Win one today! Seagate BarraCuda Pro & IronWolf Pro 14TB capacity enables 4K gaming and your high capacity creative workflow.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I want next?
Today gamer and developers collide in many ways. Games come with development environments to create new worlds on the steam platform. This can lead into TB size game folders with models, bump mapping, and or bitmaps multi-layers. For my gaming needs I need one large hard drive as the price of other options is way outside my means.

What do you need in your new gear?
Fast CPU, more RAM capacity, Video cards handling 4~8K video, a small but fast boot drive, and 2 large hard drives to ensure redundancy of my more important data.

How should game or gear developers meet your newest demands for amazing experiences?
Keep developing but dont lock themselves into a spec that holds them back. Hard drive makers for example should look into implementing 2 X 3.5inch platter, spindle, read/write into a single 5 1/4 drive case. The 14TB max could be 28TB tomorrow by using 2 3.5inch innards in a 5 1/4 drive casing. Hard drive makers should follow the way of SLI and multi CPU sockets to meet future data storage needs.

Indy_Nathan

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
What do I need?
Let's be honest. We are gamers. We dont use the word "need". Almost everything we deal with is better stated "want". What do I want? I just upgraded from a 7900K to an 8086K and went all out on RGB. It was a fun build. so my WANT/ NEED will be upgrading to the new Intel Skylake-X chipset and new CPU in about 6 months. Currently, I also have 2x 10TB Ironwolves in RAID 1 along with a 12TB Ironwolf for storage. I need more space. So the 14TB would be a great addition. Personally I would prefer the Ironwolf Pro drive, but I would suffer through (first world struggles) a Barracuda Pro drive as I am using a 1TB 960 evo for my OS/Gaming Drive.
I am looking forward to the new CPU with more cores at higher clock speeds. I currently run my 8086K at 5.0GHz all the time. My 7900K was clocked at 4.5GHz. It is not just a gaming machine but also a work machine. I am also going to upgrade to the 2TB 970 Evo as I am low on space on my C: drive. I am also going to upgrade to an RTX 2018 FTW3 Ultra because...well...gaming looks really pretty on my 34" curved ultrawide monitor with all settings on ultra or maxed out.
How should game or gear developers meet your newest demands for amazing experiences?
I have always been about Details in games. I love the new Ray Tracing technology and games are getting more realistic every year. I would love to see more games work with my HTC Vive for VR experience as well. Also Seagate, WHERE ARE YOUR M.2 NVME SSDs? I would love to see something from you in that field. Samsung has ruled the market for a long time and now WD is now there with the Black Editions. I would love to see something from you in that market. (i know its not part of the answer, but I had to throw it in there). For me, it would be very cool if the games designed for consoles, (SINCE MOST GAMES ARE DESIGNED ON A PC ANYWAY then ported over to console), would be ported over for PC. Lets see more of the mainline games hit PC market as well so we can see what the game can really look like in an environment that is actually designed for full detail, rather than compromised to "work" with a console. And with that I step down from my soapbox. Thank you and I will be here all week.

k.skarbek

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
What do you want from your gaming next?
More photo-realistic shaders and modeling. 4k resolution is pleanty high enough. I'd rather see more gaming look like you are playing a IRL movie than jumping up to 8k.

Reliability. Back in the day, and I'm only 34, stuff was built to last. Now everything is built to be replaced in 2 years.

Engage all of the community not just the loudest on facebook and twitter. Don't focus on the latest fad.

nrk

Sep 13, 2018
More good offline games, both single player and couch co-op. Without needing to be signed in online.
Where I live there is only dial-up internet available, even satelite is out-of-the question due to being too far north and surrounded by hills and tall trees, even signing into steam is a big issue, and requires taking up the only means of communication.
I love gaming, but it really sucks that it is becoming common to have always-online features in local games.

Reliability, and durability, and lots of space :D
I have to travel a long ways every few months with my PC to be able to download games, much of the year on very bad roads and trails by ATV and snomachine.
Keeping my entire steam library installed is a must, because a couple hour journey in the dead of -40 winter to install that game I want to replay is not happening.

Good RPGs and games with long stories to keep me entertained through the dark months.
More local multiplayer, I bought a good rig, and it has the power to do pretty splitscreen, So it is really disappointing when developers cut splitscreen for a PC release. Splitscreen on consoles requires them cutting quality (and often the FPS still tanks); in the games that support it on PC, I can keep settings cranked, FPS smooth, and even hook up a second screen so the player get more screen real estate. Please don't let couch gaming die.

kingbob2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
more polished complete experiences. I've had enough of games that come out broken, or with mechanics that are half baked and only stand up to maybe a first hour of play.

speed and reliability.

start by going back to the basics and make sure the fundamental systems work well and are completely thought out.

bryonssmith

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
As a PC master race user, a couple of SSD's are all I need. However, just picked up a PS4 and MY GAWD do those games add up quick. Where is the 2.5" 6-12TB Firecuda at a reasonable price? :)

giogi

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
i would like to have a chair, like that one from the movie "Ready player one" in which i sit on it and i get immersed very well in a virtual reality.

omegadoom13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
What do you want from your gaming next? More affordable components. RAM prices are still pretty high as well as GPU prices because of cryptomining.

What do you need in your new gear? Speed, reliability, value, performance.

How should game or gear developers meet your newest demands for amazing experiences? More FPS games :D

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Imagine the possibilities of that much storage on your multimedia platform. No need ever for picking one or the other or compression of files that are too big. And enough space to dream BIG.

Xenophage2112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
- What do you want from your gaming next?

Higher quality VR titles.

- What do you need in your new gear?

As a content creator I need lots of storage at a low price, and I want it to be cool and quiet. As a gamer I need performance. Having both in a single rig is essential.

Work to bring prices down on on components, and improve the performance and affordability of VR.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
What I really need. Are drives that when I do two or more high data usage tasks come to a crawl. By this I mean one data operation goes at 200mb/s. But as soon as a second operation happens, or even the same task is doing read/writes - suddenly we are moving data at 5-10mb/s. I call it the traffic jam. I need large storage to use 50 GB data sets that doesn't stop at a read/write task. This would make my life much better.
Large video files for example, muxing out the audio track from a 200GB 4K video causes this slow down, as it's reading the 200GB while trying to pull out the 5GB audio and write it to the same disk.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I prefer single player games and there seems to be far too much push to put things online and multiplayer. I would like this trend to either reverse or we need more gaming companies so they can meet both sets of peoples needs.

What do you need in your new gear?My system is about 7 years old now and pretty much needing to be replaced in total.

Gear developers should aim for and hit gamers rather than miners needs.
Game developers should aim for a more modest online presence and cater more towards single player offline gaming.

Aug 27, 2018
For developers to build quality games (like Witcher 3).
Looking at higher capacity SSD's.
Keep moving to a more photo realistic experience, like RTX.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

They make SSDs that would probably be nearly the same price in the end. I'm not talking about the screaming NVME drives, but the M2 Sata or traditional Sata drives. 1TB is as low as $125 sometimes. Faster than anything mechanical.

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
More single-player, or at least offline modes for multiplayer-oriented games. More consumer-friendliness (no DRM, no predatory microtransactions). A man can dream...

Not much, I already have what I need, but you can never have enough storage :)

Make products that show attention to detail, that ooze "we're proud of what we've made"

Sep 18, 2018
Better graphics and better enemy AI

Faster performance with realistic and varied NPC's

Better UI's and and automation (automated Overclocking) and allow me to customize my experiences.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
think i could fit the library of congress on this thing? dang i could surely hold an entertainment collection of store bought full file size 4k hdr disks though wonder how many it'll fit? did someone say gaming well no way i could fill it with games lol, anyways i thought i had entries to this already? as far as gamer gear the new nvidia 2080 is looking quite nice would love for real time ray tracing to take hold and it not just be some fad with limited games doing it.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What do you want from your gaming next? I have better things to do with my computer than act like a pimple faced 13 year old pretending to be something he'd never do in real life.

What do you need in your new gear? A unit that can easily crunch multi-thousand cell spreadsheets, multi-megabyte databases, and beaucoup mail merge files.

How should game or gear developers meet your newest demands for amazing experiences? Try to remember that a majortiy of people use their computers as tools, not toys.

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
This would be a great addition to my video editing rig. I am lazy and 4k video is a storage hog.

1) I want games to stop with the loot box meta

2)I am happy with my current rig, but cheaper ram and graphics cards would be nice

3)Again this goes back to price. I am able to buy what I want, but I know a lot of ppl out there are forced to use older gear simply due to their fiscal situation.

Sep 18, 2018
A 14TB drive would be great to store all of the video footage and audio libraries I currently have across multiple 3/4 TB drives. Probably better to have two of these in a RAID, just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS