Question Why is my steam download speed so much faster than the download speeds for other game launchers?

Jun 15, 2024
I got a new pc recently and my steam download speed went from 5-8mb/s to now 80-90mb/s. But for other launchers like Epic Games or Ubisoft, my mb/s is only around 8-10mb/s. My old pc's download speed was around 4-8mb/s for all launchers.

I believe my new motherboard supports wifi 6 or something, and my old motherboard was probably worse. But shouldn't the increased wifi speed in steam also apply to other game launchers? Or is it just because steam's bandwidth is more unrestricted?

My specs:
Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake 3.2GHz
ASUS Z790-V Prime WiFi Intel LGA 1700
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Super Dual White
Corsair RM850e 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX

Last edited:
Make sure you are also not confusing megabit per second (Mbps) values with MB/s.

Because, the Steam client also has an option under settings/"DOWNLOADS", where we can turn off this particular "display download rate in bits per second" option.

Just saying, because many get confused with this (megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB)), but if yours is now showing 80-90mb/s instead of 5-8mb/s, then your issue is different.

Most likely a region/server issue the ISP might be using. Though, not all download speed is determined by your internet or service provider. The content providers also have the ability to throttle transfers where they see appropriate.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i suggested speedtest as i figured his new Motherboard connection might just be getting better speeds than his previous adapter. We updated our router last year and my Wifi 6 connection gained 30ish Mbps so it could be his wifi connection just got faster.

5-8mb/s to now 80-90mb/s.

its still faster with the division by 8
10 to 11ish

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2024
i suggested speedtest as i figured his new Motherboard connection might just be getting better speeds than his previous adapter.

its still faster with the division by 8
10 to 11ish
New pc is giving me 71mbps download and 12 mbps upload. My old pc was at like 10mbps download on the website.

Jun 15, 2024
Make sure you are also not confusing megabit per second (Mbps) values with MB/s.

Because, the Steam client also has an option under settings/"DOWNLOADS", where we can turn off this particular "display download rate in bits per second" option.

Just saying, because many get confused with this (megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB)), but if yours is now showing 80-90mb/s instead of 5-8mb/s, then your issue is different.

Most likely a region/server issue the ISP might be using. Though, not all download speed is determined by your internet or service provider. The content providers also have the ability to throttle transfers where they see appropriate.
Yeah, that was the reason. Thank you

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Steam has good download speeds. No idea how high. My internet plan provides 500mb downloads. I get 480mb download speed on speedtest.net. When I download a game on Steam I get a maximum of 60MB/sec. That translates into 480mb/sec.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Or screenshots of the results from speedtest