[SOLVED] Will using a USB Video Graphics Adapter allow me to output 144hz display to my monitor?

compangit27

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Good Day to all of you!

I have a laptop setup connected to a 144hz monitor, unfortunately, I can't get 144hz output from my external monitor due to my laptop not having DVI or Display Ports.

Here is my Laptop: Specification GT70 0ND | MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation
You can see photos for its ports here: MSI G Series GT70 0ND-491US 17.3-Inch Review - PCGameBenchmark

My monitor: HKC-M24G3F – HKC PHILIPPINES ULTIMATE MONITORS
The monitor has HDMI, DVI-D Dual Link, and a Display Port.

While surfing the internet I came upon this Video Graphics Adapter that can solve problems on mobile phones that do not support MHL (What is MHL?).
Video on Solving MHL problem with it (You can ignore this) :
View: https://youtu.be/Vi4obA0xWnw

The Video Graphics Adapter: UG3501H USB 3.0 to HDMI Video Graphic Adapter - WAVLINK See the world! Powered by Wavlink

Upon reading the description of the video graphics adapter, I noticed that it supports DVI display. I was wondering if it could solve my 144hz monitor problem by plugging it in one of my laptop's USB 3.0 ports then connecting an hdmi cable to it and put a DVI-D Dual Link Adapter to the hdmi and finally plug it to my monitor.

Can this Video Graphics Adapter allow me to display 144hz on my monitor?

Any insights about this? I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
That adapter won't solve your need for 144Hz. Adapter's like the one you've linked can do 60Hz, at best, if not 30Hz.

Your panel needs to hook up to a Display Port in order for you to gain access to 144Hz, as stated in the pages' description in the second paragraph.
144Hz refresh rate
This monitor has a refresh rate of 144Hz. That is 144 times per second that the image is replaced. This ensures that with rapid movements in the image, it will continue to look smooth. So no blurry and shocking images. Connect the monitor via the DisplayPort.

You laptop lacks the necessary ports and standards, IMHO, considering how old your laptop is. Further reading here.

Lutfij

Titan
That adapter won't solve your need for 144Hz. Adapter's like the one you've linked can do 60Hz, at best, if not 30Hz.

Your panel needs to hook up to a Display Port in order for you to gain access to 144Hz, as stated in the pages' description in the second paragraph.
144Hz refresh rate
This monitor has a refresh rate of 144Hz. That is 144 times per second that the image is replaced. This ensures that with rapid movements in the image, it will continue to look smooth. So no blurry and shocking images. Connect the monitor via the DisplayPort.

You laptop lacks the necessary ports and standards, IMHO, considering how old your laptop is. Further reading here.

Reactions: compangit27
Solution