Windows 8 Has a Slightly Friendlier Blue Screen of Death

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Wait.. so we won't get fancy codes that specify what the problem is anymore? We just get a general issue listed? FAIL.[/citation]

I would assume this is because people end up doing more damage when they don't know what to do other than use google to "fix" the problem.

MS has put alot of effort into crash dumps over the years, so you should at least have a mini-dump to look at.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Won't work, sadly, because you can cause them on purpose by unplugging HDDs...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]I can't remember the last time I saw a BSOD. It has probably been at least a year or maybe two. /Windows 7[/citation]
I didn't have a blue screen for the first year or so I had Windows 7, but in the last couple of months I've had probably 3 or 4.

I've only had issues with the latest software version of Logitech's gaming software. I think I may have just found a solution for it. I don't exactly blame Microsoft for this, Logitech's latest software is not their best work.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]Notice the finer print that we can't read (not that it's so small, just a not-so-great pic of a screen shot) - that has the technical information.[/citation]
I saw that but that's just a general notice. Maybe it's the nature of this particular BSOD, but I'd like a bit more detail.

I know I can view the minidump after the fact, but sometimes that's not practical, or possible (in the case of a really bad problem that prevents booting).

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
So Microsoft can't STOP the BOD from happening ... so they decided to just make the BOD look a bit silly instead.... I will skip Windows 8 anyways.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]hah, Macintosh has had this since 1984![/citation]

What? Coloured Screens of Death? What do MacSheep and Apple call it? iDied?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]ROFL, I love this one! I think I'm gonna yoink it for a background![/citation]

That's exactly what i thought when i saw it :D

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]user 18[/nom]Haven't seen a BSOD in a long time - except for the one I set as my screensaver[/citation]

Epic! Hysterical....

I like most of what I have had from MS but they clearly need to put some personality back into their products...I wish they would let the folks that create and code the OS add some of their personal touches to Win 8, of course with the option to disable them if you wish.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I've had a Vista pc for three years and two Win 7 rigs for over a year now and haven't seen a BSOD on any of them. The only way you'll see a BSOD nowadys is user error.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Wait.. so we won't get fancy codes that specify what the problem is anymore? We just get a general issue listed? FAIL.[/citation]

I'm certain you mean "failure". For someone who cannot comprehend simple conjugations, my guess is you won't be able to understand any amount of code or error reporting anyway, so just don't worry about it, son.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'm certain you're new to teh internets, sir. I suggest using Google to look up things that you don't understand... it tends to be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.