[SOLVED] Will having a hard drive only with Operating system increase speed?

Ibraimo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
i have 4 hard drives (HDD) one of them has the operating system im not gonna lie its kinda full and makes it very very slow
so im planing on doing some changes such as moving everything, apps, files, to other non-operating system hard drives ( please note i don't mean files like "windows""program data" 😑) i mean just installed softwares and games, and only leaving essentials behind.

If i do this will it increase starting speed?

Solution
hard drives can slow down when you put more info on them, as the head has to move around more to access the files on each platter. unless you defrag a lot. They shouldn't slow that much.

you might think ssd is obvious choice and a dumb answer, but they don't slow down until you have used 90% of their space, so compared to hdd they are always a faster speed for most of the time.

wonder if defragging my mums pc will make it any faster.

Colif

Win 11 Master
buy an ssd and use it as boot drive with just windows, thats fastest option.

Otherwise having windows on a hdd by itself really won't speed it up that much. The advantage to having more drives is more you lose less in install situations if all your data on other drives.

Ibraimo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
buy an ssd and use it as boot drive with just windows, thats fastest option.

Otherwise having windows on a hdd by itself really won't speed it up that much. The advantage to having more drives is more you lose less in install situations if all your data on other drives.
sure why didn't i think of that, i will buy ssd

Ibraimo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Not really, no.

Being "kinda full" may be an issue, but just moving things to a different drive is no real difference.
so how come its fast at first but after you add files it becomes slower? , all my hard drives are usb and detachable, (exept the OP system)
Because lets imagine a scenario in which my hard drive only has OP system, and i boot up my pc and it's fast.
but if i add all my other usb hard drives, will boot take even longer? because i just can't understand how exacly will that make it slower? is it because of the programs installed?

USAFRet

Titan
so how come its fast at first but after you add files it becomes slower? , all my hard drives are usb and detachable, (exept the OP system)
Because lets imagine a scenario in which my hard drive only has OP system, and i boot up my pc and it's fast.
but if i add all my other usb hard drives, will boot take even longer? because i just can't understand how exacly will that make it slower? is it because of the programs installed?
As Windows starts up, it looks at all the other drives as well. No matter what is on them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
hard drives can slow down when you put more info on them, as the head has to move around more to access the files on each platter. unless you defrag a lot. They shouldn't slow that much.

you might think ssd is obvious choice and a dumb answer, but they don't slow down until you have used 90% of their space, so compared to hdd they are always a faster speed for most of the time.

wonder if defragging my mums pc will make it any faster.

Solution