Question Windows restarting my GPU driver while playing games

Sep 15, 2023
Hello, I recently built a PC and everything booted up and ran correctly, but I've been running into some issues playing games. I will post the PC specifications at the bottom. Whenever I am playing a game, the games will crash periodically anywhere from 5 minutes in, to a few hours in.

With most of the games, the application will just freeze for a moment and crash. However, with one game in particular I am getting this error message:

image.png

The computer itself doesn't restart, but the game closes. With all of the crashes, the game will close but my desktop will still function normally.

So far, I've tried completely uninstalling the GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalling fresh (I did this in safe mode). I also tried both sticks of RAM individually on their own (they have been installed in slots 2 and 4, and I tried them on their own individually in slot 4 for each), and both allowed the PC to boot fully. I ran the windows diagnostics on the RAM as well, and there was no issues

To verify if the GPU was not having heating problems, I monitored the temperature when the crashes were occurring, but it seemed to be nowhere near overheating. The temperatures capped out around the mid to high 60s in Celsius

I saw that it may be related to hardware accelerated GPU scheduling as well, so I made sure that was turned off. I am not overclocking any devices on my PC, everything is running at default/factory speed

I've checked my chipset drivers for the processor, and those are up to date. Windows is also updated fully, and I've run health diagnosis's which returned no errors. I am out of ideas on what could be causing these crashes.

I also have some screenshots from Event Viewer after the crashes, with this error code appearing in all of them:

image.png

The errors always seem to contain this same message, with nvlddmkm. I am really not sure where to go from here and I have no idea what is causing the issue. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated on how to test things!

Here are the specs for the PC:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 4500
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A Micro ATX AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston NV2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME SSD
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
Power Supply: NZXT C550 550 W
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Power Supply: NZXT C550 550 W
How old is the PSU in your build?

Asus PRIME B550M-A
BIOS version for your motherboard?

GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
If this build was built recently, was the GPU purchased used?

Does this issue crop up with only one game/title or others in your game library?

Sep 15, 2023
Hello, thank you!

1. My power supply is brand new

2. Here is my current BIOS version:
image.png

3. The GPU was purchased used, I got it from a friend. It was working in their PC up until the day I got it according to them (they played a variety of games and didn't have any type of errors)

4. So far, I've only really played 2 games with the computer, but both have had similar issues. The first was league of legends, which gave me the above error and crashed. The second was genshin impact, which also has been freezing and crashing randomly, but with no error popups. Both have the same common error in event viewer