djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
All of a sudden (pc prob 5-6 years old give it take) during a game (elder scrolls online) after about 5-10 minutes my pc restarts itself and gives me the message

“Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
Asus anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable…”(can’t read in the picture what was after ‘unstable’)

So far, all I’ve tried is unplugging from all power sources, taking out cmos battery, and holding power button to try draining any power left.

Anyone here actually have an updated solution for this issue? I ordered a new psu, hoping that fixes it.

**I also checked temps and during the game I saw cpu temps reach 50-60+ and I think that’s too high? I have a cpu cooler master maybe I need to reapply some thermal paste?

Any actual solutions would be appreciated. Thank you.

My specs are Evga 850 i think supernova
I7 4790k
980ti
Ssd and hdd
Asus motherboard Z97 a

second quick question while I’m here, I get blue screen of death occasionally while gaming and the error message always says “memory management” does this mean I need to replace memory? Thank you

Those temps are not too high.

First things to do are make sure you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed and the latest Nvidia drivers installed. It probably wouldn't hurt to check and see if you have the latest chipset drivers installed from the motherboard product page as well AND even simply reinstall the chipset (.inf) drivers that are latest on the motherboard product page.

How old is that power supply?

Download HWinfo, install it, run it, choose "sensors only" and uncheck "summary". Find the system voltage sensor readings and take a screenshot. Post screenshot here at "idle". Take another screenshot of the system voltages (12v, 5v, 3v) while running your game and post that here as well.

Most often, that error message happens when there is actually something going wrong with the PSU, the motherboard or the graphics card, but anything that connects to the motherboard can trigger it if it has an issue.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
I can tel you that while I was checking to see if everything is plugged in correctly, as soon as I touched the 24 pin power cord it restarted the pc. I wasn’t even gaming at that point and it might have been coincidence but I’ve only noticed the shut off while gaming otherwise.

I'd pull the 24 pin cable and check the plugs and pins at both ends to make sure there isn't a loose or bent pin at either end. Inspect the sockets they plug into as well to ensure there are no small pieces of broken plastic or other debris in the socket and that the sockets themselves on the board and power supply are not loose or broken, and then reseat both ends of the cable making certain they are FULLY seated so that the locking tangs are engaged.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Recently something has been triggering my asus motherboards anti siege protection feature, making my ox restart itself during gaming.
I bought a new pay 100 watts less (750 Evga gold) and I was playing my game like an hour or so everything was fine. Then randomly my ox shut down, and now it won’t power on.

Anyone know what is happening? Should I replace the psu? I have 980ti, i7 4790k, ssd and hdd, couple fans, asus motherboard few years old or more. 750 watts should still be more than enough right? Not sure what to do now could use some advice to help me solve this. Thank you!

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
I have a 980ti, i74790k, ssd and hdd. My asus motherboard starting triggering asus anti surge protection randomly and restarting my pc. I ended up getting a 750w Evga gold standard psu, installed and played for an hour everything seemed fine. Then my pc randomly shut down and it won’t turn back on. Currently all I’m doing is buying more watts 850 arriving today. Not sure what else it could be any advice? Thank you.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
I'd pull the 24 pin cable and check the plugs and pins at both ends to make sure there isn't a loose or bent pin at either end. Inspect the sockets they plug into as well to ensure there are no small pieces of broken plastic or other debris in the socket and that the sockets themselves on the board and power supply are not loose or broken, and then reseat both ends of the cable making certain they are FULLY seated so that the locking tangs are engaged.

I jammed the wrong plug into the cpu socket on the motherboard but doesn’t seem like anything is too damaged. When I press the paper button sometimes the power light on my case goes on briefly then fades to off.

Keep in mind my pc still isn’t booting up.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
Plugging in my new psu I kinda shoved the gpu power cable into the cpu plug on the motherboard. Shoved it pretty hard but realized it was the wrong one. How do I check if I damaged something?

My pc ran for an hour then it shut down and won’t turn in. When I press the power button it briefly shows the power light then it fades out. Pc won’t power up so I tried to get an 850w instead of 750 and won’t know till I get off work

If you plugged ANY wrong connector into ANY wrong socket on the motherboard, then all bets are off and the most probable answer is that the board is damaged.

"Jamming" anything into anything, is never necessary, and about 100% of the time results in the kinds of problems you are having or an entirely dead system. Nothing ever needs to be "jammed" into anything to fit. But even "gently" plugging something into the wrong place usually results in either some kind of problem, or magic smoke.

If a new PSU doesn't fix the problem, and I'd be careful that you don't smoke the power supply too if something is damaged on the board, then I'd be looking at a new motherboard and some therapy so you can learn to be patient enough to make sure that what you are plugging in somewhere is the right thing, and to not jam things where they don't belong. Sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

Also, in the future, it would be good to know that something was plugged into the wrong place BEFORE you ask about anti-surge messages.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

That's the pcie. The EPS 4+4 is pretty similar to the 6+2 except for 1 thing. All those 12v power yellow boxes on the bottom row of the pcie are on the top row of the CPU/EPS.

Essentially you direct shorted the psu 12v rail to Ground. Partially through the cpu. So whether anything has now survived is anyone's guess, no way to tell for sure until/unless you rebuild/replace parts.

The temperamental Asus Anti-surge is absolutely the last thing to be concerned over now, most ppl just disable it in bios.

That's the pcie. The EPS 4+4 is pretty similar to the 6+2 except for 1 thing. All those 12v power yellow boxes on the bottom row of the pcie are on the top row of the CPU/EPS.

Essentially you direct shorted the psu 12v rail to Ground. Partially through the cpu. So whether anything has now survived is anyone's guess, no way to tell for sure until/unless you rebuild/replace parts.

The temperamental Asus Anti-surge is absolutely the last thing to be concerned over now, most ppl just disable it in bios.
This is the correct, but more complicated version. Personally, I like to do this as well, but in some cases I feel like the "when you plug stuff into the wrong place you really screwed up" version works better for most people. LOL.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
If you plugged ANY wrong connector into ANY wrong socket on the motherboard, then all bets are off and the most probable answer is that the board is damaged.

"Jamming" anything into anything, is never necessary, and about 100% of the time results in the kinds of problems you are having or an entirely dead system. Nothing ever needs to be "jammed" into anything to fit. But even "gently" plugging something into the wrong place usually results in either some kind of problem, or magic smoke.

If a new PSU doesn't fix the problem, and I'd be careful that you don't smoke the power supply too if something is damaged on the board, then I'd be looking at a new motherboard and some therapy so you can learn to be patient enough to make sure that what you are plugging in somewhere is the right thing, and to not jam things where they don't belong. Sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

Also, in the future, it would be good to know that something was plugged into the wrong place BEFORE you ask about anti-surge messages.

Yeah it was a brain fart moment I even saw the labeled cords before I went to plug them in earlier. Really all damaged motherboard? What about gpu and other components. Haven’t tried new psu yet still at work.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Other component damage is possible, but a lot less likely. That's why there are protections built into motherboards and power supplies. It's also possible to not have damaged the motherboard, but it's really rolling the dice when you plug the wrong connector into the EPS 12v CPU power socket.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Don’t ban me I was gonna delete my last post but can’t find it. I’m not sure what is happening if someone can please help me. Originally my pc started restarting itself saying “asus anti surge has been triggered”

I’ve replaced the psu, motherboard, cpu. I went to turn it on today and the mobo lit up but the pc didn’t turn on. I u plugged the gpu and plugged into mobo shield and it booted to bios.

After I leave bios it restarts itself over and over again. Any ideas what I can do? Or what the issue might be? Thanks.

My bios doesn’t give me an option to save and exit to normal boot. It just says Save and Reset. So everything I leave bios it just resets computer…

Last edited: