[SOLVED] WiFi Connection Drops After Launching Any Game, Comes Back After Game Is Closed

Apr 2, 2020
I've been experiencing an odd problem after installing my new GPU (RX 570). Whenever I launch a game my WiFi connection goes from "Connected, Secured" to "Connected, No Internet" or loses the connection completely. Before I had my GPU and was using the iGPU, the same thing would occur if I plugged in a USB Device (Thumbdrive, etc), although games worked fine back then (at a much lower fps obviously). If I run the Windows Network Troubleshooter while a game is running in the background it fails to resolve the problem and says "Windows was unable to automatically detect this network's proxy settings". I've also found that the same thing happens when running a GPU benchmark, for example Unigine Heaven
Another thing I find odd is that if I connect to my mobile hotspot, all of the problems disappear and everything works perfectly. This would leave me to believe it is a problem with my route-modem combo, however it works perfectly fine with every other device in the house.
Relevant Info:
  • My USB WiFi adapter is the DWA-171, I am using this driver for it.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M S2H (in case it matters)
  • The networkthat I am connected to is 5GHz
  • Due to circumstances, Ethernet is not an option
  • I don't think it is a range/signal quality problem since it worked before I had my GPU.
What I've Tried:
  • Restart modem-router combo, both through the web interface and by unplugging it.
  • Re-install USB WiFi adapter drivers and my motherboards LAN drivers.
  • Uninstalling the USB WiFi adapter from Device Manager and re-installing it.
  • Doing a full network reset through the settings app.
  • ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
  • netsh winsock reset
  • netsh int ip reset
  • Different USB ports (USB 2 and 3)
  • Setting the WiFI Adapter to Max Performance in power options
  • Not allowing windows to turn off the WiFI adapter in power options
  • Using the whole D-link suite and connection manager.
  • Updating motherboard BIOS to the newest version (F50)
  • Re-installed Windows 10.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to if the GPU is under load, my WiFi will drop out.

Last edited:
Solution
I found the problem, turns out the EMFs generated by my GPU when it is under load were enough to interfere with 5GHz WiFi signal coming from my router. I simply got a USB cable extension and placed the USB WiFi adapter around 2m away from my PC, everything works perfectly now.
Apr 2, 2020
I found the problem, turns out the EMFs generated by my GPU when it is under load were enough to interfere with 5GHz WiFi signal coming from my router. I simply got a USB cable extension and placed the USB WiFi adapter around 2m away from my PC, everything works perfectly now.

Reactions: rugupiruvu
Solution

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Well, you just saved me a massive headache!
I also noticed that my wifi was dropping as soon as I was launching and playing a game.
I could not find in my head how the hell the two were connected so a quick google search and I stumbled upon your post.
You were right!!!!
Turns out, I connected my <Mod Edit> wifi usb key on the front usb port and it was too close to the GPU I guess.
Now, with a cable extension, it works without a hiccup so massive thanks to you!!!

Last edited by a moderator: