May 21, 2020
I’m getting a new motherboard and know you’re meant to reinstall Windows, I’m wondering how to go about this. I have Windows currently on my SSD, will I need to delete the files from there so it can do a reinstall? I have a usb with Windows to boot from and I know to enter bios and make it the first etc I’m just confused about what to do with my existing windows on my ssd.

Solution
Assuming you're using Windows 10, I've reinstalled it a handful of times before. When you plug in the USB stick that has the windows installer on it, it should give you at least two options:

- A clean install where everything is deleted from your SSD / hard drive and ONLY windows 10 is installed

Or

- Reinstall windows and keep your files from your previous install of windows. This option should give you a new
install of windows without losing your personal files and documents

I don't think you need to wipe your drives ahead of time, windows takes care of that for you depending on what options you choose above.

If you do keep your files I don't think your old motherboard drivers will transfer over with it, I believe it...

Furzumz

Reputable
Assuming you're using Windows 10, I've reinstalled it a handful of times before. When you plug in the USB stick that has the windows installer on it, it should give you at least two options:

- A clean install where everything is deleted from your SSD / hard drive and ONLY windows 10 is installed

Or

- Reinstall windows and keep your files from your previous install of windows. This option should give you a new

I don't think you need to wipe your drives ahead of time, windows takes care of that for you depending on what options you choose above.

If you do keep your files I don't think your old motherboard drivers will transfer over with it, I believe it will install the new motherboard drivers assuming Windows has them (windows is usually pretty good with drivers generally speaking)

Solution
May 21, 2020

Or

If you do keep your files I don't think your old motherboard drivers will transfer over with it, I believe it will install the new motherboard drivers assuming Windows has them (windows is usually pretty good with drivers generally speaking)

With a clean install will I need to reinstall all my apps and games that are on my HDD? I will be reinstalling windows (clean install) on my SSD so I understand all my apps (steam, origin discord etc) will need to be reinstalled but what about my steam games and apps (spotify) on my HDD.

Furzumz

Reputable
With a clean install will I need to reinstall all my apps and games that are on my HDD? I will be reinstalling windows (clean install) on my SSD so I understand all my apps (steam, origin discord etc) will need to be reinstalled but what about my steam games and apps (spotify) on my HDD.

Oh I see what you're asking

To be honest, I'm not sure how that works as I've never tried keeping the data on my other drives. I've always just backed up what I wanted to keep on an external hard drive before reinstalling windows

Some people have recommended unplugging the drives you don't want wiped. In this case you can try unplugging your hard drive if you're installing windows on your SSD and plug your hard drive back in once Windows is done installing on your SSD. Just make sure your computers off when you plug or unplug anything.

But I don't know how this will work with Steam. I'm not sure if it would possibly need any files on the old install of windows that will be erased when you do a clean install and I dunno if it would let you reuse your old steamapps folder

Sorry I'm not much of help on this particular issue