Question Wifi to my desktop suddenly became very unstable and slow after 10 months of minimal issues

DavidStridh

Distinguished
May 14, 2016
I've been living in a basement for the past 10 months, sharing a Wi-Fi connection. My dad helped me set up an ASUS router in my room to boost the signal, which is connected via ethernet to my desktop. This setup worked fine for a while, with typical speeds of 20-40 Mbit/s for both download and upload. I could stream, browse, and play games like WoW without issues.

However, recently the internet has become extremely slow and unstable, often dropping to 0.5-2 Mbit/s and sometimes it just stops working outright (tested on https://www.bredbandskollen.se/ let me know if there are better sites to test on). Pages barely load, and gaming is impossible. Oddly, the Wi-Fi on my phone still works fine.

I'm not sure what additional details might help, so please let me know what info you need to better understand the situation.

Very grateful for any help!

Pretty much you are using a external wifi card that looks like a asus router. It does not improve the wifi or get better signals levels than say a USB nic...well it is better than those very tiny USB devices you get for $5.

Maybe your phone is using 2.4g and the pc 5g or the reverse. You could try placing the router in a different location in the room.

Basement blocks lots of wifi signal so there is no good solution. You shouldn't play online games on any kind of wifi even the best signal can get random interference causing lag spikes in the game.

I would look into MoCA devices if you have coax cable in both location. If that is not a option maybe powerline networks would work for you. With the ones that have a 1000 or 2000 number on them you should get over 100mbps in most houses and it will be much more stable than any wifi.

Reactions: DavidStridh

DavidStridh

Distinguished
May 14, 2016
Pretty much you are using a external wifi card that looks like a asus router. It does not improve the wifi or get better signals levels than say a USB nic...well it is better than those very tiny USB devices you get for $5.

Maybe your phone is using 2.4g and the pc 5g or the reverse. You could try placing the router in a different location in the room.

Basement blocks lots of wifi signal so there is no good solution. You shouldn't play online games on any kind of wifi even the best signal can get random interference causing lag spikes in the game.

I would look into MoCA devices if you have coax cable in both location. If that is not a option maybe powerline networks would work for you. With the ones that have a 1000 or 2000 number on them you should get over 100mbps in most houses and it will be much more stable than any wifi.
Thank you so much for the quick and thorough response!
I've been looking into powerline network but wasn't sure if that would be any better.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I've been looking into powerline network but wasn't sure if that would be any better.
powerline is much worse than moca because of too much noise.

Moca will run at rated speed, yet worst powerline case can be only 1/10 of the speed of the spec.