the latest GPUs from NVidia would be even faster, maybe 5-15 minutes with the RTX2080 Super or Titan GPUs. I understand by using Intel's QSV mode in their latest CPUs is supposed to be even faster)

I have run into some compatibility issues with videos encoded with QSV. But all is not perfect with the Ryzen. I have found a couple of minor apps that will not run on the AMD CPUs but run fine on Intel systems (confirmed by the app developers).

Aug 31, 2019
Yes... That's Celsius... I replaced the stock AMD Wraith Prism air cooler with a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO. That dropped the temps to about 40-45 degrees idle and 85 degrees from 95 under load. Also, the CPU voltage would never drop below 1.375 V. AMD has never released the 3900X's TJMax but many speculate it is 95 degrees. I feel that 95 degrees is to hot and may shorten the CPU's life and reliability. Hopefully, BIOS updates will fix these issues in the near future.

I then went into the power settings in the control panel and changed the plan to AMD Balanced. I also changed the CPU load to a max of 99%. That dropped the temps further to 40-45 degrees and about 70-75 degrees under load. That does limit the CPU to 3.72 GHz and prevents it from going to boost mode (BTW, my CPU has never attained the max 4.6 GHz, the max I have seen was 4.55 GHz). I noted once the CPU goes into boost mode the temps skyrocket. But once I limited the CPU to 99%, the voltage dropped to 1.1 V.
Using the Power Saver plan and dropping the minimum CPU speed to 5% will drop the idle temp to 38-40 degrees, the CPU speed to 2.8 GHz and voltage to 0.9 V. When putting the CPU under load, it will ramp back up to 3.7 GHz..

I use my PC primarily for encoding videos using Handbrake (I don't play any games, that's why I went with the AMD Ryzen 3900X, it handily beat the Intel i9-9900X in productivity applications). On my old Intel i7-6700K PC the program would hit 100% CPU usage all the time when running Handbrake. The 3900X never peaks more than 80% CPU usage with Handbrake, which means the CPU is never stressed by the app. When restricting the CPU speed to 99% made absolutely no difference in the time to encode a video. What took 120-150 minutes on my old i7-6700K PC now takes about 35-45 minutes, on the same encoding quality (HQ or SHQ mode).

On a side note. Handbrake has the ability to use the GPU to encode videos. I now have a NVidia RTX2070 GPU. When using the GPU to encode videos, the speed is notably quicker, dropping the encode time to 10-25 minutes. I imagine the latest GPUs from NVidia would be even faster, maybe 5-15 minutes with the RTX2080 Super or Titan GPUs. I understand by using Intel's QSV mode in their latest CPUs is supposed to be even faster)

I have run into some compatibility issues with videos encoded with QSV. But all is not perfect with the Ryzen. I have found a couple of minor apps that will not run on the AMD CPUs but run fine on Intel systems (confirmed by the app developers).
Thanks for all the information. I found most of this extremely helpful. I actually just set my CPU power mode to balanced (it was running in ultimate for some reason). I do play some games, but primary use for this machine is school work, and browsing. I see my 2700x staying idle with .902v-1.1v and then loads cause it to ramp up to 1.3v.

Your processor, by the way, is more than capable for gaming. The Gen 3 ryzens are kicking Intel's butt as of late (and not smashing on Intel, because they are still holding a lot of titles in this battle). The shear speed with AMD's multi thread and multi core functions (not gaming) is starting to pull away from Intel. What kind of heats/wattage/speeds are you getting out of that RTX 2070? I am thinking of upgrading to that from my 1660Ti.

... AMD has never released the 3900X's TJMax but many speculate it is 95 degrees. I ...

No speculation needed, it's quite factually 95C:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600

They also have a CPU Thermal Trip Limit set at 115C. I believe hitting that limit will result in immediate system shut down to protect it from damage.

But it's still highly desireable to stay under 75C because the boosting algorithm inhibits boosting if it doesn't see some thermal margin below the practical operating limit of around 80C.

BTW: if you get the latest version of HWInfo64 it reports out those limits in CPU information section. They are 'fused' in by AMD at manufacturing. You can also see the 95C TjMax limit reported out by AMD's own Ryzenmaster utility.