Win a $400 New Egg Gift Card or an Eee PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What with all the FUD about IE8? I've been using it for 5 months now without a single crash, slowdown, or problem. It's more stable than any other browser I've used, and it's more standards compliant any any previous version. Do you guys have spyware installed, or are you running some heavy-handed "internet security" suite? Maybe you should download Spybot S&D and do a scan.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
[citation][nom]myker[/nom]What with all the FUD about IE8? I've been using it for 5 months now without a single crash, slowdown, or problem. It's more stable than any other browser I've used, and it's more standards compliant any any previous version. Do you guys have spyware installed, or are you running some heavy-handed "internet security" suite? Maybe you should download Spybot S&D and do a scan.[/citation]

I couldn't have said it better.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Full disclosure: I don't work for Microsoft, and am not affiliated in any way with MS. I'm not a brand-loyal person... I use both Intel and AMD, I liked Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I use Visual Studio, and I use open-office. I just use what works for me. seboj thinks this is a binary argument, either all-in or all-out. Can't one just like a certain technology because it works, not because it is affiliated with some company or internet religious movement? (P.S. I previously submitted my comment under myker, and just signed up as a member, mykem)

G

You used IE and standards compliant int he same sentence? Unless IE8 changed something, IE is anything but standards compliant.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]mykem[/nom]Full disclosure: I don't work for Microsoft, and am not affiliated in any way with MS. I'm not a brand-loyal person... I use both Intel and AMD, I liked Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I use Visual Studio, and I use open-office. I just use what works for me. seboj thinks this is a binary argument, either all-in or all-out. Can't one just like a certain technology because it works, not because it is affiliated with some company or internet religious movement? (P.S. I previously submitted my comment under myker, and just signed up as a member, mykem)[/citation]

This comment brought to you by Microsoft.

Microsoft: When money just isn't an issue.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mykem[/nom]Full disclosure: I don't work for Microsoft, and am not affiliated in any way with MS. I'm not a brand-loyal person... I use both Intel and AMD, I liked Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I use Visual Studio, and I use open-office. I just use what works for me. seboj thinks this is a binary argument, either all-in or all-out. Can't one just like a certain technology because it works, not because it is affiliated with some company or internet religious movement? (P.S. I previously submitted my comment under myker, and just signed up as a member, mykem)[/citation]
Of course one can. But would you use a software developped by the KKK even it it works best for you? Indeed M$ ain't no KKK but my point is than some people here use specific software for other reasons.

More here:
http://debian.org/social_contract.en.html
Read the DFSG, very interresting...

But this is pointless regarding the current article. What would be very interresting is to know the motivations to host such a contest? Objectivity has just taken a hit...

G

Microsoft: You can't buy loyalty, you cannot pay me to use IE. I'm sorry, nice try.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
This contest is not open to the EU because Microsoft will get fined up the yazoo for tring to bring IE8 to more people. Now, if Microsoft had a contest for people using everything except IE8, than it would be allowed in the EU.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
to thecoolonion: Good point on objectivity. It has taken a hit with this contest.

As for your KKK comment, I can't see how MS is remotely like that. Now, I don't know very much about MS or what they did to offend so many, despite the shaky merits of this contest. There are lots of companies with agendas, including those that support open source. At the very least MS is transparent about theirs. They aren't censoring criticism like other companies, they support their developers, their stated goal is to have Microsoft on every desktop in the world, and they seem to be doing exactly what they say they'll do without playing too dirty. Plus, they are big on philanthropy, giving out billions to help those in need. It's hard to find much fault. Maybe it's just human nature to yell and complain about whoever is biggest. It's easy to blame the world's problems on those that are successful.

I like free software as much as the next guy, but until there is a viable eco-system that can offer an alternative to MS, I'm happy to go with what works.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]mykem[/nom]to thecoolonion: Good point on objectivity. It has taken a hit with this contest. As for your KKK comment, I can't see how MS is remotely like that. Now, I don't know very much about MS or what they did to offend so many, despite the shaky merits of this contest. There are lots of companies with agendas, including those that support open source. At the very least MS is transparent about theirs. They aren't censoring criticism like other companies, they support their developers, their stated goal is to have Microsoft on every desktop in the world, and they seem to be doing exactly what they say they'll do without playing too dirty. Plus, they are big on philanthropy, giving out billions to help those in need. It's hard to find much fault. Maybe it's just human nature to yell and complain about whoever is biggest. It's easy to blame the world's problems on those that are successful. I like free software as much as the next guy, but until there is a viable eco-system that can offer an alternative to MS, I'm happy to go with what works.[/citation]

.... :O

This comment has been brought to you by Microsoft.

Microsoft: Brainwashing users since 1975.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
okay okay... Seems there are a lot of posts that says I'm being brainwashed. No matter where I look, and I've been looking for the past couple of hours, I can see hundreds of discussion threads that slam anyone that doesn't think MS is evil. Despite this crazy number, I have yet to find a single post anywhere that can say why MS is evil. Convince me.. I'm malleable and can change my viewpoint. But I need more than "you've been brainwashed." and "M$ is evil."

I have to maintain my position for now, because in reality, I think my opinion is echoed by the majority of people out there that MS isn't evil. The majority of people out there, including myself, see little to no value in mindlessly slamming Microsoft, because it has no bearing on my day-to-day usage of my computer. As long as my computer boots, runs my software reliably, prints, surfs the internet, supports my hardware, plays games... I don't care or see any compelling reason to hate the company that made it possible. If there's something out there can make a difference in my life as compelling as what MS provides, then I'll switch, but right now, my computer is stable, works great, and I'm happy with being able to purchase a printer or webcam without having to wonder whether it works or not.

Now.. convince me to change my viewpoint... I still have no brand loyalty... I'll switch to something else at the drop of a hat if it's worth switching and makes me more productive.

G

I just uninstalled in IE8. It's crap compared to IE7. Then again, I'm using Firefox and Chrome mostly now.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mykem[/nom]okay okay... Seems there are a lot of posts that says I'm being brainwashed. No matter where I look, and I've been looking for the past couple of hours, I can see hundreds of discussion threads that slam anyone that doesn't think MS is evil. Despite this crazy number, I have yet to find a single post anywhere that can say why MS is evil. Convince me.. I'm malleable and can change my viewpoint. But I need more than "you've been brainwashed." and "M$ is evil." I have to maintain my position for now, because in reality, I think my opinion is echoed by the majority of people out there that MS isn't evil. The majority of people out there, including myself, see little to no value in mindlessly slamming Microsoft, because it has no bearing on my day-to-day usage of my computer. As long as my computer boots, runs my software reliably, prints, surfs the internet, supports my hardware, plays games... I don't care or see any compelling reason to hate the company that made it possible. If there's something out there can make a difference in my life as compelling as what MS provides, then I'll switch, but right now, my computer is stable, works great, and I'm happy with being able to purchase a printer or webcam without having to wonder whether it works or not. Now.. convince me to change my viewpoint... I still have no brand loyalty... I'll switch to something else at the drop of a hat if it's worth switching and makes me more productive.[/citation]

They're not evil they're jsut the dark side. "UNLIMITED POWER!" XD

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I gave IE8 a try with W7 when I was too lazy to make my way to the FF site. Not for me, even if it involves a 0.01% chance of winning a prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.