Question Windows 10 Problems- Start menu, win10 applications, sound all not working.

Hexacool

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Hello All,

I have recently run into some problems with my computer (surprise surprise). The start menu and Cortana on the task bar aren't responding to clicks- When I press the button, the start menu just does not open. It also does this when I click it. I don't get anything from right click either. I also cannot open task manager- it just opens and then crashes. I cannot use any of the "Modern" Windows apps- Edge, Groove Music, The Microsoft store, Settings, nothing. I have tried many restarts, including restarts of individual services, but nothing has worked. I don't know what caused this issue- It just randomly started one day. My sound is also disabled- the system still detects all of the devices, but says they aren't plugged in (I thought possibly a driver error but they were all up to date. I couldn't find "Realtek HD Audio" or the like in the drivers either.

Any help is appreciated.

Sean87NC

Honorable
Jun 12, 2017
I have seen this problem at work with Windows 10 machines we have deployed out. We normally just swap the machine out because it is the easiest method for fixing the issue and then I will reimage it unless it is an actual hardware problem etc.

You need to boot into Safe Mode with or without networking and see if you still have problems. Safe mode will disable all but what is essential to running Windows. This will help troubleshoot your problem. You can also try either of these two options. If system restore was enabled and you have a restore point. You can try restoring your computer to a previous restore point when the computer was working fine. Another option is to use the Reset option in Advanced Troubleshooting boot menu. You can do the Reset This PC option while in Windows 10 alternatively.