[SOLVED] Windows 7 Fresh install - Cannot connect to network - Ethernet driver installation wizard interrupted

jaasif

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
So here's the situation. I just wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Everything went smoothly until I realised I could not connect to the network. In fact, I could not even detect networks with the ethernet cable plugged into the pc. I went into Device Manager and saw that my ethernet manager (or whatever it is called) did not have drivers installed. After some searching I found the drivers, loaded them in via usb, and tried to install. However, everytime I try, I get an error message saying the install wizard was interrupted before installation could be completed, and the system was not modified. I tried running as admin of course, but no luck.

I tried my wireless adapter, but no luck there either. Windows couldn't detect the hardware.

I downloaded and installed the windows update convenience rollup and tried installing the ethernet driver after that, but still no luck.

I tried installing my motherboard's driver for the lan connection, but no luck there either. Same error message.

I spent the majority of the day trying to figure this out and track down different drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: My pc specs:

Motherboard: Asrock z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: Radeon 7850
Ram: 16gb of something or other

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

I believe that you mean "Network adapters" - not "ethernet manager" via Device Manager.

Use Device Manager to identify the make and model Ethernet adapter and go to the manufacturer's website to download the applicable drivers. Likely Realtek

Run "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt and post the results.

That information will help identify the installed ethernet adapter and find the correct driver,

jaasif

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Updated my original post to include system specs.

Took another look and it's Ethernet Controller that's missing drivers, along with a few other things such as PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, etc. (I think these are motherboard components?)

I did look at the hardware id for the ethernet controller, and it was Broadcom Gigabit Netlink Controller. This was the driver I had tried earlier when I got the error message "The wizard was interrupted before Broadcom Gigabit Netlink Controller could be completely installed. System has not been modified."

I ran the ip config prompt, and here's what I got:

Primary Dns suffix...:
Node Type...: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled...: No
WINS Proxy Enabled...: No

I don't know if that's useful info or not.

TRENDING THREADS